Pages: 1 ... 897 898 899 [900] 901 902 903 ... 907   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2186352 times)
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #13485 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 13:27:42 »

It's a landslide. They have 291 seats more than the next biggest party and a very clear majority overall.

They played the game, not chase the 'popular vote'.

Bollocks. It’s hardly an endorsement- 34% of the vote yet you get 64% of the seats. That is not representative basically 1 in 5 adults voted for them and they have a stonking majority.

Even Boris winning by 11% last time and a majority of half the size was ridiculous as well.

Not advocating for PR as that has its own pitfalls but the system has to be reformed. As someone else said Starmer got less votes that Corbyn in 2019. A system where you get double the seat tally from one election to the next with an increase in vote share of 1.6% ain’t fit for purpose
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13486 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 13:42:29 »

The Lib Dems got almost the exact same percentage of votes as last time and 6 times the seats. The system is silly, but at the same time, it's not as simple as just saying that if there was full PR, the vote tallies would be unchanged - we know a lot of people vote tactically because we know how FPTP works.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13487 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 13:50:38 »

Bollocks. It’s hardly an endorsement- 34% of the vote yet you get 64% of the seats. That is not representative basically 1 in 5 adults voted for them and they have a stonking majority.

Even Boris winning by 11% last time and a majority of half the size was ridiculous as well.

Not advocating for PR as that has its own pitfalls but the system has to be reformed. As someone else said Starmer got less votes that Corbyn in 2019. A system where you get double the seat tally from one election to the next with an increase in vote share of 1.6% ain’t fit for purpose
It's not a strong mandate. But it's a landslide victory.

If you want to play numbers you can do that over everything. More people didn't vote for Brexit than did.

Change the system. I voted to do so in 2011, right now I'm glad it didn't go through or that fucknugget Farage would actually have a proper voice
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #13488 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 16:53:05 »

It's not a strong mandate. But it's a landslide victory.

If you want to play numbers you can do that over everything. More people didn't vote for Brexit than did.

Change the system. I voted to do so in 2011, right now I'm glad it didn't go through or that fucknugget Farage would actually have a proper voice

Don’t be ridiculous. 52% voted for Brexit on a higher turnout of 72%.

Fact is the majority voted for Brexit who did turn out to vote- on Thursday only a third of those who voted went for Labour which is not a vote of confidence at all.
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13489 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 16:57:19 »

How many reform voters would have voted Labour if reform didn't exist?  Hmmm
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13490 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 17:09:07 »

How many reform voters would have voted Labour if reform didn't exist?  Hmmm

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49762-general-election-2024-reform-uk-voters-are-not-benign-toward-the-tories-they-are-belligerent

It's been polled, not many. Most wouldn't have voted for Labour or Tory, but the ones who would have would have gone Tory at a much higher rate than Labour.

Ignore
« Reply #13491 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 19:28:34 »

So the diobolical Tories are out. Long overdue as they have a long history of shame. Despicable people. Not much faith in the current Labour party but anything barring Reform is an improvement on that last bunch of cunts. Hope Starmer and co pleasantly surprise me.

I wonder what Reg would make of this. I'd love to read his input on it bad sadly not to be. Best wishes all.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #13492 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 19:49:36 »

I think a lot of Labour voters are gonna be disappointed

Starmer has no principles- he flips backwards and forwards on most issues and everything he stood on to be leader in 2020 he has gone back on.

Didn’t agree with Corbyn and his politics but at least he had principles
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #13493 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 19:56:14 »

You still lost fellas, just get over it, relax. We're in control now and we'll tax your bollocks off
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #13494 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 07:51:40 »

You still lost fellas, just get over it, relax. We're in control now and we'll tax your bollocks off

Better take care of your bollocks too, citizen.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #13495 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 10:38:22 »

Nothing but leeches- taking off those who have done well and worked hard- same old Labour
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #13496 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 10:52:35 »

Nothing but leeches- taking off those who have done well and worked hard- same old Labour

Except, the pips that Healey tried to squeak had already insured themselves. Lo and behold I guarantee that the same scenario applies today. The wealthy can afford to vote labour, so can the ‘poor’, the rest of us have to pray we can.

If the country is in as big a shit hole as the left would have us believe then it is going to cost shit loads to redress. Which means, cuts, borrowing or more tax.

Of course there is another way and that is making the government machine more productive, less wasteful and more efficient. My last point is a moot one, cuts aren’t going to happen either, so it is borrowing, which the opposition poured scorn on or more tax, which again the opposition poured scorn on and rightly so.

It’s easy being in opposition, let’s see how easy it’s going to be for them in government.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #13497 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 11:43:11 »

I think a lot of Labour voters are gonna be disappointed

Starmer has no principles- he flips backwards and forwards on most issues and everything he stood on to be leader in 2020 he has gone back on.

You've said this before and not provided an example. Can you give an example?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #13498 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 11:49:39 »

Personally, I thought that Sunak's final speech and Starmer's first speech both exuded class. The handover was super dignified.

Agreed

P.S. Please someone tell the Liberals that politics is serious. No way would I ever vote for a party that is messing around all the time. Its immature.
Outside of the Con:Lab duopoly (witness PMQs, 2 Party leader debates, Question Time appearances) it is very difficult for minority parties like the Lib Dems to get their message heard.  Farage manages it.  And this time, Ed Davey managed it. Succeeding in being the only leader to see his personal ratings increase.  

Doubtless not you - but media pundits who wanted to block their ears and the LD message, castigated Davey's stunts.  But they were reported and those whose attention was caught by the stunts and who additionally listened picked up on serious issues affecting carers and water pollution.  Serious, real life issues.  

Having overtaken the SNP nationally to secure "third place", I expect the LDs to now be in a better position to raise consciousness of issues facing carers and on water pollution and so on.  That is a serious political outcome.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #13499 on: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 11:58:51 »

Except, the pips that Healey tried to squeak had already insured themselves. Lo and behold I guarantee that the same scenario applies today. The wealthy can afford to vote labour, so can the ‘poor’, the rest of us have to pray we can.

If the country is in as big a shit hole as the left would have us believe then it is going to cost shit loads to redress. Which means, cuts, borrowing or more tax.

Of course there is another way and that is making the government machine more productive, less wasteful and more efficient. My last point is a moot one, cuts aren’t going to happen either, so it is borrowing, which the opposition poured scorn on or more tax, which again the opposition poured scorn on and rightly so.

It’s easy being in opposition, let’s see how easy it’s going to be for them in government.
Fair points about Labour.

But did the self-styled tax-cutting party walk the walk as well as talk the talk?  Absolutely not - the reverse in fact.

I think the Tory record of tax rises (as well as it's disastrous and costly lurch to deep tax cuts) might just hint that the country IS indeed in as big an economic shithole as "the left" would have it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 7, 2024, 12:01:10 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 897 898 899 [900] 901 902 903 ... 907   Go Up
Print
Jump to: