Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737519 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2355 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 10:01:37 »

Definately getting a bigger profile year on year.

Could really be something it wasn't up against a grand tour

True, but the Vuelta is such a climber's race, that it means there's a bundle of riders who just can't really do it comfortably.

There's a TT coming up that will have Wiggins, T Martin, Dumoulin and Rohan Dennis to name but 4.

I do like the Vuelta, it wins because it gets stages like Sunday, but loses because it is so grimpeur dominant.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2356 on: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, 08:59:17 »

Good grief http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-37288210 It was interesting to compare the good natured atmosphere between drivers, cyclists and the police at the ToB on Monday with the ever rising blood pressures of those getting caught up in the periphery!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #2357 on: Thursday, September 8, 2016, 22:57:02 »

Any of you lot having a trip out to the Tour of Britain this year, rode up to the top of Kirkstone Pass yesterday and watched them finish the struggle, t'was a good day out although visibility was nearly zero!

No but I've had a few pints in the Kirkstone Inn (I think that's what it's called) on a lunch break in the middle of an all day walk.
I have ridden Hardknott and Wrynose a couple of years ago as part of the Wasdale half Iron Man, and I rode Whinlatter as part of the C2C.

Great crowds out for that leg though, I've been impressed with the crowds for all the stages actually
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2358 on: Thursday, October 6, 2016, 18:56:11 »

I really hate that Tiernan-Locke is the go-to source for rubbish cycling reporting.
I'm not linking it for you as he's bitter and come across as a nob.

You're welcome!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #2359 on: Thursday, October 6, 2016, 19:42:26 »

Pretty much word-for-word what Lance Armstrong and his fans said about Floyd Landis
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2360 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 08:49:24 »

Pretty much word-for-word what Lance Armstrong and his fans said about Floyd Landis

And pretty much what can also be said about Paul Kimmage sadly.

I have no idea of the wrongs and rights of Wiggins case, but for some context it would be interesting to see who else in the peloton is using TUE's and when?

This has illustrated how crap the cycling media is as much of it seems to only come alive when they can talk about doping and secondly to what an extent many cycling fans actually don't seem to like the sport and only get excited when doping comes up.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2361 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:22:00 »

I don't particularly care for Wiggins, but can't tell if this was aimed at me or a general comment!

re horlock's point - Johnathon Vaughters has put forward the idea of all TUE's being in the public eye for scrutiny.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2362 on: Friday, October 7, 2016, 16:38:36 »

I don't particularly care for Wiggins, but can't tell if this was aimed at me or a general comment!

re horlock's point - Johnathon Vaughters has put forward the idea of all TUE's being in the public eye for scrutiny.

Cycling and medicine aren't my bag but I think that would be absolutely correct for cycling and probably for tennis and all sport.  We have Serena and Maria in the news in the last few days and Dan Carter and Joe Rockococo too.

This is about "fair sport" rather than "clean sport" (professional sport will always have its cheats) and if all participants can be made aware of what TUEs are given for and what treatments for what problems are acceptable then that is fair

The "medical confidentiality" counter argument is weak.  Either don't take otherwise banned substances and soldier on regretting that your asthma has flared up at an inconvenient time just before the Tour de France or waive your right to confidentiality in so far only as the exemption is concerned and take a TUE-permitted banned substance openly, innit?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2363 on: Tuesday, November 1, 2016, 08:52:12 »

Just registered for the Tour of Flanders Sportive this morning, its next April so gives me some time to get fit. Only doing the 130km option so it won't completely kill me and mean I can enjoy the beer and frites whilst we are over there!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2364 on: Wednesday, November 2, 2016, 17:44:10 »

I would have entered some of the Belgian classic sportive's, but have a week in Majorca booked.
I bought a 2euro raffle ticket to get into http://www.maratona.it/en/ for July!

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2365 on: Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 16:30:12 »

If anyone wants a referral code for trainerroad (1 free month), all you'll need is a turbo trainer, laptop and ant+ dongle, plus:
1. a powermeter
2. cadence and speed senors

let me know, innit.

FYI - trainerroad is ace, a lot less gimimicky than zwift

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2366 on: Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 19:17:08 »

Do you definitely need a power meter?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2367 on: Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 20:06:00 »

If anyone wants a referral code for trainerroad (1 free month), all you'll need is a turbo trainer, laptop and ant+ dongle, plus:
a powermeter
OR
cadence and speed senors

let me know, innit.

FYI - trainerroad is ace, a lot less gimimicky than zwift

ahem

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #2368 on: Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 20:23:24 »

It's there any time limit?? If not I'll have it for when the world stops spinning
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2369 on: Tuesday, November 8, 2016, 20:37:40 »

pm me your email address dude

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: