Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 ... 876   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1988509 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6540 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 12:05:22 »

The next scheduled general election is May 2022. Standard Labour party procedure will be to hold a general conference the year before and have the party members decide the policy for the upcoming election.

I can't find any info on what the procedure is in the event of a snap election.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6541 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 12:13:08 »

More here: https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1148273296825376768

Looks like Labour will run a general election campaign based on renegotiating the deal and then offer a referendum on that deal or remain.

Meh.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6542 on: Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 12:17:10 »

The next scheduled general election is May 2022. Standard Labour party procedure will be to hold a general conference the year before and have the party members decide the policy for the upcoming election.

Thing is they are still failing to learn from the mistakes that Milliband (E) made, its all very well appealing to the party faithful and saying that we agree policy at conference, but that cuts no ice with the floating voter (especially those pro-remain) who have sat through Corbyns performance pre-referendum which was as enthusiastic about remain as a vegan is in McDonalds, then had to witness the machinations of the last year, which appear to fly in the face of the contrived stuff that was agreed at conference last time whilst it is well known that the three M's at the top of the Labour Party all pro remain on a simple ideological level.

I fear that sadly the ship has sailed for Labour with Corbyn at the helm with anyone who is pro remain.

I can't find any info on what the procedure is in the event of a snap election.

Milne tells Corbyn what to do I assume.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6543 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 16:04:37 »

So the UK ambassador to the US has effectively been forced out on Trump's orders after BJ made it clear he wouldn't back him. Pathetic, but a good warning of exactly where a No Deal Brexit will leave us - wholly dependent on the whims and tempers of a senile manchild and his tantrums. And Boris Johnson won't be able to bend over for him fast enough. So much for "taking back control".
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6544 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 17:33:25 »

So the UK ambassador to the US has effectively been forced out on Trump's orders after BJ made it clear he wouldn't back him. Pathetic, but a good warning of exactly where a No Deal Brexit will leave us - wholly dependent on the whims and tempers of a senile manchild and his tantrums. And Boris Johnson won't be able to bend over for him fast enough. So much for "taking back control".

Trump wants Fartage for the job. I suppose it may have a certain appeal... have him on the inside pissing out rather than the outside pissing in.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6545 on: Wednesday, July 10, 2019, 19:49:41 »

Trump wants Fartage for the job. I suppose it may have a certain appeal... have him on the inside pissing out rather than the outside pissing in.
Trump wants anyone who'll kiss his arse for the job. Any job. But it's probably just a coincidence that the leaks were first published in an article by Isabelle Oakshott, known as a hard Brexiteer, and good mates with Farage and Arron Banks (she was ghost writer for the Banks/Farage victory lap book "Bad Boys of Brexit"). And that Farage has previously suggested himself for the job, and was first out of the traps to demand that Darroch be fired and replaced with someone more amenable to the Trump regime. Like himself, for example. Which is similar logic to suggesting that Arthur Scargill should have been our ambassador to the Soviet Union or Abu Hamza to Iran.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #6546 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 08:48:48 »

Trump's inability to accept any criticism is extraordinary.  He's even turned on Fox News.
Flashheart

« Reply #6547 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 08:56:30 »

A lot of people seem to think he is playing sophisticated mind games to draw attention to his character rather than some of his policies. I don't agree with them. I think he's just an oversensitive, ignorant idiot.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6548 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 09:01:05 »

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6549 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 09:11:00 »

Trump wants anyone who'll kiss his arse for the job. Any job. But it's probably just a coincidence that the leaks were first published in an article by Isabelle Oakshott, known as a hard Brexiteer, and good mates with Farage and Arron Banks (she was ghost writer for the Banks/Farage victory lap book "Bad Boys of Brexit"). And that Farage has previously suggested himself for the job, and was first out of the traps to demand that Darroch be fired and replaced with someone more amenable to the Trump regime. Like himself, for example. Which is similar logic to suggesting that Arthur Scargill should have been our ambassador to the Soviet Union or Abu Hamza to Iran.

Thing is to release this information someone has broken the OSA, Oakeshott (who in addition to your description is also Lord Ashcrofts representative on earth and co-wrote the hatchet job on Cameron) will know her source and I assume that if she knew the story would breach the OSA she is liable and will have to reveal the source?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6550 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 09:30:30 »

Thing is to release this information someone has broken the OSA, Oakeshott (who in addition to your description is also Lord Ashcrofts representative on earth and co-wrote the hatchet job on Cameron) will know her source and I assume that if she knew the story would breach the OSA she is liable and will have to reveal the source?
I'd certainly hope not. There's a long standing tradition that journalists are not forced to reveal their sources, to protect the integrity of the freedom of the press. While Oakeshott's source in this instance doesn't deserve any protection, it's not worth sacrificing the overarching principle for
Flashheart

« Reply #6551 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 09:44:10 »

Sure, but there must be limitations? What's the point of having the OSA if people get to use the press as a loophole? Want to leak some national secrets? Just pass it on through the Sun and you're protected!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6552 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 09:44:58 »

I'd certainly hope not. There's a long standing tradition that journalists are not forced to reveal their sources, to protect the integrity of the freedom of the press. While Oakeshott's source in this instance doesn't deserve any protection, it's not worth sacrificing the overarching principle for

Not sure freedom of the press applies when the OSA has been breached, isn't that getting towards treason territory in legal terms?

Nowt will come of it anyway, if one looks at the vigour the met are expelling to investigate the Leave EU funding one can be sure i will be brushed under the carpet.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6553 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 10:00:09 »

The cartoon above very clearly illustrates the fallacy of 'taking back control'.  More correctly, Brexit involves ceding control to which ever future trading partner we try to do a deal with on our own.

What will be the terms of a US trade deal?  They will be whatever the US decides they will be.  It will almost certainly involve opening up the NHS to commercial exploitation by US healthcare providers.

What will be the terms of a Chinese trade deal?  They will be whatever China decides they will be.  It will almost certainly involve keeping quiet about what's going on in Hong Kong, and agreeing to ignore human rights abuses.

What will be the terms of a trade deal with India?  They will be whatever India decides they will be.  It will almost certainly involve agreeing to loosen immigration requirements to the UK for Indian citizens.

Brexit will make the UK everyone else's bitch.  We will take back control of nothing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6554 on: Thursday, July 11, 2019, 10:13:17 »

But they need us more than we need them..
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 ... 876   Go Up
Print
Jump to: