Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737371 times)
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #2385 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 21:59:13 »

Literally just had my first blast on a bike since smashing my thigh and knee in on the MTB a few weeks ago.

25 mins on the turbo with a GCN spin video...all seems to be ok. Except for the massive dearth of fitness.

Just need some decent weather now to get out on the roa......damn   Crash
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2386 on: Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 11:53:18 »

Literally just had my first blast on a bike since smashing my thigh and knee in on the MTB a few weeks ago.

I am of the opinion that this happens more on mountain bikes than it does on road.

Bennett's view of its being a "bit shit" is not far from the truth  Grin
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2387 on: Wednesday, December 7, 2016, 18:31:39 »

Tighten the tensioner right up. Clip in (whilst leaning against something/stationary). Your foot should really be quite hard to get out and only a few degrees lateral float (depending on what cleats you have). Anything more and the pedals are likely to be shot or you haven't screwed your cleats in properly!

That's where I'd start anyway

YUP

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2388 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 21:17:31 »

My daughter made it onto the GCN show this week  Grin

just after 21.40
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #2389 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 21:28:24 »

TEF,

I'm sure its buried deep in this thread somewhere, but I can't be arsed to look.

Recommendations for a turbo trainer, ideally a smart one, as the mrs wants to ride indoors before the warmer weather comes.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2390 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 22:45:38 »

What sort of price range?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2391 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 22:58:29 »

Bought an elite rampa for Xmas. Really pleased with it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 15:51:38 by Nomoreheroes » Logged

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #2392 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 06:53:20 »

What sort of price range?

£150
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2393 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 09:20:50 »

Ribble are punting some out in the sale at the moment http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/trainers-and-rollers/?dir=asc&order=most_discounted

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2394 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 09:25:11 »

You'll be limited for choice on £150. I have a Tacx Satori which I'd recommend.  This is the smart version

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-satori-smart-trainer/

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2395 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2017, 12:35:34 »

You'll be limited for choice on £150. I have a Tacx Satori which I'd recommend.  This is the smart version

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-satori-smart-trainer/

I have got the Tacx Satori Smart, although smart may be over egging it a bit as the Tacx app is not great, works fine with Trainer Road though. Shop around, I am sure I didn't pay that much for it, depends how desperate you are as I suspect prices will drop as Spring emerges.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2396 on: Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 12:22:57 »

Oh well didn't get into Ride London for another year, probably just as well as I had entirely forgotten I entered the ballot and thus had done no planning for logistics etc.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #2397 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 22:47:41 »

Been getting back out in the wild on two wheels the last couple of weeks. Went out on my first "long" ride on the road bike the other weekend. Planned for a 30 mile blast to ease myself back into it. Was enjoying it so much I thought I'd add a bit more by heading towards Cricklade from Minety to get back to Purton. Of course, as soon as I got elbow deep in that idea, the lights went out big time. Probably slightly down to not having any distance in the legs but in hindsight more down to not eating enough before going out or anything during the ride. Ended up crawling back for the last 5 miles, chewing on my handlebar tape. Speed graph on Strava is pretty comical. 30 miles of decent 18+mph and then falls off a cliff for the last 5. Packed lunch needed for the next 2hr ride.

Also been getting out on the MTB at Croft a couple of times lately...without hurting myself for a change!
Went to the big daddy, Bike Park Wales, yesterday morning, though. Absolute hoot, despite the bitter wind and snow. It eventually got so bad that they closed all the trails just as we were finishing our session for the morning, perfect timing. Ended up hiring some ridiculous Trek Slash 160mm fullsus job for the morning. Pricey, espesially considering they spent an age setting it up during the time I was supposed to be riding it, but bloody nice.

The uplift service is always booked weeks in advance, so we were pedalling up the bloody mountain all morning. Good bit of training for the road bike. In hindsight, Deffo need to book uplift if hiring a bike to get full VFM from it doing the fun stuff downhill. Suddenly turns it into a 80/90 quid morning though. I'll be buying a decent bike at some point soon hopefully. 7 quid for just a day pass to the park isn't bad if you've got the time and energy to keep pedalling back up the mountain for the day.

"Only" stuck to the blue runs (apparently their grading is on the generous side, rather than over playing the difficulty!) but they're plenty technical enough when just starting out. Scary enough to get a massive buzz off them without properly shitting yourself and coming off, especially on a decent bike to soak up my hamfistedness.

Absolutely hooked now. Just need to get the boring first-time house buy out the way and then can see how much I've got left for a decent bike.

The footy is too fucking depressing to bother talking about, anyone else been able to keep up their two wheeled exploits recently?
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2398 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 23:12:49 »

Trying to get fit for the Tour of Flanders sportive at the start of April, been getting out once a week plus a bit on the turbo. Thought it was going well last week when I did a 63 miler with 4200' of climbing, blowing out of my arse at the end only to realise that the Sportive is 20 miles further and 1000' further up but we will get there somehow. Could also do with losing c.2 stone but with wine and beer that's unlikely.

Had a good spin out yesterday although 20 odd miles into a northerly freezing block head wind was a bit of a wanker. It's too fucking cold at the moment!
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #2399 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 09:35:30 »

Webber - sounds great fun. I took the MTB out with my son on Sunday and when round some trail routes at a place near me called Queen Eliz Park - stuck to the easy ones as I am bit of a girl when coming downhill.

Horlock - great to hear you are back on the bike again after everything. I'm sure you'll be fine for the TOF - you'll be fitter by then and better prepared.

I did the Wiggle Rocket Sportive with Mrs B at the weekend. It was snowing at the start, wet, sleet, miserable and bloody freezing. Plus I did it at her pace which is a few mph under mine which meant I was never working hard enough to get warm. I didn't feel my toes for 5 hours and that includes being sat in the car on the way home. I did meet a lovely post office owner who let me sit round an electric heater for a while to defrost.

Despite it being one of the most miserable days on the bike ever it still beats not cycling.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: