Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 ... 144   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 622177 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1905 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 10:11:11 »

Who was the posh spiv in the 'Sunderland til I die documentary'. Football just seems to be awash with these owners who seem to be on a merry go round from club to club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65808709

Lifelong Oxford fan and tried to buy them in the past. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Methven
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #1906 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 11:55:09 »

Yeah I noticed that their league system appears to be the most complex I've seen. I mean Antwerp seem to have won the league with 47 points from 40 matches, but in the third section, Charleroi have 48 points from 34 games.

Maybe we can ask Peter Venkman to start up a Football Manager challenge and he can explain how the league system works! 

I was looking at this last week.
At the end of the regular season the top 4 teams go into a playoff league where they carry forward half the points received throughout the regular season. They then play home & away in this mini-league.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #1907 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 14:40:32 »

The game has gone with VAR - how the fuck can that be a penalty?  Handball when a guy is in the air and it clips his fingers from 1 metre.  If those are the new rules then there is going to be a penatly every 10 mins - nobody will be going for goal, they will just be trying to hit the oppositions hands.

Keep it away from League 1/2 football please.

It's not VAR that is the problem. It's the people applying it. Pretty much every other sport has adapted and evolved to the use of technology to assist officials; why should football be any different or be so entitled as to not have it?

Btw, this is not a direct dig at you, I understand and feel similar about the way some decisions are given. A defender in football might as well just play with no arms because any hint of the ball touching their arm appears to have no context applied. This isn't the VAR technology {replays effectively} fault. Surely a ref/official equipped with the assisting tools can still apply the laws of the game when it comes to the basic hand ball rule that we all know - hand to ball, not ball to hand. Yes there may be an occasion where a super slowmo replay appears to show that a hand ball has occurred but still, context can be applied by the officials using VAR to determine if the hand ball that occured was deemed intentional.

They also need to go back to basics on offside. The application of the rule whilst largely done correctly, is being made a joke of when it comes to assistants not being allowed to raise their flag UNTIL that phase of play has ended. We end up with ridiculous scenarios where a player thinks they are onside, and so does their opponent sand play continues until they put it in the onion bag/miss/shot goes out for a not a corner/gets tackled etc and then comes back for a free kick for the initial offside. I've seen times where play has been allowed to continue {quite normally as if nothing happened} for a good thirty plus seconds before being called back. They either need to implement a 5 or ten second rule when applying the offside rule, depending on the scenario...like if there is lots happening in the box or there are players that would be offside yet step up or become inactive then this is fine and worth checking. In scenarios where it is a relatively simple offside decision, where everyone's glaucoma ridden Nan would be able to call it, there doesn't need to be any continuation of that phase of play because the flag can be raised instantly/as soon as the official has processed that said event occured. Surely the officials have the capacity to apply the rules in a relatively correct and efficient way - thus also making for a much more flowing game and less time wasted/lost/added on due to having to always wait until the phase of play ended?

The latter there isn't even a technology related issue, just poor application of the rules. Seems to be the theme here rather than any/no technology used...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1908 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 15:09:26 »

Classy touch not sure if it's ever happened in the U.K.

So, give no fucks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #1909 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 15:28:43 »

He certainly milked it. But, nice to see a referee given some respect at, what I assume was, the end of his career.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1910 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 15:37:37 »

It's not VAR that is the problem. It's the people applying it. Pretty much every other sport has adapted and evolved to the use of technology to assist officials; why should football be any different or be so entitled as to not have it?

Btw, this is not a direct dig at you, I understand and feel similar about the way some decisions are given. A defender in football might as well just play with no arms because any hint of the ball touching their arm appears to have no context applied. This isn't the VAR technology {replays effectively} fault. Surely a ref/official equipped with the assisting tools can still apply the laws of the game when it comes to the basic hand ball rule that we all know - hand to ball, not ball to hand. Yes there may be an occasion where a super slowmo replay appears to show that a hand ball has occurred but still, context can be applied by the officials using VAR to determine if the hand ball that occured was deemed intentional.

They also need to go back to basics on offside. The application of the rule whilst largely done correctly, is being made a joke of when it comes to assistants not being allowed to raise their flag UNTIL that phase of play has ended. We end up with ridiculous scenarios where a player thinks they are onside, and so does their opponent sand play continues until they put it in the onion bag/miss/shot goes out for a not a corner/gets tackled etc and then comes back for a free kick for the initial offside. I've seen times where play has been allowed to continue {quite normally as if nothing happened} for a good thirty plus seconds before being called back. They either need to implement a 5 or ten second rule when applying the offside rule, depending on the scenario...like if there is lots happening in the box or there are players that would be offside yet step up or become inactive then this is fine and worth checking. In scenarios where it is a relatively simple offside decision, where everyone's glaucoma ridden Nan would be able to call it, there doesn't need to be any continuation of that phase of play because the flag can be raised instantly/as soon as the official has processed that said event occured. Surely the officials have the capacity to apply the rules in a relatively correct and efficient way - thus also making for a much more flowing game and less time wasted/lost/added on due to having to always wait until the phase of play ended?

The latter there isn't even a technology related issue, just poor application of the rules. Seems to be the theme here rather than any/no technology used...

I dunno what you are all moaning about, thought it was a lovely nod to tradition for the the officials to give a soft and dubious penalty to Man Utd, you just don't commonly get that respect for football history these days!

In light of the train strike etc, my Man City supporting neighbour had to go down on a supporters coach from Barrow, he left home at 0430 on Saturday morning and got back in the door at 0230 on Sunday morning, he assures he won't be doing it again!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1911 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 15:42:18 »

He certainly milked it. But, nice to see a referee given some respect at, what I assume was, the end of his career.

Refereed his last match in LaLiga
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 17:57:24 by Jimmy QuitMoaning » Logged

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1912 on: Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 16:50:41 »

...lovely nod to tradition for the the officials to give a soft and dubious penalty to Man Utd, you just don't commonly get that respect for football history these days!

...my Man City supporting neighbour had to go down on a supporters coach from Barrow, he left home at 0430 on Saturday morning and got back in the door at 0230 on Sunday morning...

True that, it's a shocking indictment of the game  Cheesy

Haha, I've been there {as I'm certain many others have}. His only respite must be that at least he saw his team win? I did the v Preston trip from Derby via Stagecoach/National Express. Left at around 6am and was on something like an 11pm return...it turned out to be the piss up bus that left Golders Green and was heading for Leeds or Manchester. Not ideal when you've seen your team lose 0 - 4 after an absolute no show at Wemberrrleyyy. Got home around 1.30am Hmmm...

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #1913 on: Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 16:51:20 »

Referred his last match in LaLiga

Which match was he referring JQ and to whom?  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1914 on: Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 18:04:57 »

Which match was he referring JQ and to whom?  Soapy Tit Wank

He was referring to the last game he refereed in LaLiga, Mallorca v Rayo Vallecano which the home side won 3-0😆

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1915 on: Wednesday, June 7, 2023, 09:46:43 »

Sunderland selling over 31k season tickets  Grin
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1916 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 10:32:14 »

This just seems to make a nice change of a player and club agreeing something and then both sides keeping to it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65843148
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1917 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 10:39:01 »

This just seems to make a nice change of a player and club agreeing something and then both sides keeping to it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65843148

Declan Rice seems a really good bloke. And fair play to West Ham also.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1918 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 10:42:44 »

....and not to mention the 80 odd million that they'll probably get for him.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1919 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 10:45:22 »

....and not to mention the 80 odd million that they'll probably get for him.

Yes very true. Bellingham went for 115 million didn't he so I guess 80-90 million is probably ball park what the Hammers will be looking for.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 ... 144   Go Up
Print
Jump to: