Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737578 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2340 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 20:55:35 »

I haven't but I know someone that did it this year. They stayed at a travel lodge about 5 miles from the start and rode in. I can get details of the hotel if you want?
I've applied in the ballot. Travelodge details may be useful if.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2341 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 21:11:22 »

I haven't but I know someone that did it this year. They stayed at a travel lodge about 5 miles from the start and rode in. I can get details of the hotel if you want?
That would be great, would allow me to judge whether I can make it work from up here.

Ta muchly
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2342 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 22:36:59 »

I did it last year and enjoyed every second. Perfect weather conditions, good early starting time and finished in 4:38. The last few miles through Parliament Square and turning onto the mall were incredible.
Other people I know started later and had one of their worst days cycling. Inexperienced people weaving over the road and braking unnecessarily for starters then they got stuck in a 2 hour hold up while air ambulance landed to deal with a casualty on Leith Hill - seemingly an annual occurrence.
We stayed at London City Airport ibis and cycled to and from start/finish. Definitely recommended.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2343 on: Thursday, August 18, 2016, 08:36:29 »

Thanks I will have a look, plus possibly try and adjust my estimated time to try for an early start if I decide to go for it. As I will be coming down on the train I have the logistics of getting into Euston, getting to register and then hotel and then doing all the same on the Monday.
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2344 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 20:00:59 »

Quickie there was some discussion on here previously about cheap ANT dongles to connect a laptop with a turbo and Garmin what was the suggested one and are they easy for a fuckwit to set up?
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2345 on: Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 20:32:47 »

Quickie there was some discussion on here previously about cheap ANT dongles to connect a laptop with a turbo and Garmin what was the suggested one and are they easy for a fuckwit to set up?

I did it so yes !
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2346 on: Friday, August 26, 2016, 13:39:57 »

I did it so yes !

Which one have you got, I don't really want to spend a fortune as not sure how well it will work?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #2347 on: Friday, August 26, 2016, 15:58:15 »

I've got hte garmin ant+ stick:
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/garmin-usb-mini-ant-sticktm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0f-9BRCF9-D60_n4rKcBEiQAnXW4-1PiaHpifW8OcTmEJhD6HR4fUK_-jNo9lbqXeJTrq8QaAtar8P8HAQ

It works very well picking up my power meter from 1.5 meters away

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2348 on: Thursday, September 1, 2016, 09:51:16 »

Letter to the PM......

Dear Prime Minister,

The Great Britain cycling team athletes topped the cycling medal table for the third Olympic Games in a row at Rio 2016. It was a truly outstanding performance and enhances Britain’s status as the world’s leading elite cycling nation.

You were widely reported in the media as saying that there will be “no limits” on the honours that could be bestowed on our medal winners. But the best way to honour the achievements of our athletes would be a legacy of every-day cycling in this country – a place where cycling is the choice form of transport for people to get around in their daily lives.

Your predecessor called for a “cycling revolution” and your government’s manifesto sets out a target to “double” the number of journeys cycled. While some steps have been made, cycling is still a transport mode which does not enjoy the government investment or political leadership given to roads, rail or aviation.

The government is now considering feedback on the draft Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy (CWIS). We urge the government to publish this and set out a timeline to address the chronic underfunding and lack of leadership which is keeping cycling for transport in the slow lane. Only networks of segregated cycle lanes in towns and cities across the country can achieve and influence growth.

The success of the CWIS will be felt not only across government but in all areas of the nation’s life.

The government’s sports strategy seeks to extend the number of people living physically active lives and could be truly transformative. Active travel – walking and cycling – is the easiest way for people of all ages to fit physical activity into their lives. Currently, only one in five people achieve the recommended levels of physical activity.

Around one in three children is overweight or obese. The government’s childhood obesity strategy recognises the value of physical activity and the importance of walking and cycling to school. I am sure you know that this will seem a fanciful idea for most parents without the convenient walking and cycling routes which would give them the confidence that their children will be safe getting to school. Yet we know it can be achieved – in the Netherlands, 50% of education-age children cycle to school.

As cities like Copenhagen and New York have shown, cycling also creates better places to live and work. More cycling cuts congestion, reduces noise pollution and fuels local economies. Small businesses in New York have seen a 49% increase in business where cycle lanes have been installed.

There is huge latent demand for cycling. Two thirds of people would cycle more if they felt safer on the roads. The government’s road safety statement reiterates the manifesto commitment to reduce the number of cyclists killed or injured. The CWIS needs to set targets to improve road maintenance, enhance enforcement of the laws, and update the rules of the road to better consider the needs of cyclists.

To make this happen, we need 5% of the government’s transport spend allocated to cycling. This is the only way that cycling will be integrated into transport strategy and given the priority it deserves.

Investment in cycling as a form of transport isn’t purely an investment in cycle lanes. It is an investment that will pay off for the nation’s health, wealth, transport infrastructure and the vibrancy of our towns and cities. It has the added benefit of just making it easier for ordinary families to get to work and get to school.

Our athletes have inspired the country and now we urge the government to take cycling seriously as a transport option for everyone.

British Cycling’s policy adviser Chris Boardman would welcome a meeting to discuss this further. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Boardman, policy adviser, British Cycling and Olympic gold medalist

Sir Chris Hoy, six-time Olympic gold medallist, joint most successful British Olympian

Laura Trott, four-time Olympic gold medallist and Britain’s most successful female Olympian

Jason Kenny, six-time Olympic gold medallist, joint most successful British Olympian

Mark Cavendish, Olympic silver medallist

Joanna Rowsell Shand, double Olympic gold medallist

Elinor Barker, Olympic gold medallist

Owain Doull, Olympic gold medallist

Becky James, double Olympic silver medallist

Katy Marchant, bronze medallist

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #2349 on: Thursday, September 1, 2016, 16:19:41 »

To be honest, if the government spent all the money they received from road users in Vehicle Excise Duty, fuel tax, insurance premium tax on motor insurance, we'd have the best roads, cycle lanes, buses and trains in the world. Instead, it goes the to treasury and they divvy it up. Shame really.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2350 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 07:37:50 »

Any of you lot having a trip out to the Tour of Britain this year, rode up to the top of Kirkstone Pass yesterday and watched them finish the struggle, t'was a good day out although visibility was nearly zero!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2351 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 08:41:08 »

Any of you lot having a trip out to the Tour of Britain this year, rode up to the top of Kirkstone Pass yesterday and watched them finish the struggle, t'was a good day out although visibility was nearly zero!

No.

Nice work though, and definitely the place to go....shame you couldn't see much.

There's some talent in this year's ToB.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2352 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 09:44:24 »

Sunday's stage of the Vuelta was a right corker, probably cost Froome the race mind you.

Can't really remember a stage like that where there is serious attack from a GC contender within the first few KMs
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2353 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 09:48:22 »

There's some talent in this year's ToB.

Definately getting a bigger profile year on year.

Could really be something it wasn't up against a grand tour
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2354 on: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, 09:56:11 »

Definately getting a bigger profile year on year.

Could really be something it wasn't up against a grand tour
There was a lot of murmurings on the roadside yesterday that they are looking for a move to get it away from the Vuelta.

Got to see Bradley Wiggins climbing back on his bike which was jolly exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: