Pages: 1 ... 3278 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 3284 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8866734 times)
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #49200 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 08:50:19 »

With this 'moneyball system' we will need to get accustomed to players leaving for hopefully good fee's. (more so than in the past)

The whole system is to improve a player sell them on. Could be Darcy, Wakeling, Jephcott or  any of them.

Remember there is a stadium renovation plan which sadly may come in front of promotion.  Really hope not!!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #49201 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:12:57 »

Harry wasn't a data driven recruit but a good profit on a free agent signing nonetheless.

Had he wanted to stay then I don't think that the club would have been actively looking to sell, other than going by the everyone has their price mantra.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #49202 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:18:43 »

£250k for him now, or absolutely nothing for him in the summer is a no brainer for the club.

It’s not as if we were guaranteed promotion with him.

It’s a shame he’s gone, because he was entertaining, but at least we have brought in new players to strengthen the team. Hopefully Jephcott & Wakeling can score enough goals to get us in the Top 7.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #49203 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:22:15 »

Could also argue his suspensions also cost us
Not last year they didn't, he got injured but missed less games through suspension than Reed and Conroy both of whom got red cards after the final whistle and in Reed's case also managed to get sent off when he wasn't even playing.    
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #49204 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:31:04 »

£250k for him now, or absolutely nothing for him in the summer is a no brainer for the club.

It’s not as if we were guaranteed promotion with him.

It’s a shame he’s gone, because he was entertaining, but at least we have brought in new players to strengthen the team. Hopefully Jephcott & Wakeling can score enough goals to get us in the Top 7.
100% this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #49205 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:47:30 »

Can't quote but in agreement with PR.

I can see Wakeling as a harder working, less dynamic and with less baggage Mckirdy replacement. I can't really see him getting 25 goals mind you, however you can see Jephcott getting 20 and Wakeling around 10. As others have said we look to have a really competitive deep squad of quality players, now it's up to SL to see if he can knit it all together.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #49206 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:47:53 »

Is that official then, 250,000?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #49207 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:48:45 »

Really? His injury last year arguably cost us promotion. He's the type of player who came make something from nothing, exciting to watch. Angst about his departure is more than justified (although on the face of it, our business looks good I think)
Agreed

adje

Ignore
« Reply #49208 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 09:51:58 »

Will definitely miss him and yes some will blame him for his penalty miss against Port Vale but I will remember him for his goal against Man City live on TV and his celebration in front of millions. Maybe the money was too good to turn down and the club didn't want to risk any unrest in the camp once they knew he wanted to leave. Who knows his exit out of STFC may have been excelled with his recent antics and 3 game suspension.
I will remember his 2 goals in the home leg,which should have put us in the driving seat. Sorry to see him go,genuinely but that's my last word on it,so not getting angsty!
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:07:29 by adje » Logged

Peter Venkman

« Reply #49209 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:06:05 »

McKirdy was one of those players, on his day is as good as any player outside the Premier League, his "days" though were often few and far between but you put up with the more frequent off days for the great games he did play.

He could make things out of absolutely nothing and knew where the back of the net was, although he missed with probably 75% of his efforts the rest seemed to go in when on target.

I liked him and I do think we are poorer without him but he was a saleable asset and OOC at the end of the season so its a no brainer that we sold him while we could, he obviously wants to further himself in a much bigger club with a great chance of playing in Europe next season with them.

I hope he does well up there, no complaints from me about him, yes he had a poor attiitude but when a player wants to leave you have to let him go while he still has a value.

If we got £250k then I think thats probably a fair value.

Same with Ward, he was never going to be 1st choice and his last 2 games basically showed up his weaknesses. Hes 25 so try and grab a starting slot at Sutton and I am sure you will be a solid if uninspiring keeper, PS thanks for the FGR away game last season. But Brynn is a far better keeper overall. Hopefully we got about £50k for Wardy from Sutton.

AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #49210 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:39:50 »

Just seen that we have the lowest retention of last seasons squad in all 4 leagues.
Cool stat. I'd be interested to see how much 'squad turnover' between seasons has increased in the last 40 years, for us and everyone. From my pov it seems to get worse each year; but maybe that's just a rose tinted glasses perspective from an old fart? Hard to form that strong emotional bond with 'our' players when they all change every summer. More like being a primary school teacher than a football fan.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #49211 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:47:42 »

Just seen that we have the lowest retention of last seasons squad in all 4 leagues.
Equal with todays opponents Gillingham on 28% retained.

Swindon have maintained their growing reputation for dispensing with first-team players at the end of each season.

The Robins have lost at least half of their playing time from the previous campaign in each of the past five summers.

oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #49212 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:52:48 »

I think like many I will miss the good bits and not miss the churlishness. We are worse off for his leaving, pressure on the rest of the squad to provide the spark/goals. If he was to leave at least we more-or-less stuck to our guns on the price.

Good luck Harry, hope you are a revelation up there, command a missive transfer fee and that our sell on % is healthy.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #49213 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 10:58:36 »

Is that official then, 250,000?

Don’t know, saw it was quoted on here as the fee.
TBF, sounds about right.

I remember talking with friends last year about Harry that his first touch was quite poor, and that he tries some ridiculous things on the pitch, but the main thing was he tried to create something, which outside of him not a lot of others did.

Good luck to him & Lewis Ward, except against us obviously
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #49214 on: Saturday, September 3, 2022, 11:01:24 »

Cool stat. I'd be interested to see how much 'squad turnover' between seasons has increased in the last 40 years, for us and everyone. From my pov it seems to get worse each year; but maybe that's just a rose tinted glasses perspective from an old fart? Hard to form that strong emotional bond with 'our' players when they all change every summer. More like being a primary school teacher than a football fan.

Interesting point re emotional bond.
Long gone are the days of players getting the bus to training or coming across a star player making ends meet in a summer job.

A rarity as well to see players out on the town on a Saturday night as well.
Can remember regularly seeing Alan Mac, Jon Gittens et al out and about in old town back in the day.

How long would Don Rogers have lasted with us in this day & age, half a season maybe or probably even snapped up by a PL academy human warehouse before signing for anyone at league level.

Anyone getting to 200 first team appearances at lower league level these days is a rarity.
That's why players like Harry (20+ goals in a season) should be cherished in the short time that they are with us.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 3278 3279 3280 [3281] 3282 3283 3284 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: