Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Garner Out  (Read 19843 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 11:46:54 »

The problem with JJ’s perspective is that, whilst relying on young loan players, Garner is just improving them for other clubs to cash in on. We’ll get nothing from whatever Ipswich get for Simpson. Well no doubt improve Tomlinson, O’Brien and Cooper to a level where their parent clubs will play them or they’ll sell them on for a fee.

Unless we can utilise these players to improve our own status it’s a pointless exercise.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 11:55:25 »

loans are a difficult one, I think the days of building your own squad over a couple of seasons are long gone unfortunately.

But if the core aren't your. own it puts us at risk of leaving us in the place we are now. mid season rebuild

in fairness JoJo, Conroy, AK, iandolo, lyden, Williams, gladwin and mckirdy are this year's core, but it arguably hasn't quite worked out
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 12:30:17 »

Sorry for the long post but this is how I see it, I doubt many will agree but then they never do Smiley

I don't think getting rid of Garner would get us anywhere at the moment. Clem would still get in a man who wants to play passing attractive(at times) football and buy, nurture and sell young players, thats Clems remit he has admitted that already several times.

I have said since day 1 that Garner is not a manager, hes a development coach, his background is development of young players and is not tactically aware of what is needed in a cut throat results based league. He has come from a career as a youth/academy development coach, a job in which he has to be nice and get on with the young players, coach them and improve them to prepare them to get ready for the 1st team, a job he had some success with previously.

At academy level there is no pressure to get results, you just develop the players and even if you lose 3-0 week in week out your job is safe, you are under no pressure to learn how to learn game management, there is no impetus to need to change tactics to win games as the result is largely totally immaterial. He could lose every game but if he brought 1 player a season through to challenge for the 1st team then that would be considered success.

He has never had to learn tactical styles, he plays to a formula that wins some and loses some but in a way that means the players can at least pass a ball but relies on the youngsters having enough already in their locker to play the position that they do, it merely prepares them for playing in a team but necessitates no need to over coach them with tactics which is why many youngsters struggle when they come to lower league clubs, they dont have the footballing intelligence to take on tactics and the pressure of needing to get results as its all new to them.

I don't think its a coincidence that Garner is getting rid of most of the old guard as they can see we need results at the expense of pretty football, Grant wanted to win the ball at all costs, Garner didn't want that, he wanted a player who could pass a ball and maybe win a couple of challenges too not just a ball winner, which we can all see is blatantly missing in the team.

Garner has never had to learn how to manage a game, how many times have we been in the lead with 15 mins left and yet he makes what with foresight and hindsight are errors in substitution or doesnt know how to shut up shop. That is something badly needs addressing, being a league manager is 99% about results and not about about playing just an attractive style of football.

At an academy there is no danger that if you lose games then the academy will not suffer long term, in the league if you dont get results the entire club suffers with relegation or worse, the lower down the leagues the harder it is to get decent players, to get decent sponsorship and to attact fans, all of which will have an impact on the club financially, then you can get into the realms of overspending and take out loans and not repay then as Bury learnt and so nearly Power too.

Chesterfield, Notts County, Stockport, Wrexham, Grimsby and Southend were all well established league clubs with a history of plying their trade in much higher leagues but how they have dropped with poor on the pitch performances, its easily done with just one poor managerial appointment, look at us last season with Sheridan for instance, if he was removed in December I still feel we could possibly have survived in L1.

A couple of blatant faults for me have been - why go into a whole campaign essentially with a lone "front man"? yes we have "attackers" players who can play in a variety of positions but not as an actually front man. If Simpson or Davison got injured then we have zero actually striker options on the bench to change/improve us, that IMO is a fault of recruitment Chorley or Garner.

We have probably too many players who are very similar, McKirdy, Barry, Williams, Payne and JML so although all offer something a little different none have enough to change a game dramatically, that is a fault of recruitment Chorley or Garner.

We have a few underperforming players and all players have highs and lows but no single player is ever the reason for poor results, 1 player (for instance Conroy) makes an error then the other 10 players should make up for that by closing ranks and helping.

I have noticed we seem to have no "talkers" on the pitch, helping players out, I lose count of the number of times one of our players gets put under pressure in the middle of the pitch, or in front of our defence and we can all see 2 attackers pressing him yet he seems oblivious to any incoming players, nobody is telling him to get rid of the ball with a short pass, or put it into touch and all too often that player gets punished and often a goal results when often a simple call from a team mate may have made him more aware.

Anyway short term I think Garner needs extra help from an experienced manager to help him in the areas that we are obviously lacking, changing tactics, game management, better use of subs. Obviously he may not think he needs that help or be open to it, like Iffy and Big Ron a few years back but if a young manager doesn't feel he needs to learn then maybe he isn't cut out to be a manager?

Not just criticise Garner but encourage him to improve in his job in the areas that need it, oh and make him aware that his decisions ultimately have THE biggest bearing on fans/players/finances as the worse the results the less chance we will have of attracting better players, better sponsorship and ultimately more fans.

I get what you saying and there is no doubt Garner was bought it by Clem because of his background in football.

However, I don’t think the issue with us or Garner is having the core values/principles that we have installed and I think we all accept we will get mixed results from that and definitely get a mixed bag of loan players.

The issue is the lack deviation from the core values/principles

For example, yesterday if we had gone ugly, route one, silly fouls, kicking it in row z for 15 minutes in order to win the game I don’t think anyone would have minded. Aston Villa won’t all of a sudden recall Barry and never loan us another player again because we played ugly to see a game out (if anything part of the reason for getting these players out on loan in the lower leagues out of U23s football is to learn these types of things) Cooper & JOB aren’t going to demand to back because they were asked to boot the fuck out of it for 10 minutes.

First we distinguish whether this ‘one way and one way only’ is coming from the top down to Garner or whether it’s Garners choice. Then it’s working out if Garner has ability to change or whether he doesn’t want to change.

If we don’t want to change - we’ll never move forward.
If we want to change but Garner doesn’t have the ability too - he’ll be gone before the year is out.

It’s not like we need to rip up the book and start again, we just need to write an extra chapter.

Garner isn’t the only former U23 manager in a first team managerial position. Few years back Blackpool appointed the Liverpool’s u23 manager (or some youth position) but I bet they don’t play like we do, all the time…
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 12:32:39 by DiV » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #78 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 12:35:31 »

The issue is the lack deviation from the core values/principles

If we don’t want to change - we’ll never move forward.
If we want to change but Garner doesn’t have the ability too - he’ll be gone before the year is out.

It’s not like we need to rip up the book and start again, we just need to write an extra chapter.

Garner isn’t the only former U23 manager in a first team managerial position. Few years back Blackpool appointed the Liverpool’s u23 manager (or some youth position) but I bet they don’t play like we do, all the time…
Absolutely agree on this.

On the Blackpool part though....after about 3 months in charge many Blackpool fans were calling for Critchleys head saying they were 1 dimensional and too easy to beat and that he was making weird substitutions and an unwillingness to change his brand of football.

Apparently though he learnt his lesson and they are no longer like that and as we all know were promoted last season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 14:09:44 »

Absolutely agree on this.

On the Blackpool part though....after about 3 months in charge many Blackpool fans were calling for Critchleys head saying they were 1 dimensional and too easy to beat and that he was making weird substitutions and an unwillingness to change his brand of football.

Apparently though he learnt his lesson and they are no longer like that and as we all know were promoted last season.

…and this is exactly what we need from Garner.
Growth and learning on the job.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 14:35:07 »

I find this particular threat distasteful and loath the conversations within. Imagine if the paying customers of YOUR business openly discussed YOUR performance on a public forum and called for you to be sacked?

That said this is the normal now for football at all levels, still repugnant and I’m not going to comment either way on Garner personally.

What I am prepared to say on the matter is this. We do not have the finances to buy our way to promotion in the league, I doubt we’d be able do it in league one if we manage a minor miracle and get promoted. We will have to seek out the free agents, cast offs of other clubs and loans from higher clubs, (no disrespect to our players intended, they are where they are otherwise they’d be in a higher league with a contract or even the PL). On the subject of loans which has been mentioned, to attract the cream of what is available to us in league two we IMHO have to play a certain way, hoofball, route one and anything like a lot clubs in our league currently do is not an option.

I see BG, BC, Clem and Aberdeen having a vision on what they want to do and how to do it. Sadly on our budget we have not been able to get the quality of players to do that. We will, just maybe not this season. FGR are not Brazil, MC, PSG or anything like that, after all we beat them away, only one of two teams to beat them I may add. What they are is consistent, a decent team for sure but consistent with what they do and how they do it. For us this season in some ways we have over achieved possibly, possibly not, personally I think we have certainly in some of the performances. There is something special going on at the CG, though maybe this season is not going to be one of those socks off seasons. Forget the ‘where we were’ supporters, we can put that to rest now. FFS we know where we were and we know where we are. Another mid season rebuild on top of and exceptionally brutal rebuild from the pyre ashes of the Pee Lower era.

Please don’t descend into the gutter on calling for BG head, not warranted, not one bit, for to do so you lump him into the pit with the likes of Sheridan, you think that’s fair? I fucking don’t. If the powers that be have faith in him then so do I. Even if I didn’t I wouldn’t air dirty laundry on someone’s job and lively hood on a forum. And some of you fucking have the cheek to ridicule the FB supporters..

Get a grip people, get a fucking grip. Please 🙄

Fucking soapy tit wank.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 14:36:12 »

I’m starting to feel the embargo excuse is largely irrelevant.

Agree. The embargo and a few different players doesn't change the fact Garner keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't learn.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 15:13:45 »

Another frustrating day at the County Ground. To be fair Exeter just about deserved their win on the balance of play but it's the nature of the defeat that hurts, particularly after the recent debacle against Colchester.

Our enforced subs didn't help at all. We lost control of the middle of the park and had no one up front to hold the ball up. Iandolo has been used in midfield before, but East is more used to that role and was the obvious replacement for Lyden. Also Barry may well turn out to be a decent player, but he is no replacement for Davison. Mitchell-Lawson at least has pace and that could have been useful against Exeters central defenders.

We spent the first half of the season hoping that Simpson didn't get injured and we got lucky in that respect. Surely we had to recruit 2 strikers similar in style in the window, once Simpson got recalled. In that respect Barry to me seems like a waste of a loan.

I know Gladwin gets bucket loads of abuse from fans, but he was nowhere near as bad as Williams yesterday. He really got on my nerves, falling down after virtually every challenge. He has a good fleeting 5-10 minutes every now and then but he simply doesn't offer enough to be a regular starter. He has underperformed for an established international player. I wonder if fitness is still an issue with him as he appears to offer little in the last 20 minutes of games.

I thought O'Brien and Cooper looked assured at the back, won most of their headers and both were very good in possession. However looking back at the highlights, Cooper appeared to be at fault for both goals, his header straight to the Exeter player for the 2nd was very weak indeed.

Tomlinson was obviously the star performers, he looked quicker in thought than everyone else and his passing was crisper. He will be a real asset and has to start ahead of either Hunt or Iandolo.

Knowing Swindon we will probably win at Tranmere on Tuesday to re-ignite the hope.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 15:29:02 »

Knowing Swindon we will probably win at Tranmere on Tuesday to re-ignite the hope.

It’s the hope that kills you

But your right, it would be typical of us to win at Tranmere, and then fail to beat Scunthorpe at home
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 15:48:33 »

We need to be more of a threat from set pieces as we've nobody you can say is a real threat from set pieces and muck in with a handful of goals.

So, give no fucks
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 17:37:05 »

Steve Cooper would be a good benchmark for Garner, same age, hardly played professional football, good coach and doing wonders with a young team including loan players

So, give no fucks
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 18:03:21 »

God I hope BG doesn't read this shite. One of the most promising coaches in the Country, I think we are lucky to have the guy.

Perhaps he would benefit from a more experienced assistant to work with him on some of the darker arts of the game around game management etc 

Rome wasn't built in a day FFS. You all remember the bit a few months ago when we not sure we would even have a club?

Reading some of the shite spouted on here it seems some people would be happier with Joey fucking Barton. Twats
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 18:06:04 »

God I hope BG doesn't read this shite. One of the most promising coaches in the Country, I think we are lucky to have the guy.

Perhaps he would benefit from a more experienced assistant to work with him on some of the darker arts of the game around game management etc  

Rome wasn't built in a day FFS. You all remember the bit a few months ago when we not sure we would even have a club?

Reading some of the shite spouted on here it seems some people would be happier with Joey fucking Barton. Twats

There's also quite a lot or support for Garner who just want him to be more tactically aware and to change things when needed.

So, give no fucks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 18:14:00 »

I hope he does, there are some valid points

Fans will be fans and if he's that sensitive he isn't going to get very far.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, February 6, 2022, 18:25:34 »

I hope he does, there are some valid points

Fans will be fans and if he's that sensitive he isn't going to get very far.

Yeah fans will be fans, and these are the same fans that would be demanding loyalty from the manager if we did go up this season and other offers came his way. Fickle fuckers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: