Pages: 1 ... 735 736 737 [738] 739 740 741 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996467 times)
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11055 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 16:33:21 »

Leaving aside the fact that Mandelson was an MP, so was elected, the point is that Labour didn't campaign for Brexit to "get rid of unelected bureaucrats", Gove and Johnson did. Only to appoint more of them
He served in cabinet both elected and unelected, I believe. I agree about the hypocrisy, however but it's endemic in politics now regardless of party. I can't think of a uk politic party with any integrity.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11056 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 16:37:17 »

that's not good bamboo.

but at least photographs can be digital I suppose

It may have just been the inept or unpreparedness of the staff at that particular office, so it may not be the case elsewhere. Which still isn't ideal as really positive consistency builds good trust and working relationships (even if only temporary ones).

They can, and digital proofs are ok if maybe sending work for online publications or a customer only wants digital (rare for personal) but a print in hand, art book or on a wall etc is still much better.

I always say, you have to continually adapt regardless of how any situation evolves. If you don't evolve with it you get left behind, then end up playing catch up.

Everyone (mostly) will be taking a hit but there are worse situations to be in than my own.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11057 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 17:11:37 »

I can't think of a uk politic party with any integrity.

I would like to say the Greens, but from my direct experience of dealing with them on a local level they are as bad as the rest!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11058 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 17:17:12 »

He served in cabinet both elected and unelected, I believe. I agree about the hypocrisy, however but it's endemic in politics now regardless of party. I can't think of a uk politic party with any integrity.
I wasn't looking to exonerate any one party, I was pointing out that the Brexiteers specifically campaigned on this point but abandoned it when they'd "won". Like they did the £350m for the NHS, better deal for fishing, easiest trade deal in history, sunlit uplands etc. It's almost as if the whole campaign was a pack of lies.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #11059 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 17:19:31 »

There have been similar issues for myself in regards to photography. Went to send a print to Greece from the PO and the person behaved like I was doing something incredibly alien. They huffed a lot, mumbled something about having to go and get something from the back, then came back and said they didn't have the required paperwork! I stated "It's purely just a photographic print and only needs basic compensation cover"... There was a shrug and a "Is there anything else I can help you with?"  Crash

Anything ELSE? You haven't helped me with this yet!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11060 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 17:23:16 »

There have been similar issues for myself in regards to photography. Went to send a print to Greece from the PO and the person behaved like I was doing something incredibly alien. They huffed a lot, mumbled something about having to go and get something from the back, then came back and said they didn't have the required paperwork! I stated "It's purely just a photographic print and only needs basic compensation cover"... There was a shrug and a "Is there anything else I can help you with?"  Crash

Also Nikon stopped shipping anything to the UK and wouldn't take any new orders. Haven't checked recently but it was the case going into Feb.

The only guidance (or workaround) I was given when requested, was to set up a business within Europe (I think they meant the EU), which just really is neither affordable or practical for myself at present. Unless someone has a shed in France they'd like to loan me? Even then, it'd still need to be "operated" or "distributed" from there.
RedFrog should set himself up as the TEF's EU outlet.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11061 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 18:08:30 »

Anything ELSE? You haven't helped me with this yet!

Well exactly, I soon left!. Eee to the fucking aww.

RedFrog should set himself up as the TEF's EU outlet.

Ha, there are quite a few France based exiles on the TEF but for myself, I don't do enough to justify having international "offices". I could work from anywhere I suppose but that would just mean the same problem reversed for sending any stuff UK bound. Always worth a ponder though.

'Incessant Nonsense'

chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11062 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 18:13:12 »

I wasn't looking to exonerate any one party, I was pointing out that the Brexiteers specifically campaigned on this point but abandoned it when they'd "won". Like they did the £350m for the NHS, better deal for fishing, easiest trade deal in history, sunlit uplands etc. It's almost as if the whole campaign was a pack of lies.
Of course it was a pack of lies. Didn't make one jot of difference to me.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11063 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 18:19:52 »

Of course it was a pack of lies. Didn't make one jot of difference to me.

What information were you using to make your decision then Chalkie? Serious question as I find it hard that as a Brexit voter (you), there was zero influence from the Leave campaign on making your decision? Was it just a hunch-based decision or something else?

It'd be interesting to know your own personal take.

'Incessant Nonsense'

chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11064 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 18:42:50 »

What information were you using to make your decision then Chalkie? Serious question as I find it hard that as a Brexit voter (you), there was zero influence from the Leave campaign on making your decision? Was it just a hunch-based decision or something else?

It'd be interesting to know your own personal take.
I was anti EU before ukip formed. I didn't have an issue with a common market. It was when it widened it's remit I had an issue. It seemed to me ages ago it was headed for a united States of Europe with one currency, one tax, one president etc etc. I still believe it's the goal. I didn't want to be part of it.
I also couldn't quite believe the common agricultural policy.
People are either too young or forget how much change there was when we joined. Decimalisation, fucking over the commonwealth etc.
If it stopped at free trading zones, I'd gave been ok as would most other Brexiteers I know.
Incidentally, I know about 20 Brexiteers from different walks of life and every one of them, including me, were no deal Brexiteers.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11065 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 23:38:25 »

I was anti EU before ukip formed. I didn't have an issue with a common market. It was when it widened it's remit I had an issue. It seemed to me ages ago it was headed for a united States of Europe with one currency, one tax, one president etc etc. I still believe it's the goal. I didn't want to be part of it.
I also couldn't quite believe the common agricultural policy.
People are either too young or forget how much change there was when we joined. Decimalisation, fucking over the commonwealth etc.
If it stopped at free trading zones, I'd gave been ok as would most other Brexiteers I know.

It's nice to get a more balanced view, rather than a deranged one thst you sometimes get when asking soem why they voted (on whatever topic, subject or side of the coin). It did appear to be quite generational in terms of voter intention, along with unfortunately a bunch of knobheads too.

What I'm more interested in, is not so much about what has been and gone (decimilisation etc, I personally think that was a good move to even things out. Which is why I have no issue with any move toward a universal currency or asset. We kind of had it anyway worldwide when the dollar was pegged to gold, in economic terms).... but yeah, why didn't you want to be a part of it? I know there is pride in standing alone but as the old addage goes, "no man is an island" even the UK (despite the topographical obvious) and surely working together in numbers is always better, especially when it concerns world economics?

Unless the plan is to isolate ourselves as a nation and become more inwardly facing, less open and more selfish to some degree. But that isn't the UK I know and love. Our openness (and I'm not just talking about acceptance of humanity to our shores), in technology and quite relevantly at present, science and space. The freedom to work anywhere in 22 other countries with no issue or just to travel and explore within those places, purely if one chose to do so.

That and much more may (in some caes already has) now be taken away from people in generations behind myself. For e.g my neice might not be able to do those things, without greater difficulty or scrutiny. We should she, a child that didn't get to vote on this matter have those (imo) benefits taken away from her and so many other people who will be around much longer after we have gone?

I'm not saying the decision was either right or wrong but it seems every decision made today is still so short sighted (5yrs, 10yrs) and there's very little thought how these things might be difficult for people even 50yrs down the line. I could use the UK motorway network (or the whole transport system as a whole) as an example. Always built for the moment but absolute zero futureproofing. Which is why we see the ripping up of the M1 to create extra lanes for expansion or the usage of the hard shoulder on the M25.

But back on point, apologies (I felt it offered a "bigger picture" opinión) yes, why was it that you didn't want to be a part of "it"? Why would the "one currency" effect be something to be against, from your point of view?

'Incessant Nonsense'

chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11066 on: Friday, February 19, 2021, 09:26:43 »

A lot of Brexiteers are probably pissed off with being regarded as racist unintelligent old inward bitter twisted fuckers. It's just part of politics and life nowadays that if I think differently to you then I'm the one with a problem. So we demonise them. Some posters are probably just living up to the image for their own amusement. Personally, I don't give a fuck what people think of me.
I suppose for me it all boils down to my belief bigger is not always best. It's down to decision making. I don't think withdrawing from the EU makes you more inward looking. In fact, the opposite. There are over 200 countries out there. Yet we are locking ourselves into 20 odd white, Christian countries.
People could move and work abroad pre EU but it was more merit based than a birth right. I think this is better.
In terms of economy, yes we'll take a hit and businesses will have to adjust, which any business of any age has had to do before, particularly when we joined the common market.
We decided to leave. We should have expected nothing from the EU. We should have planned for no deal before triggering article 50. We should never gave separated the divorce from the deal. We should also have ensured we calculated our assets in the EU and fought for them.
Sorry long winded but could have gone on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11067 on: Friday, February 19, 2021, 12:34:43 »

I don't think you were on here when chalkies was posting before, bamboo, but if you weren't, he's about the only person I've seen give a decent explanation of why he voted Leave. Kind of the voice of rational Brexit.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11068 on: Friday, February 26, 2021, 11:34:20 »

To the surprise of absolutely no-one, our local MP being a shameless hypocrite in defence of a govt with zero respect for the law once again

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/26/justice-secretary-defends-matt-hancock-over-breach-of-law
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11069 on: Friday, February 26, 2021, 12:26:29 »

Well that's alright then I can murder someone once because I got it wrong as I only meant to main them but as long as I don't do it again it's ok.
I can't remember a government so lacking in morals but I think that's the way of the world at the moment. The fact labour can't may a glove on them says a lot for starmer unless you go for the theory of keeping his powder dry.
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 737 [738] 739 740 741 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: