Pages: 1 ... 2507 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 2513 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5049001 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37635 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 09:12:54 »

Depends how they do it considering at present a return is normally only a couple of quid more than a single.  If they drop singles back to 50% the cost of existing returns then it will be cheaper, but if they just up returns to 2x present singles it will just be a con to get prices up further.

The government, for whatever reason, seem intent on running the railway system into the ground so who knows.

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this.

Currently in order to travel into London for work I have to pay £68 for a return ticket. I did an experiment and bought single tickets on specific trains way in advance and I was finding that I could buy 2 single tickets for £35 in total. (oddly the First Class tickets were cheaper than Standard Class)

So based on what you are saying, they could either increase the return tickets to £70, or reduce the singles to £34? Obviously in my example there isn't a lot of difference either way unless I am totally misunderstanding what you've said!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37636 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 09:28:03 »

Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this.

Currently in order to travel into London for work I have to pay £68 for a return ticket. I did an experiment and bought single tickets on specific trains way in advance and I was finding that I could buy 2 single tickets for £35 in total. (oddly the First Class tickets were cheaper than Standard Class)

So based on what you are saying, they could either increase the return tickets to £70, or reduce the singles to £34? Obviously in my example there isn't a lot of difference either way unless I am totally misunderstanding what you've said!!

Having seen a bit more about it, it suggests that the single will be half what a present return is, albeit I would suspect that will be based upon the present walk up rather than advance return fare.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37637 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 17:51:26 »

Our childminder ceasing business from the end of March, and having to find childcare mid-year. Nice unwanted stress

Got placed at risk of redundancy today, which would help the childcare situation 😎

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37638 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 18:03:15 »

ah shit Dave. sorry to hear that.

sat in limbo waiting for that myself
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37639 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 18:07:20 »

Cheers man. I’m fairly sanguine about it - if worse happens id get enough of a payment to give me enough time to find something else

Definitely a layer of hassle I don’t fancy though. The level of admin required - Jesus

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37640 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 18:15:53 »

indeed. it's an opportunity to spend some time you wouldn't have had with the little one too.

it happened to me when the youngest was not quite 1. it can be frustrating because you want to be job hunting but also brilliant

I'm sure it'll work out if the worst comes to the worst
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37641 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 20:43:47 »

Got placed at risk of redundancy today, which would help the childcare situation 😎

…the ‘wide?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37642 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 07:41:35 »

blimey

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23305946.hundreds-jobs-axed-bank-nationwide/

While investigating tip-offs about the incoming redundancies, the Adver also heard rumours of the Pipers Way head office possibly being closed in the near future.

Nationwide's spokesman added: "We haven’t made any decisions to close offices in Swindon.”

Nationwide moved its head office to Pipers Way in 1992 where it had previously held a computer and administrative office since 1974.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #37643 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 20:47:09 »

Zero chance of shutting head office
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37644 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 20:57:52 »

Wasn't the threat of job cuts first mentioned several months ago.

So, give no fucks
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #37645 on: Thursday, February 9, 2023, 07:29:37 »

Obviously not trivial and it may have been discussed pages back, but the enormity of what has happened in Turkey and Syria has hit home today. Really horrific.

And I (genuinely) hope this doesn't offend anyone, but something really fucked me off; the rescuers shouting 'God is great' when they heroically managed to rescue one person, despite the SIXTEEN THOUSAND that have died. Only indoctrination can achieve this level of complete head fuckness. The only ones who deserve any credit for rescuing people are the ones doing the rescuing. Madness
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #37646 on: Thursday, February 9, 2023, 08:24:58 »

Assuming you mean alluah akbar, I thought that was akin to ‘thank god’ - a general exclaim of relief, rather than a heavenly praise

Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #37647 on: Thursday, February 9, 2023, 09:12:23 »

Assuming you mean alluah akbar, I thought that was akin to ‘thank god’ - a general exclaim of relief, rather than a heavenly praise

From google: The literal English translation of the phrase Allahu Akbar is "God is greater".

To be honest, regardless of the meaning, if you are shouting anything but 'go fuck yourself Cunt' to the God you believe in that just allowed 16000 of your kin to die excruciating deaths (but apparently is great for helping you save one), there's something seriously wrong
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #37648 on: Thursday, February 9, 2023, 11:13:40 »

Trying to sell a brand new iPhone on Facebook marketplace, I’ve never used it before.
I’ve had closed to 50 scam artists message me, and not one genuine person.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37649 on: Thursday, February 9, 2023, 11:19:44 »

I’ve heard the favourite scam is to offer to pay by transfer, they show you the money leaving their account and they take the phone but the money never arrives.

Without sounding harsh, there is enough information out there about scammers that I’m beginning think some people deserve it for being fucking stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 2507 2508 2509 [2510] 2511 2512 2513 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: