Pages: 1 ... 756 757 758 [759] 760 761 762 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996255 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11370 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 15:53:50 »

That's just an aggregation of summaries from other news sources. It's not even "they said" it's "they said they said". Do you have a link to the original IMF report?
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #11371 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 16:50:15 »

I know it's between me and the ballot box but all I will say is that I am confident that the Red Flag will be flying over Cadishead Village Hall in the morning.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11372 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 19:17:04 »

Went and put my x's in the boxes for the PCC election (waste of time that is!) we aren't getting locals up here as they are thinking about abolishing the Council so present incumbents stay in place for now.

Likewise for me, PCC only. I didn't realise and was bloody disappointed when handed a sheet with only;

Tory
Labour
Lib Dem

Which made it much tougher for me than usual but seeing as it was only PCC, it really makes little jot except the council tax might go up a bit next year depending on who and if they fancy a few extra quid  Roll Eyes

Went at 4pm and they had 75 (I was 75) voters so far, out of a small constituency of 1000. Plus around 100 postal. I'll be surprised if we get 500 by 10pm. Nice people at the bowls club though...even if I expect some of them are from the more blue side of Yorkshire. The set up was just as easy as usual, except avec mask and separate cups for "clean" and "dirty" pencils.

Always doff the cap to all vote counters, as it is a day of tedium and I expect many cups of tea.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 19:24:55 by bamboonoclue » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11373 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 20:02:34 »

50% turnout for a PCC election would be unheard of heights I think, they're usually below 20% if they're not combined with another election at the same time.

Did my MSP constituency & list votes - the list one was as long as your arm, but at least helps if you're in a safe seat.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11374 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 20:58:48 »

Tories are going to clean up again aren't they? Sadly not in the sense of cleaning up their act though
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11375 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 21:20:40 »

Tories are going to clean up again aren't they? Sadly not in the sense of cleaning up their act though

As much as it is easy to knock such voting patterns, maybe one day the other parties will ask the question why? rather than just preaching (I see the irony, but I'm not a politician, so I don't have to worry about whether I am preaching or not, if I want to just condescend people, I can).
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11376 on: Thursday, May 6, 2021, 21:41:52 »

As much as it is easy to knock such voting patterns, maybe one day the other parties will ask the question why? rather than just preaching (I see the irony, but I'm not a politician, so I don't have to worry about whether I am preaching or not, if I want to just condescend people, I can).
Oh, absolutely. Been saying this since before the referendum. And preaching Smiley
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #11377 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 06:42:05 »

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11378 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 08:33:36 »

The most exciting part of the voting process was finding out that one of the councillers on the paper lives next door to us.

We followed up the voting process by going to our local and having 4 pints of Guiness and a decent chat to an ex-military man who is probably on the opposite side of the political spectrum to my wife and I. (apparently he had never voted blue until after the Brexit vote) He had his reasons for voting the way he did, and we have ours and at the end of the day democracy wins out.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11379 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:18:39 »

How unusual for a thread to be quiet at 7.40 am
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11380 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:20:14 »

Labour have proper fucked this haven't they? Still at least they can now spend the next six months with the left blaming the centrists and the centrists blaming the left which is what they're all happiest doing. Ineffectual arseholes
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11381 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:23:14 »

Labour have proper fucked this haven't they? Still at least they can now spend the next six months with the left blaming the centrists and the centrists blaming the left which is what they're all happiest doing. Ineffectual arseholes

It appears that they have learned nothing from the last election and just hoped things would get better. Getting exactly what they deserved I suppose.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11382 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:31:38 »

Thing is with Hartlepool, what seems to be very overlooked (I confess that I had no idea until pointed at the figures) the only reason Labour won it in 2019 was that UKIP split the right vote*, since the Hartlepool constituency was founded in 1974 the combined votes of: The Conservatives UKIP/Brexit & far right parties ...has ALWAYS been higher than 33% at election time. The only exceptions were 1997, 2001 & 2005... ...when Tony Blair was leader of the Labour Party. Indeed for half the elections since 1974, the right + far right in Hartlepool got 40-60% of the vote. The idea that Labour is suddenly struggling here because “it’s moved away from the left” or because “the red-wall has suddenly fallen for the right” simply doesn’t add up. Hartlepool got within 1 500 swing votes of a Tory MP in 1983 when Labour had its most left wing leader in it’s then history and Margaret Thatcher was standing on the back of a “patriotic Falklands victory campaign”.

* Yesterday, as entirely expected if you read beyond much of the MSM the right/far-right vote coalesced into one party - the Conservatives, while the non-right vote was split between 4-5 parties. so once again FPTP will put the Tories in the seat.

The one slight shocker, which I suspect will be brushed under the carpet by the most vociferous on social media, is that the Continuity Corbyn Party (NIP) polled lower than both the Greens or Lib Dems, and around 200 less than the anti-vaxxers.

I am not sure whether the conclusion to glean here is that Labour fucked it up (albeit they are in total disarray generally) or that at the present the electorate bar in the big cities is extremely nationalistic?

When's the London result coming out, as Hartlepool was a foregone conclusion the main issue is whether Binface can see off Waitrose Tommy Robinson.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:33:22 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11383 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:36:56 »

Thing is with Hartlepool, what seems to be very overlooked (I confess that I had no idea until pointed at the figures) the only reason Labour won it in 2019 was that UKIP split the right vote*, since the Hartlepool constituency was founded in 1974 the combined votes of: The Conservatives UKIP/Brexit & far right parties ...has ALWAYS been higher than 33% at election time. The only exceptions were 1997, 2001 & 2005... ...when Tony Blair was leader of the Labour Party. Indeed for half the elections since 1974, the right + far right in Hartlepool got 40-60% of the vote. The idea that Labour is suddenly struggling here because “it’s moved away from the left” or because “the red-wall has suddenly fallen for the right” simply doesn’t add up. Hartlepool got within 1 500 swing votes of a Tory MP in 1983 when Labour had its most left wing leader in it’s then history and Margaret Thatcher was standing on the back of a “patriotic Falklands victory campaign”.

* Yesterday, as entirely expected if you read beyond much of the MSM the right/far-right vote coalesced into one party - the Conservatives, while the non-right vote was split between 4-5 parties. so once again FPTP will put the Tories in the seat.

The one slight shocker, which I suspect will be brushed under the carpet by the most vociferous on social media, is that the Continuity Corbyn Party (NIP) polled lower than both the Greens or Lib Dems, and around 200 less than the anti-vaxxers.

I am not sure whether the conclusion to glean here is that Labour fucked it up (albeit they are in total disarray generally) or that at the present the electorate bar in the big cities is extremely nationalistic?
It's not an either or, necessarily. You can conclude that the Tories are riding a populist nationalist wave and also notice that Labour are a watse of space. I was talking more generally than just Hartlepool but I struggle to see how anyone can look at even the early results coming out and draw any conclusion other than that Labour are fucked, and their ongoing internal navel-gazing isn't helping.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11384 on: Friday, May 7, 2021, 09:43:12 »

It's not an either or, necessarily. You can conclude that the Tories are riding a populist nationalist wave and also notice that Labour are a watse of space. I was talking more generally than just Hartlepool but I struggle to see how anyone can look at even the early results coming out and draw any conclusion other than that Labour are fucked, and their ongoing internal navel-gazing isn't helping.

Oh they are, one only has to look at social media to see that there seem to be as many Labour 'supporters' wanting Starmer to fail as wanting him to succeed.

Some Interesting comments from David Allen Green this morning;

The political challenge is not to lie 'higher, further, faster' than the governing party

The governing party is better at this than any opponent

The political challenge is to make it matter to voters that they are being lied to

And that task of leadership is hard for anyone

How do you make voters care about being lied to?

By exposing lies? - No, that by itself has no effect

By new lies? - No, the governing party will be better at it than you

That is the ultimate challenge for opposition politicians, though they will attack each other instead.

It is interesting that polls repeatedly show that the public want political lying to be a criminal offence and yet they vote for people they know are lying because the lies fit their prejudices.

In slightly more cheery news the LD's seem to have stabilised and the Greens are having a good election.
Pages: 1 ... 756 757 758 [759] 760 761 762 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: