Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 50012 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:35:13 »

a skipper approaching 40
He's only 34!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:36:58 »

Heh Heh heh... i remember that. I also think I remember Lloyd Owusu being a world-beater that day. Annoyingly.
I sometimes worry that I made that up, glad someone else remembers it!

Our lineup that day combined the wonders of Parkin, Igoe, Mooney, Migs with the horrors of Griemink, Viveash, Hewlett, Duke and Robinson.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:37:10 »

I have felt our preparation for the new season was worth a 10 point deduction in itself.

A manager walk out, an unexplained Tottenham link, a caretaker manager who didn't really show any positive interest in the vacant post himself, disaffected senior pros we cannot or will not play, a bunch of kids led by a skipper approaching 40 and a line up lacking anyone able to play the lone striker role.

I didn't go but it seems "Lee's Babes" have given us reason to be cheerful in that they have put in a good performance at a decent club at this level in their very first outing.  I kept my 0-4 prediction to myself so, yes, I am quite cheered.

Whether this promise is something that can be built on does of course remain to be seen and entails more Boardroom debate - or, in a little while, all will indeed become clearer.

Only thing worth commenting is that Ward is 34 so not exactly approaching 40! He's a similar age to me and I can certainly tell you that I don't think I'm approaching 40 yet thanks!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:39:37 »

Except for the bloke in the Town End who threw his season ticket on the pitch after Kuqi scored their third

Those of us who stayed to witness the second half performance knew we were in for a good season.
10 fucking years ago now, right?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:45:10 »

I remember the guy throwing his season ticket too. In my mind he was at the front of the DRS though (townend end) and I seem to remember him going and picking it up after we got a goal or two back as well. 

A superb over reaction.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:46:42 »

I too was at that game. Wednesday were 3-0 up in 25 minutes.

Igoe and Miglioranzi made it 2-3 with half an hour left but to no avail. Wednesday brought thousands and it was roasting hot.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:49:07 »

I noticed Parkin scored at the weekend. Even though his career trajectory has been the polar opposite of what we all expected I'd have him back here...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:50:18 »

Was that the same guy who lobbed the water bottle at him?

Anyway it was only the season before last that showed exactly why an unsuccessful (or indeed successful in Tranmere's case last year) first month means not too much.

I do think we need a win or two early on though, as we don't want the kids under to much pressure too early.

But it sounded promising, now we need to get the white bag of air in the onion net. Which will happen tomorrow.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #293 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:00:19 »

I noticed Parkin scored at the weekend. Even though his career trajectory has been the polar opposite of what we all expected I'd have him back here...
He got MoM at Exeter at the weekend too, they are hailing him as Curetons perfect replacement! if he stays fit he will be a good asset for them. I would have welcomed him back too but they do say you should never go back to an old club.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:01:39 »

...and Migz too, even though he's retired now!!

Parkin and Mooney - exactly why you should always play 2 upfront! Deadly...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:03:45 »

That Wednesday game 10 years ago was the day we heard Jimmy Davis had been killed i think?!

A strange atmosphere before the game that day.

RIP
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:06:35 »

It was. Although I heard nothing about it till afterwards.

Of course his mum gave a speech before our next home game against Notts County. Heart wrenching stuff...
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:11:00 »

Ward is 34 so not exactly approaching 40! He's a similar age to me and I can certainly tell you that I don't think I'm approaching 40 yet thanks!
Perhaps I should stop digging but you're not approaching 30 anymore, that's for sure. Wink
Spud

« Reply #298 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:14:30 »

That Wednesday game 10 years ago was the day we heard Jimmy Davis had been killed i think?!

A strange atmosphere before the game that day.

RIP

Strange old day that was. Started off really looking forward to the new season, against a big club, to realising that matters off the pitch were far more important.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 15:04:54 »

I didnt go Saturday or even listen to it....did we create chances? Would having a finisher like Benson on for the last 20 minutes made the difference.

Don't think even with age you lose that ability to be in the right place at the right time.

Doubt we'll find out if Benson could have an impact anyway....
Where's this belief that Benson would be our saviour come from? He struggled at the start of last season in League One and hardly pulled any trees up while on loan.

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: