Pages: 1 ... 734 735 736 [737] 738 739 740 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995898 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11040 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 11:16:04 »

You know that border down the Irish Sea that definitely wasn't going to be in the oven ready deal? Apparently it is there, and even though it's a wonderful deal, best deal in the world, beautiful bigly deal, and Johnson and Gove definitely read it, of course they did, what kind of fools do you think they are? Yeah, well it's a bit of a problem anyway. So Gove's going cap in hand to the EU to ask them to extend the grace period. Fortunately, relations with the EU since Jan have been really smooth so they're bound to give us some leeway on this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-nireland-gove/uk-asks-eu-for-brexit-grace-period-extension-to-2023-bbc-reports-idUSKBN2A312N
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11041 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 11:53:02 »

Just so we can get this clear (but remember its all the EU's fault!)

Boris Johnson said he'd never agree an Irish Sea border, then agreed it, denied he'd agreed what he'd agreed, then implemented it...& now says there must not be an Irish Sea border.

I have to admit even in this political age, there's something rather remarkable about this.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #11042 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 13:04:15 »

Blue passports, though fellas  Wink
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11043 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:17:47 »

I was just listening to a piece on Radio 2 about the 'border' in Northern Ireland and someone who has a leather company over there used to be sent a 20kg box from a supplier in Manchester that would cost £13. Because of all the customs shenanigans after Brexit this now costs £75. He was saying that he has now had to change his supplier to one in Texas at a flat cost of £12. How does it make any sense that the charges have got so astronomical?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11044 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:30:28 »

I guess the goods are 'at risk' of going to EU, and so customs tariff applies.

in my limited experience is not just the customs charges, but the bloody handling charges that push things up.

that does seem astronomical, and I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to good from Texas
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11045 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:45:37 »

in my limited experience is not just the customs charges, but the bloody handling charges that push things up.

that does seem astronomical, and I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to good from Texas

Yeah, he did say the goods are for the Northern Irish market, so never go to the Republic, but the EU I guess can never be 100% sure that isn't the case.

Yes its not just custom charges but a whack of other ones that add up to such a large amount. Crazy isn't it that you can get something for cheaper from much further away!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11046 on: Thursday, February 4, 2021, 14:46:32 »

Its goods being imported into the EU froma third country so the rules that we were happy to apply to third countries now apply to us.

WRT to the TExas thing, no idea albeit I wonder whether it might be becuase the UK american market is a known thing, presently UK/EU is new and no one has a sodding clue what is going on so it takes time at the moment.

I hope someone suggested that the guy direct his questions to a Mr Johnson, Downing Street, London - this bloke https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1350198471500963840?s=20
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #11047 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 11:43:27 »

Sent some colouring books & pens to my 4 year old nephew in Sweden about 10 days ago.  Had to fill out a Customs Declaration Form at the Post Office.  When I asked what the form was all about, the poor woman behind the counter just rolled her eyes & shrugged apologetically.

Now my sister in law (in Sweden) has been in touch.  Before they can collect the parcel, they need to confirm its contents with the Swedish postal service.

Fucking lunacy.  God only knows how small businesses trying to export to the EU are faring if we're having to jump through all these hoops to get £15 worth of kids' stationery sent there.  And some people actually supporting this nonsense.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11048 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 12:19:05 »

David Frost appointed a Cabinet Minister for dealing with the ongoing rolling catastrafuck that is Brexit. Because far from being the easiest deal we'll ever do, it's such a shitshow it requires a full Cabinet Minister to have it as his sole responsibility. And an unelected bureaucrat at that.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #11049 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 12:56:45 »

David Frost appointed a Cabinet Minister for dealing with the ongoing rolling catastrafuck that is Brexit. Because far from being the easiest deal we'll ever do, it's such a shitshow it requires a full Cabinet Minister to have it as his sole responsibility. And an unelected bureaucrat at that.
For balance it must be stated that unelected bureaucrats are not exclusive to the Tories. Mandelson, Adonis, chakrabati off the top of my head.
I'm not defending this shameful, disgusting, poisonous government by the way.
In terms of Brexit, it was obvious both parties wanted an agreement and almost let things work themselves out as they couldn't actually agree. That's what's happening.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11050 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 13:30:20 »

For balance it must be stated that unelected bureaucrats are not exclusive to the Tories. Mandelson, Adonis, chakrabati off the top of my head.
Leaving aside the fact that Mandelson was an MP, so was elected, the point is that Labour didn't campaign for Brexit to "get rid of unelected bureaucrats", Gove and Johnson did. Only to appoint more of them
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11051 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 14:29:23 »

Leaving aside the fact that Mandelson was an MP, so was elected, the point is that Labour didn't campaign for Brexit to "get rid of unelected bureaucrats", Gove and Johnson did. Only to appoint more of them

If the story in the FT is to be believed Frost threw his toys out the pram and demanded a cabinet position for his loyalty and thus Johnson rolled over and obliged.

As Frost was broadly responsible for negotiating Johnsons 'deal' it does have an air of taking a dump in your own bed and then demanding a massive fee and promotion to try and tidy up your own mess.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11052 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 16:25:14 »

Fucking lunacy.  God only knows how small businesses trying to export to the EU are faring if we're having to jump through all these hoops to get £15 worth of kids' stationery sent there.  And some people actually supporting this nonsense.

There have been similar issues for myself in regards to photography. Went to send a print to Greece from the PO and the person behaved like I was doing something incredibly alien. They huffed a lot, mumbled something about having to go and get something from the back, then came back and said they didn't have the required paperwork! I stated "It's purely just a photographic print and only needs basic compensation cover"... There was a shrug and a "Is there anything else I can help you with?"  Crash

Also Nikon stopped shipping anything to the UK and wouldn't take any new orders. Haven't checked recently but it was the case going into Feb.

The only guidance (or workaround) I was given when requested, was to set up a business within Europe (I think they meant the EU), which just really is neither affordable or practical for myself at present. Unless someone has a shed in France they'd like to loan me? Even then, it'd still need to be "operated" or "distributed" from there.

Britain's Post-Brexit status: Rotting fish, red tpe, and lost business.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11053 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 16:27:48 »

that's not good bamboo.

but at least photographs can be digital I suppose
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #11054 on: Thursday, February 18, 2021, 16:32:33 »

I was going to ask if anyone had any experience posting anything to Europe since the start of the year. I would like to have a box full of my things posted over from the UK but I am worried about customs charges/tax being applied as well as delays

I come from a land down-under
Pages: 1 ... 734 735 736 [737] 738 739 740 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: