Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the countdown to 52  (Read 46702 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 15:14:07 »

yeah, but you can then argue the opposite; if they are expected to win, they may be too complacent...

i'm not sure i care either way

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 15:58:04 »

firstly i apologise for my earlier comment.i obviously got it wrong.
this is absolute madness on wilsons part,hence why i thought it was bullshit.
i can't believe a manager would do anything so stupid.if this was in his office for him and his staff then fair enough,but on display in the changing rooms i think is worrying.

It's what's called realistic target setting for players - if Wilson had point 3 points against every game it wouldn't be a realistic target. If he put 0 against every game you'd be moaning.  

What it shows is Wilson's desire to achieve survival and the players to measure themselves against the managers expectation - clearly they would have got a bollocking for the carlisle result as it was well below expectation.

Putting / against brighton and huddersfield shows that these are opportunities to pull the dropped points from an unexpected result and gives the players motivation to prove they can beat the managers predictions and also that the carlisle result doesn't mean we're guaranteed to go down...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:08:13 by triseros » Logged
DA15red

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 16:11:26 »

or "they're the hardest games let's concentrate on the easier ones and worry about them when we get there".

There's enough to be having ago at Wilson about, but I think an out of context picture of a whiteboard is probably taking it a bit far.

Maybe he'd been asking the squad what there targets were, where they were confident that they could pick up points? Classic managerial bollocks in any line of work that isn't it? - Getting a team to set and invest in their own targets.

I'm more interested in what the mysterious text in the top left hand corner says.

Apparently that is some stuff that Lee Peacock left on the board when he left. Wishing squad well etc. that they have left up.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 18:50:53 »

Just had a look at the same thread I did from two seasons ago during our Malpas/Wilsons season

This is how we looked with 14 games left to play

Swindon Town
Played 32 points 33 - 19 points needed from 42 points left available.
Currently: 1.03 PPG - Need: 1.36 PPG

So, 2 seasons ago we were 2 points better off than we are this season.

In our final 14 games we -

Won 5 - Southend, Hereford, Northampton, Brighton, Bristol Rovers

Drew 5 - Cheltenham, Franchise, Crewe, Carlisle, Peterborough

Lost 4 - Colchester, Leeds, Yeovil, Leyton Orient

53 points!

So this season we need to be looking at 6 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats roughly from our remaining 14 games.

Southampton (a)
Walsall (h)
Plymouth (a)
Dagenham & Redbridge (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Brighton (a)
Exeter (a)
Hartlepool (h)
Brentford (a)
Franchise (h)
Notts County (h)
Sheffield Wednesday (a)
Oldham (h)
Tranmere (a)

Cant see it myself, whilst I think our squad and most of our team is better than, that of 2 seasons ago the gulf in class upfront is HUGE.

In truth I never felt in trouble that season. Simon Cox was a cut above anything else in that division and I always believed that a team with Simon Cox upfront (with help from Paynter of course) was always going to get enough goals to get enough points to survive. The Northampton 4-3 being case in point.

Cox scored 12 goals in the final 14 games that season. Can you see any of our striker hitting 12? can you see all our strikers put together hitting 12? can you even see the whole team hitting 12 more goals this season?

Our whole team has actually only scored 13 goals in our last 14 games and whats his name hit 4 of them!!
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 18:58:11 »

i really think Obika could bag 10. Hopefully.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 19:00:51 »

We really are fucked!
flammableBen

« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 19:02:39 »

When we play Exeter in March (or whenever its been rearranged to), Jamie Cureton will have still scored more goals in his career than our entire squad - including substitutes - put together.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 19:40:00 »

I think that the points on the sheet confirm how absolutely delusional manager and employees are - 2 defeats until the end of the season. JPM on today about how unlucky they have been. Get fucking real we're not unlucky we can't defend and we can't score and that toxic mix means you're fucked more often than not - particularly when you throw in a midfield that neither helps the defence or the forwards. Constantly making bad decisions does not make you unlucky - it makes you fucking bad. We are there for the taking, its whether the opposition are good enough on the day to do so and most of them appear to be.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 19:50:03 »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Do we seriously believe that Danny Wilson is the only manager in the Football League who does this? People are getting in an awful tizz over this.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:19:42 »

Plymouth are one down to Brighton and Huddersfield are winning at Dagenham.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:40:02 »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Do we seriously believe that Danny Wilson is the only manager in the Football League who does this? People are getting in an awful tizz over this.
No i imagine alot of managers say to the players i don't think you are good enough to get any points from the next game.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:40:47 »

Just had a look at the same thread I did from two seasons ago during our Malpas/Wilsons season

This is how we looked with 14 games left to play

Swindon Town
Played 32 points 33 - 19 points needed from 42 points left available.
Currently: 1.03 PPG - Need: 1.36 PPG

So, 2 seasons ago we were 2 points better off than we are this season.

In our final 14 games we -

Won 5 - Southend, Hereford, Northampton, Brighton, Bristol Rovers

Drew 5 - Cheltenham, Franchise, Crewe, Carlisle, Peterborough

Lost 4 - Colchester, Leeds, Yeovil, Leyton Orient

53 points!

So this season we need to be looking at 6 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats roughly from our remaining 14 games.

Southampton (a)
Walsall (h)
Plymouth (a)
Dagenham & Redbridge (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Brighton (a)
Exeter (a)
Hartlepool (h)
Brentford (a)
Franchise (h)
Notts County (h)
Sheffield Wednesday (a)
Oldham (h)
Tranmere (a)

Cant see it myself, whilst I think our squad and most of our team is better than, that of 2 seasons ago the gulf in class upfront is HUGE.

In truth I never felt in trouble that season. Simon Cox was a cut above anything else in that division and I always believed that a team with Simon Cox upfront (with help from Paynter of course) was always going to get enough goals to get enough points to survive. The Northampton 4-3 being case in point.

Cox scored 12 goals in the final 14 games that season. Can you see any of our striker hitting 12? can you see all our strikers put together hitting 12? can you even see the whole team hitting 12 more goals this season?

Our whole team has actually only scored 13 goals in our last 14 games and whats his name hit 4 of them!!

Do you remember Colchester away that season, we lost 3-2, it was the middle of March and were 4 points adrift of safety.

I honestly thought we were gone.

I feel more confident this time.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:43:46 »

No i imagine alot of managers say to the players i don't think you are good enough to get any points from the next game.

When it rains, it pours eh DRS Wink
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 20:56:35 »

Do you remember Colchester away that season, we lost 3-2, it was the middle of March and were 4 points adrift of safety.

I honestly thought we were gone.

I feel more confident this time.

Like I said, who is going to get the goals this season?

mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 21:02:27 »

Like I said, who is going to get the goals this season?

I don't disagree with that point, Cox was the main reason we stayed up that year, but overall that team was dreadful.

Hopefully Benyon and Obika will get the goals.

We lost only 2 of our last 10 games that year, we have to go on the same kind of run again and with the games we have I honestly think we can.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: