Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 49640 times)
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 20:55:11 »

About 800 town fans i reckon
« Last Edit: Monday, August 5, 2013, 20:57:11 by manc_red » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:08:22 »

Is 4 from 14 (6 from 21) shite? And he looked OK to me on the Sky playoff game. Not checked Cheltenham's forum to see what the fans thought though.

Williams is 11 from 34, not massively better. #

Its the only reason I can come up with that makes any sense to me.

It must be like Nestor Lorenzo all over again.  Didn't we also do this with a player in the early 00's who got close t triggering a payment?  To be honest I was a little more gutted about Lorenzo, as much as I liked Benson during the promotion campaign.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:17:36 »

It must be like Nestor Lorenzo all over again.  Didn't we also do this with a player in the early 00's who got close t triggering a payment? 

Robin Hulbert "he was signed by First Division Swindon Town on the agreement that Swindon would pay the "Toffees" £25,000 for every 30 games " He played 29 games.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:18:01 »

We did, it was Robin Hulbert, it was Robin wasn't it? We would have had to pay Everton about 50 grand I think if he played one more game.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:18:54 »

Beaten to it. Oh well
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:27:56 »

The whole 'not playing Benson because it will trigger a payment' myth is annoying me now.

We signed him in a straight swap for Leon Clarke - no add ons involved. He hasn't been given a squad number because, rightly or wrongly, he has been deemed surplus to requirements and efforts are being made to get him out before the end of August.

Why not use him off the bench? Because if he isn't wanted, then why play him over someone who is going to be part of the squad for the season. Add to that the possibility of him picking up an injury that could scupper any deal then it's no surprise he isn't in the squad.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:36:00 »

Hulbert got me a few away comps as he was my neighbours nephew.

He played in that port vale away game in the snow when Ndah notched.

Clems Army!
fatbasher

« Reply #322 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:50:06 »

The whole 'not playing Benson because it will trigger a payment' myth is annoying me now.

We signed him in a straight swap for Leon Clarke - no add ons involved. He hasn't been given a squad number because, rightly or wrongly, he has been deemed surplus to requirements and efforts are being made to get him out before the end of August.

Why not use him off the bench? Because if he isn't wanted, then why play him over someone who is going to be part of the squad for the season. Add to that the possibility of him picking up an injury that could scupper any deal then it's no surprise he isn't in the squad.
Chang me old China, lets look at you post in more detail.

No-one gives a fuck if it's annoying you, I certainly don't. Smiley
We could have swapped Clarke for any cunt, that's not the point. The devil is in the actual contract between STFC and Benno. It is supposition by me and possibily others that his numeration is part of the problem. You may be right that he does not fit in with out "style of play" whatever that is going to be.
Using him off the bench could cost us more than we need to spend and fuck up out "style of play" as above. He's not wanted, end of and he won't be used over someone who is going to be an intrinsic part of our squad. You are right that playing him will scupper any possibility of sending him off with a ticker tape farewell if he's injured. All in all I don't think to many people are surprised he's not in the squad, a few yes but not the masses. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 22:59:21 »

Chang me old China, lets look at you post in more detail.

No-one gives a fuck if it's annoying you, I certainly don't. Smiley
We could have swapped Clarke for any cunt, that's not the point. The devil is in the actual contract between STFC and Benno. It is supposition by me and possibily others that his numeration is part of the problem. You may be right that he does not fit in with out "style of play" whatever that is going to be.
Using him off the bench could cost us more than we need to spend and fuck up out "style of play" as above. He's not wanted, end of and he won't be used over someone who is going to be an intrinsic part of our squad. You are right that playing him will scupper any possibility of sending him off with a ticker tape farewell if he's injured. All in all I don't think to many people are surprised he's not in the squad, a few yes but not the masses. 

NAH that's TAH...
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 03:18:19 »

It's ALL about the financials... Clubs put options to extend contracts, players put bonuses and wage increases based on performance, goals and appearances.  Remember some time back when we were 'rich' we triggered the clause in Caddis' contract for a 1 year extension? do you really believe a players agent would allow that without some incentive, pay increase or bonus element? Of course not.. And I'd imagine that there is some other clause that says if we trigger it and he ends up not playing In that additional season then bonuses and wage increases are not payable in full.

Furthermore, when you are trying to offload players who are clearly on good salaries above their ability why give them more incentive to sit on the bench and do nothing by giving them some window time and paying them even more - everyone has seen what these players can do over the last two seasons and if they were that good they'd have been snapped up by now and offered higher or equal salaries boy other clubs but they haven't. 

Even the player we thought was the best thing since sliced bread (Ferry) struggled to find another club.

I'll say it again, it's ALL about the financials and I don't blame the board one bit - they inherited this shit from the previous regime...
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 06:47:59 »

It's ALL about the financials... Clubs put options to extend contracts, players put bonuses and wage increases based on performance, goals and appearances.  Remember some time back when we were 'rich' we triggered the clause in Caddis' contract for a 1 year extension? do you really believe a players agent would allow that without some incentive, pay increase or bonus element? Of course not.. And I'd imagine that there is some other clause that says if we trigger it and he ends up not playing In that additional season then bonuses and wage increases are not payable in full.

Furthermore, when you are trying to offload players who are clearly on good salaries above their ability why give them more incentive to sit on the bench and do nothing by giving them some window time and paying them even more - everyone has seen what these players can do over the last two seasons and if they were that good they'd have been snapped up by now and offered higher or equal salaries boy other clubs but they haven't.  

Even the player we thought was the best thing since sliced bread (Ferry) struggled to find another club.

I'll say it again, it's ALL about the financials and I don't blame the board one bit - they inherited this shit from the previous regime...
And I don't think that anyone with more than half a brain cell would blame them, that's clearly the reason Benson et al are not featuring. It's just Jed's line that Benson supposedly "Doesn't fit in with our football philosophy" that grates with me. We're not completely stupid Jed Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 06:50:06 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
fatbasher

« Reply #326 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 06:56:45 »

It's ALL about the financials... Clubs put options to extend contracts, players put bonuses and wage increases based on performance, goals and appearances.  Remember some time back when we were 'rich' we triggered the clause in Caddis' contract for a 1 year extension? do you really believe a players agent would allow that without some incentive, pay increase or bonus element? Of course not.. And I'd imagine that there is some other clause that says if we trigger it and he ends up not playing In that additional season then bonuses and wage increases are not payable in full.

Exactly.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #327 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 07:10:36 »

Spot on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 07:34:56 »

Wish I'd written that post, nailed it
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Tuesday, August 6, 2013, 07:53:02 »

And I don't think that anyone with more than half a brain cell would blame them, that's clearly the reason Benson et al are not featuring. It's just Jed's line that Benson supposedly "Doesn't fit in with our football philosophy" that grates with me. We're not completely stupid Jed Roll Eyes

But he doesn't fit with the new philosophy which is not to pay players vastly inflated wages.

It is interesting (and this is not aimed at the quoted post) that in many peoples eyes Benson seems to have become some sort of striking messiah who will solve all our problems on his own. He was great in Division 4 for us but even by the end of that season it was obvious that he couldn't last a full 90 minutes even at that level (anyone remember Morecambe) and Paolo recognised this and moved on which people kind of accepted.

Now however possibly as a stick to hit Cooper and Jedders with its disgraceful that we don't play him even though he is a year older than he was. As some have said it possibly is financial reasons or simply that they think he is not good enough or past it, interestingly much like Ferry there doesn't seem to be a stampede to take him off our hands.

Quality player in division 4 and good luck to the guy, but lets not get too carried away.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: