Pages: 1 ... 896 897 898 [899] 900 901 902 ... 907   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2186358 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13470 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 18:43:44 »

And if you think the cost of some wind turbines is the reason your Leccy Bill went up, then you are barking up the wrong tree.  If anything, the fact the UK has managed to reach a position where zero electricity production is from coal & oil at times, should mean bills go down, but the stupid pricing system means it is still linked to gas prices.  Oil itself is traded, with production controlled, so that you continue to pay enough money to keep the profits rolling for everyone involved.
Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13471 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 18:53:07 »

China make the vast majority of solar panels - using energy from coal fired power stations.

Wind turbines have a short shelf life and can’t be recycled or disposed of ethically - same goes for those solar panels, too.

It’s all roundabout bollocks.

Looks like we’re doing something - we being the West - but it’s all negated by, mainly, China.
4D
That was definately my last game, honest

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #13472 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 19:08:14 »

Yep
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13473 on: Friday, July 5, 2024, 19:24:03 »

Incredible stat - no football league team of last season's 92 has a ground in the consistency of a Conservative MP. Only promoted Bromley break that - and they only won Bromley by 300 votes.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F6qb5ctd24rad1.jpeg
« Last Edit: Friday, July 5, 2024, 20:05:19 by Nemo » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #13474 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 09:05:22 »

And if you think the cost of some wind turbines is the reason your Leccy Bill went up, then you are barking up the wrong tree.  If anything, the fact the UK has managed to reach a position where zero electricity production is from coal & oil at times, should mean bills go down, but the stupid pricing system means it is still linked to gas prices.  Oil itself is traded, with production controlled, so that you continue to pay enough money to keep the profits rolling for everyone involved.

And therein lies the rub of reducing consumption of energy. Hypothetically, if every consumer in the U.K. reduced their consumption by 50 then then energy companies income would reduce by the same amount. Their profits would be decimated.

Similarly, shrinkflation on foodstuffs, eventually we’ll be buying nothing and paying a fortune for it.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #13475 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 09:09:47 »

Good morning all fellow Reds.
I was at the Labour election night party/rally at the Tate Modern as a guest of a communications company and Not the Labour party.. A few things I observed may be of interest.
There was very little obvious big time celebrations. No live music or celebrities for example. It was 500 party activists who were a mix of ages but the main demographic was 20-35 year olds. ( no kids at home to put to bed perhaps?)
I had been told that the Corbinistas had been purged with very few of the old skool 2019 involved. I wasn't believing that, but when Corbyns result came through there was total silence ( apart from me giggling!). Bearing in mind this was 3am approx and the bar had been going for 5 hours, I was surprised at the reaction. Make of that what you wi!l.
The other results such as Shapps getting chopped were met with glee as you might expect. The crowds were exuberant but well behaved. I had expected all sorts but saw nothing illegal. To be honest, it was probably the most sensible party I have ever attended.
The media operation was awesome to observe in creating an occasion from an empty room. Lots of hard work from very experienced operators over many hours. The media darlings arrived with Fiona Bruce in shocking salmon taking the eye. The crowds were summoned and positioned. Starmer arrived to euphoria, delivered a message for the faithful with the desired effect from the crowds. Hands were shaken and he was gone. I was just behind the autocue so had a brilliant view. He struck me as someone who is very serious about his position and wants to get on with the job as a matter of urgency. The whole vibe of the evening reflected that. A few more interviews followed with the likes of Neil Kinnock and by 6am all was done and being put away.
I have very little confidence that Labour will be able to get much done as there is a 3tn debt, media waiting to trip them up supporting the right shift of populism led by a shady second hand car salesman and those with nefarious motives. The macro world going ever more nuts has a feel of the 1930's to it. I hope that is wrong. I voted tactically as ever and just for once it paid off. Bye, bye Donelan! Good riddance. PR in some form has to happen as I and many other acquaintances are sick of tactically voting rather than voting with my/our hearts. Minorities like The Greens, would have more votes and many more seats as a result, more accurately reflecting the views of the people. Likewise the fascists. Still, Cable street happened before and can happen again.
I am grateful for the opportunity to have observed a little bit of UK history. I expect I missed things out but haven't caught up on sleep yet as it was straight back to the day job on the 7am out of Paddington.
You Reds!!

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13476 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 09:55:47 »

Corbyn had a larger share of the vote when he was leader then Starmer got by winning!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13477 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 10:12:33 »

Personally, I thought that Sunak's final speech and Starmer's first speech both exuded class. The handover was super dignified.

I think there are some utter chancers in the Tory party and a lot of them go their comeuppance. Truss keeping everyone waiting and then getting a slow handclap before losing was lovely. Penny Maudent was good carrying a sword, but glad she's gone.

Annoyed that Cruella, Priti Pathetic and Robert Generic are still around. They make an ineffective opposition, which is not good for the country. The other thing that is not good for the country, is the idiots that have voted for Farage and his bigots. You can tell the country is in dire straights when lots of people vote this way.

I hope that Starmer has properly weeded out the looney left and does indeed run government in the way that he pledged. I loved the new Health Secretary's comment - 'The NHS saved my life and ?I want to spend my life saving the NHS'.

But, time to see some long term action now. Please stop rivers being polluted, please make us forward looking on green energy (not just to look after the planet, but to boost the economy by being at the forefront of technology), please look to build influence with dodgy states to stop atrocities around the world and stop the need for mass migration. Please look to make opportunities for all, make the country proud of itself and reduce crime. Please also be good role models for citizens of the UK - Show everyone how to behave!

P.S. Please someone tell the Liberals that politics is serious. No way would I ever vote for a party that is messing around all the time. Its immature.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13478 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 10:18:36 »

Is it even possible for the Tories to elect a leader who isn’t from the Gove/Rees Mogg mould or who hasn’t been to Eton or Harrow? They’re all from privileges backgrounds who have no idea what ordinary life is like.

You could say similar about Labour who are just professional politicos who have never had a proper job in their life.

Where’s 2 Jags these days?
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #13479 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 10:23:47 »

Is it even possible for the Tories to elect a leader who isn’t from the Gove/Rees Mogg mould or who hasn’t been to Eton or Harrow? They’re all from privileges backgrounds who have no idea what ordinary life is like.

You could say similar about Labour who are just professional politicos who have never had a proper job in their life.

Where’s 2 Jags these days?

Two Jags, living the life of Riley, on the union and tax payers pocket. Same as Scargill, if he’s still breathing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13480 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 10:26:13 »

It's going to be 'interesting' to see

Will they do hard right to turn and regain reform voters

Or pivot back to center to try and pick up the protest vote.

With Sue Ellen and Patel still around I'm fearing the former. Particularly given what's going on in France
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13481 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 11:14:23 »

Wish the media would stop reporting it as a ‘landslide’ victory when more people didn’t vote Labour than did! As for the very few muted celebrations not sure why? I mean what’s going to actually change? Starmer already said in his first speech it’s going to take time, expect 5 years of blaming the Tories then until we do it all again.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #13482 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 12:09:17 »

Wish the media would stop reporting it as a ‘landslide’ victory when more people didn’t vote Labour than did! As for the very few muted celebrations not sure why? I mean what’s going to actually change? Starmer already said in his first speech it’s going to take time, expect 5 years of blaming the Tories then until we do it all again.

Couldn’t put it better myself. I did laugh yesterday at the percentage who voted labour as as has oft been stated on this here forum, the disdain for the same thing that put the conservatives in No.10, you know who you are.

As I see it it will be 5 probably 10 years before labour fuck it up and we have another conservative government, rinse and repeat adnauseam.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #13483 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 12:34:41 »

Wish the media would stop reporting it as a ‘landslide’ victory when more people didn’t vote Labour than did!

It's always been that way.  The reality of FPTP, sadly.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13484 on: Saturday, July 6, 2024, 13:16:20 »

It's a landslide. They have 291 seats more than the next biggest party and a very clear majority overall.

They played the game, not chase the 'popular vote'.
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 898 [899] 900 901 902 ... 907   Go Up
Print
Jump to: