Poll
Question: Should we employ Phil 'tango' Brown as manager for next season?
Yes - 64 (59.8%)
No - 30 (28%)
Don't care - 13 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Phil Brown: Yes or No?  (Read 135091 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:29:19 »

My concern with Brown is our forrn is now one of the worst in the div. Not that Flipflop would have been any better. Here's my doubt, is PB another Danny Williams, in that he's had his day in the sun and now its gone? We must get this right or next year could be a weeping into our hands season.

Danny Williams is arguably our greatest ever manager... if PB is as good as him I for one would be content.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:29:28 »

My concern with Brown is our forrn is now one of the worst in the div. Not that Flipflop would have been any better. Here's my doubt, is PB another Danny Williams, in that he's had his day in the sun and now its gone? We must get this right or next year could be a weeping into our hands season.
Danny Wilson not Danny Williams?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:59:25 »

There seems to be a lot of debate of whether you can judge Brown on the few games that he has been in charge.
(I personally feel that he could and should have done much better).
Not his team, not enough time  etc

Contrary to that Flitcroft has been blamed by all and sundry for the demise of Mansfield by changing tactics and team selection.

Double standards seem to apply here.

But Mansfield form was decent and they was looking likely for a play off spot - whereas us it's been patchy and was very patchy when Flits left
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 12:10:48 »

But Mansfield form was decent and they was looking likely for a play off spot - whereas us it's been patchy and was very patchy when Flits left

To be fair to Brown though, Flits "doing one" did coincide with our most influential defender at the time being ruled out for the rest of the season.

Let's face it, Brown was left with an absolute turd to polish.  I fully believe that if we had had Conroy and Preston fit for the season we would have at least finished in a play off spot.  The flip side being, had those 2 been fit, Flitters might still be here..

Flitters bottled it once Preston was fucked and he knew Mansfield were interested..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 12:23:48 »

I fully believe that if we had had Conroy and Preston fit for the season we would have at least finished in a play off spot.

Totally agree. Though if Conroy had been fit we wouldn't have bought Preston I suppose.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 12:31:33 »

No way should Brown be given the job.

One win in eight so far is pathetic, regardless of defensive players missing.

You expect some reaction from a new managers appointment, we have had nothing. Richards who was scoring for fun before his arrival has had his worst games under Brown. Clearly our most talented midfield player - Elsnik - has been left out of the team and we have played hacks who can barely control the ball. Taylor gets in the team at left back, but he doesn't warrant selection regardless of position as Brown has said. About the only player who has looked better under Brown is Knoyle.

All this bullshit Brown talks is the same as Flitcroft. The game is about more than passion and desire and commitment. Flitcroft comes in and criticizes the players he inherits for lacking those traits and replaces the entire squad (except Norris for some inexplicable reason). He then bangs on about his recruitment process and these player interviews to make sure they have the right character. He fucks off and Brown comes in and says they all lack the same things Flitcroft brought them in for. Its bullshit, its up there with the promise to make the team fitter each new manager gives. How about a manager who stands for more than hard work and attitude?

When he was appointed i asked the question what does he have to do to get the job/not get the job. Playoffs and he would have the job, regardless of if we went up or not. Missing playoffs despite positive results, then maybe the benefit of the doubt is given to him, given early season form, but coming in and winning 1 in 8 and losing/drawing with some proper shit is just not acceptable. How much worse could he have actually done?

Couple the pure on the field performance, with the fact that season ticket sales are obviously down and there is little to be excited about for next season, how does appointing Brown help? He doesn't energize the fan base in anyway.

As many have said here before, i believe the best option is the recently retired top flight player with great connections for young talent and a good knowledge of the game to come in and excite the fans and club.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:08:26 »

But a top flight player in as manager would demand an above average budget to work with. He wouldn’t want his ‘brand’  to get tarnished with a shitty first managerial spell.

The sort of first timer we could reasonably expect would be a Matt Taylor type - ex top flight, now plying his trade in the nether regions.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:11:36 by Audrey's Bellend » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:09:59 »

Matt Taylor type - ex top flight, now plying his trade in the nether regions.
That's quite some accusation Smiley
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:11:06 »

Yeah, could have put it better!
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:11:26 »

Totally agree. Though if Conroy had been fit we wouldn't have bought Preston I suppose.

Good point

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:56:00 »

But a top flight player in as manager would demand an above average budget to work with. He wouldn’t want his ‘brand’  to get tarnished with a shitty first managerial spell.

The sort of first timer we could reasonably expect would be a Matt Taylor type - ex top flight, now plying his trade in the nether regions.

How do we know that a top flight manager would demand an above average budget? Di Canio is the obvious example but the others? Hoddle didnt have above average for the league, nor did Wise more recently. McMahon maybe did, Macari certainly didn't.

We are said to have an above average budget for the division, so not sure why it would matter anyway.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:11:59 »

We are said to have an above average budget for the division, so not sure why it would matter anyway.

We were told we had a competitive budgie, but not one of the big hitters.  So in other words spending the most of the season there or thereabouts what you'd expect.

Fellas like Wise and Poyet don't just work for beans... Diamond Mike was probably paying them money we didn't have.

Power has shown no sign of pushing the boat out to get a "name" I doubt he's going to start now, especially as he's stated his exit relies on getting the ground.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:28:08 »

Keith Curle is leaving Carlisle for pastures new. Bristolian  Hmmm
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:29:43 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 16:53:26 »

We were told we had a competitive budgie, but not one of the big hitters.  So in other words spending the most of the season there or thereabouts what you'd expect.

Fellas like Wise and Poyet don't just work for beans... Diamond Mike was probably paying them money we didn't have.

Power has shown no sign of pushing the boat out to get a "name" I doubt he's going to start now, especially as he's stated his exit relies on getting the ground.

Wise and Poyet was to be funded from Bill Power's investments - it went a bit wrong.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 17:27:11 »

Not sure if any recent "top flight" ex-player (by that I presume Premiership) has the need anymore to become a manager as the money they have probably been on over the last few seasons negates any need to stay in the game especially with a fourth division side like us and all the hassle that goes with the position.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: