Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 49995 times)
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:12:04 »

Benson hasn't got the legs or the physical presence to spearhead the attack anymore, anyone that saw him play for Cheltenham in the play offs could see that.

As an option off the bench with 10 minutes to go perhaps, but nothing else.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:18:42 »

I saw someone else asked the question yesterday, but couldn't see a response - How many made it up from swindon? Didn't look loads on ssnews.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:22:36 »

Benson hasn't got the legs or the physical presence to spearhead the attack anymore, anyone that saw him play for Cheltenham in the play offs could see that.

As an option off the bench with 10 minutes to go perhaps, but nothing else.
Which would make him a very expensive impact sub....

It's All Good..............
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:25:48 »

Where's this belief that Benson would be our saviour come from? He struggled at the start of last season in League One and hardly pulled any trees up while on loan.

He's a natural finisher. He started off last season alright.
Never claimed he'd be our saviour but our striking options are limited and neither of the other 2 offer what Benson would do as a loan striker.

Do I think his inclusion in our squad would be a positive, even as a bit part player - yes.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:26:21 »

About 700 I reckon

Edit damn it didn't quote, that was an estimate of away  fans
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #305 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:27:34 »

He's a natural finisher. He started off last season alright.
Never claimed he'd be our saviour but our striking options are limited and neither of the other 2 offer what Benson would do as a loan striker.

Do I think his inclusion in our squad would be a positive, even as a bit part player - yes.

But you don't know how much it would cost us to put him in the squad. Is it still positive if playing him puts us in a transfer embargo for example?

I wish people would stop second guessing without all the facts. The simple truth is we don't know why Benson isn't playing, but he isn't and there is fuck all we can do about it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:31:34 »

I've said plenty of times that in my opinion he isn't playing due to goal bonus, apprence fee and potential fees to Charlton.

He won't play for us again.

Put all the financial guessing aside, purely on football is he worth including?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:31:40 »

Someone earlier mentioned about Jimmy Davis, just spotted a piece in the Guardian that may be of interest -

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/05/jimmy-davis-danny-webber-united-watford

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:40:47 »

I've said plenty of times that in my opinion he isn't playing due to goal bonus, apprence fee and potential fees to Charlton.

He won't play for us again.

Unfortunately we can't put the financial stuff aside but I don't think he's the man to be relied upon for the entire season. Not at his age and not as a lone striker.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:42:47 »

It was. Although I heard nothing about it till afterwards.

Of course his mum gave a speech before our next home game against Notts County. Heart wrenching stuff...

That will always live me.. especially the "Come on Swindon!" at the end. Seemed to give the crowd and players a lift.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #310 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:58:44 »

I'm not convinced. He was shite for Cheltenham last year. That said I would at least give him a few games to show what he is still capable of, if money was no object.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 16:03:52 »

I know they (Caddis, Benson and Rooney) are on a decent amount of money and the board are keen to get them off the wage bill, but whilst here we may as well use them, even more so if they are getting paid so much to do feck all.

The concern of course is if they have contracts that have large appearance fees/win bonuses that they are just too fucking expensive to play, especially for 10 minutes at the end of a match!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 16:06:21 »

I'm not convinced. He was shite for Cheltenham last year. That said I would at least give him a few games to show what he is still capable of, if money was no object.

Is 4 from 14 (6 from 21) shite? And he looked OK to me on the Sky playoff game. Not checked Cheltenham's forum to see what the fans thought though.

Williams is 11 from 34, not massively better. #

The concern of course is if they have contracts that have large appearance fees/win bonuses that they are just too fucking expensive to play, especially for 10 minutes at the end of a match!!

Its the only reason I can come up with that makes any sense to me.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 16:50:49 »

I've been saying for months we will struggle with this side and while 90 minutes doesn't make a season, I was really impressed with the football we played.
A special mention for the referee, he was truly shocking and can the Town supporters cut Williams some slack. He's not the guy to play in That position, we know it, he knows it and management know it but play there he must. Please accept it.
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 20:53:53 »

A special mention for the referee, he was truly shocking

He was dire, surprised it's not been mentioned before.

Not a lot to add on the game that hasn't been said really - encouraging signs and there are clearly at lot of very talanted young players in that side who are comfortable on the ball and creative going forward. We played some lovely football at times and always looked to get it down and play it, I can barely remember us putting the ball in the air the whole game (Wes aside - but even he looked to play it out to the full backs first).

Early days yet and whether they're up to [insert northern shit hole] on a Tuesday night in December remains to be seen, but we could well surprise a few people this year. It won't be boring anyway, that's for sure.

Also, and I'm not saying this is a bad thing necessarily, but I'd find it incredible if Spurs didn't have an influance over our style of play this season.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 5, 2013, 20:57:55 by manc_red » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: