Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Di Canio in Swindon manager talks  (Read 40102 times)
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 23:24:40 »

I don't care about his political beliefs.

More about the fact his appointment would either lead to us becoming even worse, or him doing a great job and fucking off as soon as a Championship club comes along.

What's the point? Short term it'd be great for the entertainment and excitement of attracting such a big name, it'd boost ticket sales for sure, but long term it doesn't seem to have great benefits.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 23:28:01 »

him doing a great job and fucking off as soon as a Championship club comes along.

Never understood this argument.

Any manager that comes in and does a great job is going to fuck off as soon as a bigger club comes along.

Doesn't matter whether it is Bodin or PDC, they'll be gone like a shot. Except maybe Hoddle as he's past all that shit.
SCM

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 23:41:27 »

See where you're coming from, but Paolo Di Canio managing a team at the top of League 2 would be far more appealing to a lot of clubs higher up the ladder than say, Paul Bodin doing the same.

Di Canio, like Wise, would surely be gone in a flash.
Lumps

« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 23:47:38 »

I've read some dick-waving TEF threads in my time, but this has to be the mother of them all.

Fuck off with your faux self-righteous indignation.

Fuck off with your Poxford / Wankbridge University educated (brainwashed) opinions. None of that bullshit impresses me.

If Di Canio is appointed, I'll back him. I'll do that because of his reputation as a footballer, his character, his potential and his obvious passion for the game.

If he comes out with any stupid political or religious based statements while he represents STFC, I'll join in with the lynch mob and will willingly slaughter him. Till then, leave the fucker alone and quit analysing his alleged past political beliefs.

If Wray appoints him, he'll probably divide opinion in many ways. He'll also unite the fanbase - if only for a while, depending on how successfull he is - in a way not witnessed since Dennis Wise came to town.

Surely that has to be a good thing?

There's nothing alleged about any of this, he wrote about his political beliefs in his autobiography.

And fuck off with your chippy "I'm working class and I don't take that middle class liberal shit" attitude. I was educated at the dreaming spires of  Park School in Walcot, Swindon College and Cheltenham and Gloucestershire CHE (now Univ of Gloucestershire).

You don't have to be middle class to not be a brainless twat.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 23:58:47 »

God, that list of educational establishments sheds some light on things....

....mine is similar, which will probably explain just as much.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 00:07:45 »

On the subject in question, while in a perfect world all extremists would be killed at birth by anal fire poker insertion, I'm kind of non plussed by Di Canio's polical leanings, however far right they may be.  I say that on the basis that, provided he is not an activist (at which point I'd be a lot more armchair annoyed and have to type lots on the subject) then I do not really see what business it is of ours unless he used his position at the club to express those views on, and influence, people.

I know PaulD took an extreme angle, by using the terrorist example as a comparison, but there is a difference.  I think I would equally be non plussed if our Manager held views suggesting he was a Marxist/Communist, but I'd be worried if he was actively involved in trying to topple our political system.  In the same way, he may be the opposite end of the politcal spectrum to me, but his support is of some of the ideology, not supporting a group looking to tak control of Europe in the 1940's.

He's undoubtably had a chquered past, but many people have.  Macari committed fraud, plenty of footballers have been convicted of assault, Harry Redknapp bankrupts clubs, and so on.  I happen to dislike, at least, his politcal convictions, but at least half the world probably do of mine I would guess.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 00:11:24 by RobertT » Logged
Talk Talk

« Reply #231 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 05:38:04 »

Di Canio would bring excitement.

I am currently bored and fed up with STFC with the last season one big bore and yawn. Don't want Rix, clapped when Magilton was run over by a taxi outside the Park End Club in Oxford.

Was excited when Macari, Hoddle and Wise were bought into the Club and would be again with Di Canio.

Something different, exciting and all this facist stuff a load of bollocks.
Di Canio is exciting. Pushing Refs, Stopping a game by catching a ball when a player was down injured when in a goal scoring position.

All exciting stuff. Supporting Swindon at present is dull.

Bring in Di Canio......get publicity and get the excitement back.

Bring it on..........the other candidates (other than Hoddle) simply don't get me excited. Roller Coaster maybe but I want August to look forward to.

I'm with Banbers. What was the other comment? "This season has been as dull as dishwater". Yup. Just imagine the feisty debate between the lefties and the righties it would generate (like this) for as long as he was here.

Personally I would like the whole of the Town End to give him a fascist salute when he walked out (whilst laughing at the same time) just to give Lumps and Paul apoplexy.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 05:55:35 »

I agree with Nick

/
W56196272
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 05:58:41 »

PDC gets my full backing - for too long we have lacked ANYONE who has the passion to inject life back into this club. The players, the fans and the board need a rocket up their arse and he is the man to deliver it.

This is the man who shocked us by pushing the ref over and equally shocked us by stopping play with an open goal opportunity when an opposition player was down injured. To me that displays both passion and compassion.

People didn't want ollie when he was clearly interested and now regret it - don't let this opportunity slip away, yes it may be tough at times for the board to manage PDC but businesses need challenge people to stop them becoming stagnent and we are teetering on the verge...
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 06:40:39 »

Glenn Hoddle has some fairly controversial views on the disabled, but I don't see many people kicking up about him being linked to the club.

As long as Di Canio kept his political opinions to himself and managed the club properly I'd be happy.

He won't get the job anyway.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 06:42:28 »

I've not got involved with the political side of this debate as I don't know enough about it, but one thing that struck me is this:

PDC's background/views have clearly brought out some strong opinions from our fans as evidenced by the huge number of threads and posts on the subject before we know for sure the guy is even being considered.

However I don't remember this being talked about very much when he was a player - in the media or by Shef Weds or West Ham fans.

Is this then something that has only come to light recently? Were the fans of those clubs just willing to ignore it?

I'm not trying to diminish the views people have on this issue - if you feel strongly about something you're well within your rights to express your outrage - I just can't help feeling this side of things has been blown out of proportion somewhat.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 06:49:04 »

Macari committed fraud,

I'm pretty sure he was found not guilty in a Court of Law? It was Hillier and Farrar who got done.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 06:49:44 »

I've not got strong views on his political, or ideological beliefs either. What I do have is a dislike for being told by people that he's some kind of Holocaust lover, because he did a few salutes and said he admired some parts of a facist dictator's make up.

FWIW, I don't think he'll be coming. Not because of his political beliefs, but because the board won't see him as the best candidate for the job.
If he does though, he'll have my full backing. I'll just have to try and stop myself becoming a far right fanatic because he's here...

It's All Good..............
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 06:52:27 »

FWIW, I don't think he'll be coming. Not because of his political beliefs, but because the board won't see him as the best candidate for the job.
If he does though, he'll have my full backing.

This.

Wouldn't be my first choice - I'd rather have Trollope or Money, for purely footballing reasons - but will get behind whoever gets the job.
Barry Scott

« Reply #239 on: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 07:46:40 »

I've not got strong views on his political, or ideological beliefs either. What I do have is a dislike for being told by people that he's some kind of Holocaust lover, because he did a few salutes and said he admired some parts of a facist dictator's make up.

If he does though, he'll have my full backing. I'll just have to try and stop myself becoming a far right fanatic because he's here...

Great post. Agree completely.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: