Pages: 1 ... 2509 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 2515 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5089529 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37665 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 10:32:04 »

Particularly when MPs appear to be so far removed from reality with regards to money & cost

Someone earning x amount whilst living at home & paying minimal rent is going to better off than someone on the same wage who has to pay for childcare, a mortgage, etc

All it takes is someone to have an elderly parent in a care home and that’s a massive drain on resources.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #37666 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 10:42:26 »

Those cunts have just got another payrise too
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37667 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 10:45:59 »

Particularly when MPs appear to be so far removed from reality with regards to money & cost

Someone earning x amount whilst living at home & paying minimal rent is going to better off than someone on the same wage who has to pay for childcare, a mortgage, etc

All it takes is someone to have an elderly parent in a care home and that’s a massive drain on resources.

I wanted to explain why I found it distasteful but struggled to find the words to explain. You've put it perfectly, thanks DV.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #37668 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 10:47:03 »

This is the thing, there seems to be a complete lack of understanding that events happen. You get these people who say "you shouldn't have had kids if you couldn't afford them" with a straight face, but it's completely impossible for anyone to see 18 years into their financial future at that stage. People seem to really refuse to engage with the role of luck - with health, with jobs, with events - in their lives and those of everyone else. As it would probably have been put in the past - there but for the grace of God go I (with apologies to Qunk).
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37669 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 11:06:09 »

I’ve had my car service and MOT this month.
Two new tires.
Gas, electric & water bill all at the same time.

That will probably eat into 3/4 of this months wages.
Next month I will pay none of those things.

That’s a massive change in finances literally from one month to the other
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37670 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 11:09:46 »

Fuck, that always means my car tax was due (10 days ago) oops
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37671 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 11:13:12 »

I’ve had my car service and MOT this month.
Two new tires.
Gas, electric & water bill all at the same time.

That will probably eat into 3/4 of this months wages.
Next month I will pay none of those things.

That’s a massive change in finances literally from one month to the other

October is the month I always cringe about due to these things. Car Tax, Car Service and MOT, annual chimney sweep and boiler service etc.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #37672 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 11:18:36 »

4.99% seems to be what's the going rate, its the same here albeit ours is more than that as we are starting from a lower level than one of the other authorities who are being used as the bench mark (funny that!)

A lot are, some are keeping it lower. I live in Bedford (and work for the Council) and the rise is 2.9% this coming year, another cost to bear but not as bad as most Council's.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37673 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 13:36:58 »

Also whilst I think about it, these MPs that go onto Twitter and question why people on £xxxx salary are using foodbanks or struggling financially. Using foodbanks for people is a total last resort and it's hardly that people go out of their way to use them if they can afford to feed themselves. I just find it distasteful.

30p Lee is a tool.

I like the one where he used his 30K underling to illustrate the example. Thus splattering her wages across the internet and also allowing people to point out that she was privately educated and her family aren't short of a bob or two.
Laddy in Red

Ignore
« Reply #37674 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 13:43:36 »

A lot are, some are keeping it lower. I live in Bedford (and work for the Council) and the rise is 2.9% this coming year, another cost to bear but not as bad as most Council's.
Council's have been shafted for over a decade now, bare bones statutory services for many. My local council seems to be doing well though, no increase this year.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37675 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 14:22:16 »

30p Lee is a tool.

I like the one where he used his 30K underling to illustrate the example. Thus splattering her wages across the internet and also allowing people to point out that she was privately educated and her family aren't short of a bob or two.

….and she’s probably making 5k a month on onlyfans
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37676 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 16:19:36 »

Also whilst I think about it, these MPs that go onto Twitter and question why people on £xxxx salary are using foodbanks or struggling financially. Using foodbanks for people is a total last resort and it's hardly that people go out of their way to use them if they can afford to feed themselves. I just find it distasteful.

This is the kind of thing that really irks me about politicians in general.  Clearly, the vast vast vast majority of people would never want to voluntarily rock up at a foodbank and essentially beg for food.  Of course the odd person may have no shame, but for most us that would be a terrible ego hit.

Instead of focusing on pointing blame - anyone who earns any amount can make bad decisions or have terrible luck - why not identify the reasons that cause people to use them and identify public policy that can help.  It doesn't always have to be the Govt spending money or propping people up either, it can be about creating the right regulatory frameworks to avoid competitive markets acting like monopolies/cartels.

Have arguments about solutions, not about blame.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #37677 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 21:36:49 »

The US shoot down a UFO over Alaska

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64605447.amp
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37678 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 22:58:04 »

Quagaars
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #37679 on: Friday, February 10, 2023, 23:47:29 »

Quagaars

*Asks Holly about Quagaars*

Holly: Nahh, Quagaars don't exist. This is an Alien free ship  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 2509 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 2515 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: