Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1188335 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8010 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:34:07 »

I don't really understand why it's referred to as lockdown anymore, it's not as if people are actually being forced into their basements or anything. Restrictions maybe, but why must it keep being referred to as a lockdown?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8011 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:34:52 »

The simplest one of course - don't create a culture at work that makes people come in when ill.
Flashheart

« Reply #8012 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:36:23 »

Lockdown for ever then?

Textbook strawman. Did I say lockdown should last forever? (The answer is no, I didn't)

Of course there will be a time where lockdown will have to be lifted, but that time is surely not when cases are surging again and there's a fuck ton of people still left to be jabbed.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8013 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:38:37 »

The UK gets between 10-20,000 flu deaths every year with, presumably, a much larger number of people who shrug it off at home. How does that compare to the present situation?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8014 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:43:01 »

The UK gets between 10-20,000 flu deaths every year with, presumably, a much larger number of people who shrug it off at home. How does that compare to the present situation?

At 55 per day for the upper range, the current trend would be below that number.  You'd expect it to increase a little after all restrictions are lifted and the UK is running around 10-15 right now.

That's why I think a combined vaccine would be a good project to get working on, given they seem to have followed similar paths in the past 18 months.
Panda Paws

« Reply #8015 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:49:04 »

Textbook strawman. Did I say lockdown should last forever? (The answer is no, I didn't)

Of course there will be a time where lockdown will have to be lifted, but that time is surely not when cases are surging again and there's a fuck ton of people still left to be jabbed.

I've no idea what a strawman is. I also in no way suggested you said we should lock down forever.

The vaccines work (90% plus for both major suppliers). Everyone who is vulnerable to covid is protected (or as much as they can be). Another month of restrictions, another month of decimating huge swathes of industry for something that's about as dangerous as hay fever at this point.

Edit: To clarify I don't know the number of deaths of hay fever. It was tongue-in-cheek, before anyone suggests I should join SAGE.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:55:17 by Panda Paws » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8016 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:54:05 »

I don't really understand why it's referred to as lockdown anymore, it's not as if people are actually being forced into their basements or anything. Restrictions maybe, but why must it keep being referred to as a lockdown?
There are still a shit ton of people still too scared to venture outside. Vaccines, data, Boris telling them all is well, isn’t going to get them outside any time soon.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8017 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:55:45 »

I've no idea what a strawman is. I also in no way suggested you said we should lock down forever.

The vaccines work (90% plus for both major suppliers). Everyone who is vulnerable to covid is protected (or as much as they can be). Another month of restrictions, another month of decimating huge swathes of industry for something that's about as dangerous as hay fever at this point.

That's the point, early data is suggesting somewhere between 60% and 88% efficacy for the Delta Variant, but the latest report suggested it wasn't yet to be relied upon.  I assume because insufficient time has passed to confirm those numbers to be true (they could drop lower if people keep rocking up at hospitals).  If they do hold true, then it's likely back to the original plan.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8018 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:57:48 »

It would be interesting to know if any of the new cases have had a vaccine or is that too sensitive information

So, give no fucks
Panda Paws

« Reply #8019 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 18:58:22 »

That's the point, early data is suggesting somewhere between 60% and 88% efficacy for the Delta Variant, but the latest report suggested it wasn't yet to be relied upon.  I assume because insufficient time has passed to confirm those numbers to be true (they could drop lower if people keep rocking up at hospitals).  If they do hold true, then it's likely back to the original plan.

This seems conclusive?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-hospitalisation-from-delta-variant
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8020 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 19:17:20 »

after 2 doses + 3 weeks..
Panda Paws

« Reply #8021 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 19:18:45 »

after 2 doses + 3 weeks..

So everyone at increased risk should be well and truly protected by now. Great.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8022 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 19:23:43 »

they only did the over 50s recently
---
did you watch the press conference?

it basically said in the North West hospitalisations are rising, which is expected to follow elsewhere

The pause is to limit social contract while getting the vaccine rollout to effective levels .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57476776
Panda Paws

« Reply #8023 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 19:31:16 »

they only did the over 50s recently
---
did you watch the press conference?

Listened to it.

Since when were the over 50s deemed vulnerable to this, unless they have other health conditions (and therefore would have been jabbed earlier)?

I suppose we all have different opinions, but the toll this is taking in people is extreme and the risk/reward is miles off now. We've paralyzed millions with fear, destroyed the lives of young people for months and months.

I get that others see it differently.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8024 on: Monday, June 14, 2021, 20:00:36 »

over 50s were always part of the 9 vulnerable groups .

I get it's crushing for those suffering mentally beyond the normal. 21st was always conditional though

There has to be an end, which I suggest is 19th..

I don't think we'll go back to life exactly as before for some time
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 534 [535] 536 537 538 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: