Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preston North End v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36200 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 12:22:14 »

Personally I think its down to better quality of teams/players we are playing and reduced quailty/organisation of our back four.

He was superb V Chelski
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 12:23:35 »

Digby is not an experienced coach, he is basically an ex player brought in, before he was brought in here at the beggining I think he worked part time on his own business not as a goal keeping coach.
The other side to this is that every coach has to start somewhere.  
And you know this, do you? I was under the impression he'd done a fair bit of goalkeeper coaching, albeit on a private basis rather than attached to a club, before getting involved in the kit business. But I don't know that's the case, so I'd hesitate to criticise him on the basis of some half-remembered "I think I read somewhere that....". If you do know for a fact that he's not done it before, then fair enough. If you don't, might be an idea to check your facts before saying the bloke's no good on the back of assumptions
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 12:27:45 »

A question for those fans who were actually at Preston on Saturday: Cooper said we changed formation and went to a 352 late on. So who played in which position, and who was sweeper between the two markers?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 12:29:52 »

He certainly done some goalkeeper coaching, not at a professional club though AFAIK.  And at one point was looking at setting up goalkeeper coaching courses in the area.

But  even so, its a bit of a leap to say Digby has made Wes worse. Its one possibility, granted, but it could be anything. The way we play and the personnel in front of him leaving him more exposed, or Wes himself becoming comfortable in the job and relaxing a bit too much, or responding worse to Cooper not beating him up in the same PDC did, or, or...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 12:35:29 »

As I said a couple of pages back, Wes has played very well in the last two games in my opinion. Don't remember him making any mistakes at MK either really.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 13:26:26 »

Re Foderingham....it's not unusual for keepers to come in as young players, look to have a really bright future, then performances tail off a bit. Look at Joe Hart, look at Chris Kirkland, look at Paul Robinson...the list goes on.

Think what happens, is that to be a long term consistent goalkeeper requires psychological fortitude...young keepers enter this phase unknowingly...the strong minded survive and have long careers, the weak end up as personal trainers in a David Lloyd sports centre.

That keepers are a strange breed...look no further than Dosser's hero, the man who took the Icke out of cricket....also Albert Camus, who put all he knew about morality down to football, he was a keeper, and Vladimir Nabakov, no doubt Graham Rix's author of choice who wrote....

As with folded arms I leant against the left goalpost. I enjoyed the luxury of closing my eyes, and thus I would listen to my heart knocking and feel the blind drizzle on my face, and hear in the distance the broken sounds of the game, and think of myself as of a fabulous exotic being in an English footballer’s disguise composing my verse in a tongue nobody understood about a remote country nobody knew. Small wonder I was not very popular with my teammates.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 13:40:02 »

Re Foderingham....it's not unusual for keepers to come in as young players, look to have a really bright future, then performances tail off a bit. Look at Joe Hart, look at Chris Kirkland, look at Paul Robinson...the list goes on.

IMO this happened to Digby himself - especially after the injury at Palace.
Dozno9

« Reply #202 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 17:23:22 »

He may have done coaching before, he may had even had his own business doing it. It doesn't mean he has to be any good at it.

I can only go on what I see and that is, in my view, Wes is a worse keeper now then when PDC's crew were here.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 17:55:27 »

Wes picked up a blatant backpass in one of his first games here

Things get better but they never get good

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:17:59 »

Wes picked up a blatant backpass in one of his first games here
he time travelled to train with digby then went back and played that match.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:34:23 »

IMO this happened to Digby himself - especially after the injury at Palace.

Which year was that?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:43:25 »

Which year was that?

87 in the 87/88 season....brought us a first look at Nicky Hammond  Smiley
Dozno9

« Reply #207 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:50:38 »

he time travelled to train with digby then went back and played that match.

He also did an amazing save on Saturday, he must have remembered that from the training he was given 2 years ago.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 19:52:54 »

So I sat through the Preston tunnelcam footage in the vain hope of some drama. To spare you a similar fate, here are the "highlights":

6:38-7:15 Cooper waits for the ref at h/t to complain about a player leading with his elbow (Davies I imagine)

8:55-9:57 Grayson waits in the tunnel to give Darren Ward a warm greeting. Where do they know each other from?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Dozno9

« Reply #209 on: Monday, September 30, 2013, 20:00:12 »

That's quite interesting, it'll be better with sound though!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: