Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Preston North End v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 36004 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:05:46 »

The Opponent: Preston North End

So the Chelsea Power Show (you see what I did there) has rolled on to pastures new, and for me its not a bad thing as we need to start gaining some momentum and push up through the league.  Tuesday was a fantastic night for all concerned with STFC, a full house, great atmosphere, even the Bovril tasted more bone-like than ever before, but now is the time to show what we are made of. We may have an average team age of 22.5 (thanks to Adver Sam for that one), but we have the ability and firepower to ruin most of the teams in this league, and today is a day we need to show it. Preston may well have a big stadium, but let’s face it, they were punching well above their weight for years in The Championship, and now they are really not much better than an average League 1 team. PNE fans are quick to point out that they have a glorious history, the history that dates back to before the shooting of Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand. To be fair they did win the FA Cup in 1938 followed by the Football War Cup 3 years later, but where they find themselves in the league tables nowadays is indicative of where they deserve to be. With Simon Grayson as manager and Peter Risdale as Chairman they do have a bit of a Leeds feel to them too, and their longest serving manager over the last 25 years is none other than the fella who replaced Ferguson at United (even if the fans did want Jose), David Moyes, who points-wise, is still the most successful manager they have had for many a year. So it seems they are consistently inconsistent, if nothing else.  I heard through footballing circles that PNE Thor is now the Governments new face of British Dentistry, and his appearance just confirmed that the village of Preston is still missing one of its many Northern whippet breeding wife beating benefit cheating idiots.

It is a bit of a journey, I did it last year and I have to say the surrounding area rates closely up there with Port Vale for one of the grottiest parts of the country I have been too. Not necessarily rough, just quite simply a northern shithole. Even the local newspaper confirms what I think of the place. One story was a father who went to the Lancashire Evening Post to show off his 12 year old daughters infected pierced ear, I look at him and just see everything that is wrong with the selfish compensation culture that seems all too common in this country.  As mentioned elsewhere, giving Grade II listed status to a bus station is somewhat puzzling, especially when it looks just as bad as the piss stinking effort we have.  I’m sure Preston has its nice points, its probably full of Ordinary Boys (sorry), and when leaving Preston last season I spotted a lovely place on the journey home, The A6, which helps you get away from the ghastly place.

The Last Time We Met At – Deepdale – The less said the better really. The first signs that the Di Canio rollercoaster was starting to derail a little? Possibly. All I remember on the way home was looking at Twitter wanting to know if Foderingham would ever play for us again and wondering which family member he would dedicate a 4-1 drubbing too.

They have served us both – Andy Lonergan, Jay McEvely, David Lucas, Simon Gibson, Jake Jervis, Fola Onibuje and Lee Holmes

Where the opposition gather –

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?82932-Swindon

They are a well informed bunch  - “Mason and Harley are both out injured too and they are both quality players at this level. I think Mason has scored a few for them this season too. I don't understand how they can get away with loaning six players from Spurs? i mean Watford are the worse culprits but surely the system needs addressing”.

PNE Last 6 – DDWWWW

The Odds - PNE 6/5  Draw 12/5 Swindon 11/5

The Son Says – His disappointment at losing to the former Champions of Europe was rather short lived. 3-0 Town.

The Prediction – We have some demons to exorcise at Deepdale starting today. We only have 2 players left from the starting team that lined up against them 11 months ago plus Darren Ward on the bench. We are literally a different team, with a different style of play and we will pass our way around them for 90 minutes. 2-1 Town with goals from a returning to form Luongo and Ajose. 10’998 with 510 from Swindon.

And Finally - The Preston by-pass, opened 5 December 1958, became the first stretch of motorway in the UK and is now part of the M6 with a short section now forming part of the M55. It was built to ease traffic congestion in Preston caused bTy tourists travelling to the popular destinations of Blackpool and The Lake District. The first traffic cones were used during its construction, replacing red lantern paraffin burners.

COYR COYR COYR
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:15:15 »

This one has draw written all over it
They have been miserly at the back which is unusual for a grayson team - for a former defender his defence at Leeds was woeful

The club deffo ruled out Harley but I have seen nothing concrete re Mason and the Power Ranger
If both of those play may give us the edge esp in attack
I take it Bryne will be back in contention, he has been missed going forward last 3 games IMHO

« Last Edit: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:20:16 by @mwooly63 » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:18:22 »

Wait, we've registered our DoF as a player now?
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:20:46 »

Wait, we've registered our DoF as a player now?

Fuckin laptop keyboard  Crying
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:24:06 »

Fuckin laptop keyboard  Crying

To be fair I should have made the leap. Definitely time for bed.
Dozno9

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 07:28:43 »

Come down for us following the last 2 games, I'd take a draw now but going for a 2-0 loss.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 08:06:52 »

I have absolutely no idea about this one. Let's say 3-0 win, I have no idea which way though. We're either going to outpass and outclass them or they're going to smash us to bits.

I'd say 350 town fans? It's far and a bloody awful trip.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 08:30:41 »

Seems like Grayson's done his homework.

http://www.pnefc.net/news/article/grayson-respectful-of-robins260913-1077994.aspx

Expect them to sit back and look to hit us on the counter. Probably exactly the sort of team we'll struggle against, miserly at the back and direct in attack, but you never know in football. First goal will be important.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:06:14 »

Hard to call until we see what team we put out but a draw would be a decent result against an inform PNE so 2-2 Nguessan and El Gabbas
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:26:17 »

No idea how this will go today. Would be happy with a draw.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:27:30 »

Hard to call until we see what team we put out but a draw would be a decent result against an inform PNE so 2-2 Nguessan and El Gabbas
They are going well so a draw would be a good result, however I'd like a win just to shut that fat hairy troll up. A lot depends on Ranger though.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:38:04 »

Away from home against a side with an excellent home record, would be chuffed with a point.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:38:27 »

Could have done with an easier game this particular week. Best expectations is a draw and after Preston`s recent good run - which needs to end sometime - and why not today....? 1-1

Bathtime
corner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 09:49:47 »

0-2 coyr
fatbasher

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 28, 2013, 10:02:28 »

Good feeling about this actually. If they have as positive a mindset as I have after the Chelsea game where I considered 0-3 or less a moral victory then they should get something from this one. I predict 1-2 victory for the Robins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: