Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 2498 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5088104 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #37410 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 18:06:39 »

20 mph is a token gesture and a total and utter waste of time unless its enforced which it won't be as plod don't have the man power, most of the residential streets of Lancaster have been 20mph for about 6-7 years and I am not aware of anyone who has been prosecuted.

Ultimately until it all comes out who knows if she is going down, I know too many stories of cyclists including friends who have been killed in similar ways and a pathetically short driving ban been the outcome. 

‘20 mph is a token gesture and a total and utter waste of time’, is it? Are you 100% sure? By your reasoning any speed limit is a total waste of time then. Are you aware that 20 mph is the optimal speed that an average human can run at and survive a collision with a static object? The skeleton has evolved the way it has because of the speed at which a human can travel. Colliding with anything over 20 mph increases the likelihood of being killed. You might want to reconsider wether 20 mph is an utter waste of time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37411 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 18:15:17 »

you missed the point totally LL.

he's not arguing whether 20mph saves lives.

He's arguing in his experience nobody travels at 20mph if it's not enforced
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37412 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 18:22:47 »

With the tragic history of Akers Way it may well be time to reintroduce speed cameras or even speed humps like in a Pinehurst.

So, give no fucks
Steak supper

Ignore
« Reply #37413 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 18:32:19 »

it is a good idea to read posts a few times before responding
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #37414 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 18:49:21 »

With the tragic history of Akers Way it may well be time to reintroduce speed cameras or even speed humps like in a Pinehurst.

The problem with the speedbumps in pinehurst is that most cars, vehicles, can pass over them without any affect. Pointless as they are bag in the middle of the road. At that time of day, there is so much traffic anyway along that road.

Something needs to be done but not sure what.

Do we know any more information on the woman driver?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37415 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:02:42 »

The problem with the speedbumps in pinehurst is that most cars, vehicles, can pass over them without any affect. Pointless as they are bag in the middle of the road. At that time of day, there is so much traffic anyway along that road.

I can't find any more information on the driver only that she was released on bail. There was another incident along Akers Way this afternoon but thankfully not serious.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23155000.akers-way-another-crash-outside-nova-hreod-academy/

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #37416 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:33:00 »

Having known a couple of the kids from the older incident, won't say accident because the idiot (who I think my family is related to, distantly) all but loaded a weapon, I always drove at 30mph or lower along there.  Problem is, the road itself lends itself to drivers feeling like it should be a faster road.  Many times people would be stuck behind me, obviously frustrated.

The issue is the fact that the road is pretty straight but has gradually become more residential through housing developments.

The challenge in fixing that is the slope, on either side, meaning it is sat pretty much in a hill.  You could fix the speed by creating more driving challenge, like bends, but it would cost a fortune to create.  It cost enough just to resurface it a few years back from memory, as it was originally laid on a shallow bed.

Instead, I'd be inclined to cut it off at the roundabout one side and the school the other.  Piss a lot of people off, but fix the problem.  Traffic would move to Moredon Rd or through West Swindon, which causes it's own issues, but those would be more traffic volume and delays than harming people in real ways.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #37417 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:41:37 »

Whitworth Road/Moredon Road is a nightmare as it is. With the school on the roundabout that would be even more dangerous.

There is no easy solution but drivers need to take responsibility. Doesn't matter if it is a straight road, on a hill or whatever. The driver should be aware.

Will be a charge of death by dangerous driving which will probably be 4 years. Should be 40 years especially after not stopping. Was told it was a range rover, and the windscreen smashed. No excuse not to stop.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37418 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:43:21 »

If they went ahead and built the relief road behind Moulden Hill through to Bruce Street roundabout as discussed years ago it would stop Akers Way being so busy.

So, give no fucks
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #37419 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:45:16 »

If they went ahead and built the relief road behind Moulden Hill through to Bruce Street roundabout as discussed years ago it would stop Akers Way being so busy.

What about the 'newt'... was never ever going to happen that road.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37420 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:47:11 »

What about the 'newt'... was never ever going to happen that road.

I can't remember the whole story but I thought it was lack of government funding was the reason it never happened but I may be wrong.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #37421 on: Monday, November 28, 2022, 19:50:30 »

Yes they do. In my experience. They also travel at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. If you leave the limit at thirty NO ONE will travel at 20.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37422 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:22:08 »

Exactly, glad someone understood.

FWIW I was actually a bit disingenuous in my previous comment re the 20 zones in Lancaster, there is one place people rigorously comply with it, the speed camera on Quernmore Rd, which interestingly is on such a slope past the camera that if you knocked the car out of gear you would probably still be over 20 without braking fairly hard. The camera is outside one of the entrances to the grammar school and thus I suspect such an example would help in the Swindon case, albeit it doesn't mean that people don't go over 20 immediately before and after it.

Similarly we have a 20 zone outside our primary school, but normally its like a racetrack there and despite repeated requests from the school and governors to the PCSO's to have a presence there we have never seen any monitoring of it, add into the equation some of the peculiar driving and parking of parents dropping kids and its a concerning mix.

Having had the pleasure of having the front bedroom of a house adjacent to a speed hump (in a 20 zone) for about 3 months, the other things is that humps generally just lead to people hooning up to them, slamming all on to go over the hump then hooning off away from them.

Problem is, the road itself lends itself to drivers feeling like it should be a faster road.  Many times people would be stuck behind me, obviously frustrated.

The issue is the fact that the road is pretty straight but has gradually become more residential through housing developments.

Its a very common problem with peripheral roads around developments which transport planners are all aware of but no one seems to have come up with a one size fits all solution to it, sat in loads of meetings with Council highways officers over the years whilst solutions are discussed.

Actually as with much motoring issues there is a solution, drive to ones ability, drive to ones visibility and don't drive like a self entitled twat, having seen my sister run over by a car when I was a kid (thankfully only minor injuries) I dread to think what that lads family are going through at the moment.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:32:48 by horlock07 » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #37423 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 09:36:49 »

Similarly we have a 20 zone outside our primary school, but normally its like a racetrack there and despite repeated requests from the school and governors to the PCSO's to have a presence there we have never seen any monitoring of it, add into the equation some of the peculiar driving and parking of parents dropping kids and its a concerning mix.

The issue of crowding around schools is common up and down the country. Often caused (sorry for this generalisation) by pricks in Range Rovers who seem to think they own the road dropping off their little angels as close to the school as they can.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37424 on: Tuesday, November 29, 2022, 10:08:54 »

Yes they do. In my experience. They also travel at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. If you leave the limit at thirty NO ONE will travel at 20.

And that's fair enough.
Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 2494 [2495] 2496 2497 2498 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: