Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 ... 146   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's right with football?  (Read 630812 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1890 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 11:59:52 »

it's definitely the rule

when defenders defend with their hands behind the backs like they are going to break into Riverdance, you know it's screwed
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1891 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 12:14:32 »

I don't know what the fuck you are going on about but you keep going back to teams, it's not about teams, it's about the bollocks rule.

Played by teams. Don’t get angry, it’s a wasted emotion 😉
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1892 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 12:56:39 »

The only thing not black and white about the offside rule is what part of the body they use to measure it.  Should the fact that an arm is offside mean that a player is offside?  Or a shoulder leaning forward mean that a player is offside.  They need to pick a point and stick to it.  Personally I think it should be based on the furthest point that either foot is at, at the point of the ball being struck for the pass, if a knee, shoulder or hand is further forward, it shouldn't be offside. The same measurement for the defender. The game is called football after all.

Yeah I'm in agreement with you there. Unfortunately you can technically score with your shoulder so guess that's why it's used when measuring. But I do think it should be the foot used, that would hopefully make it easier and quicker to check.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1893 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 14:11:03 »

The main problem with the handball rule for me is that the punishment doesn't fit the crime: a penalty is a 70% chance of a goal more or less, which for an innocuous handball in the box is silly. Change the punishment and I think the rule more or less works:

Deliberately using your hand to prevent a goal (e.g. Suarez v Ghana) - penalty and red card
Ball strikes hand, preventing a goal, but accidental/clumsy - penalty and yellow card
Ball strikes hand in box, but not preventing an immediate goalscoring chance - indirect FK from the edge of the box, card if deemed deliberate/negligent.

I'm sure there are reasons why it wouldn't work, but all the argument over what is and isn't a handball seems to miss the option of changing the punishment.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1894 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 14:15:25 »

Yellow cards for fouls can also be contentious. A mistimed tackle genuinely going for the ball yellow card. Deliberately tripping a player who's running away from you change to a red card.

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1895 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 14:30:12 »

Yeah I'm in agreement with you there. Unfortunately you can technically score with your shoulder so guess that's why it's used when measuring. But I do think it should be the foot used, that would hopefully make it easier and quicker to check.

You can score with your shoulder but it's the feet that determine whether your shoulder is in a position to be able to score Cheesy That's why I think feet are the logical measure to use.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #1896 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 14:34:59 »

Played by teams. Don’t get angry, it’s a wasted emotion 😉

Of all the things that get me angry, a plum on a forum not making any sense is way way down the list..  Don't be a Bamboo and start to read posts in totally the wrong way and believe that it is all about you..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #1897 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 14:58:05 »

Of all the things that get me angry, a plum on a forum not making any sense is way way down the list..  Don't be a Bamboo and start to read posts in totally the wrong way and believe that it is all about you..

Shhhh. Don’t wake Bamboo up for fuck sake.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #1898 on: Sunday, June 4, 2023, 15:23:50 »

Cheesy

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1899 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 08:23:32 »

An exciting end to the Belgian league yesterday. 3 teams could have been crowned champions and I think until 88 minutes, Union St-Galloise (who are a tiny Brussels club owned by Brighton owner Tony Bloom - their ground holds less than 10k) were going to be Champions. But they conceded an equaliser at home to Club Brugge which subsequently would have handed the title to Genk who were winning 2-1 at home to Antwerp. St Galloise then imploded chasing a last minute winner conceding twice to lose 1-3 but in the last minute of stoppage time Toby Alderweireld smacked in a long range rocket to make it 2-2 and hand Antwerp the title.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65805961

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1900 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 09:59:45 »

Charlton sold to new owners - the SE7 Group.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1901 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 10:03:55 »

An exciting end to the Belgian league yesterday. 3 teams could have been crowned champions and I think until 88 minutes, Union St-Galloise (who are a tiny Brussels club owned by Brighton owner Tony Bloom - their ground holds less than 10k) were going to be Champions. But they conceded an equaliser at home to Club Brugge which subsequently would have handed the title to Genk who were winning 2-1 at home to Antwerp. St Galloise then imploded chasing a last minute winner conceding twice to lose 1-3 but in the last minute of stoppage time Toby Alderweireld smacked in a long range rocket to make it 2-2 and hand Antwerp the title.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65805961

It was a bloody good goal as well https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1665430239277641729

Albeit looking at this, feck knows how their league works https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/belgian-pro-league/table
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1902 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 10:05:22 »

Charlton sold to new owners - the SE7 Group.

Who was the posh spiv in the 'Sunderland til I die documentary'. Football just seems to be awash with these owners who seem to be on a merry go round from club to club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65808709

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1903 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 10:07:26 »

His negotiations for Will Grigg are the stuff of legend. I hope he wants to buy someone off us!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1904 on: Monday, June 5, 2023, 10:08:36 »

It was a bloody good goal as well https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1665430239277641729

Albeit looking at this, feck knows how their league works https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/belgian-pro-league/table

Yeah I noticed that their league system appears to be the most complex I've seen. I mean Antwerp seem to have won the league with 47 points from 40 matches, but in the third section, Charleroi have 48 points from 34 games.

Maybe we can ask Peter Venkman to start up a Football Manager challenge and he can explain how the league system works! 

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 [127] 128 129 130 ... 146   Go Up
Print
Jump to: