Pages: 1 ... 1581 1582 1583 [1584] 1585 1586 1587 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4518328 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23745 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 14:55:27 »

And now with added dolphins!

https://twitter.com/dodo/status/1275413297580433409
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23746 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 17:17:37 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53141755
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #23747 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 01:58:52 »

Well that was rather eventful. Certainly the right thing was done. With talk of echo chambers we must be careful that the TEF doesn't become one too. I fully defend someone's right to free speech but as BO mentioned there is still a line of acceptance. A line that most of us would agree is one too far. In this instance LL went beyond that line.

For some context, about 4 years ago I was banned from Facebook for 48hrs for using the term Yid in a sentence. Now in the circumstance context possibly should have been used. I'm well aware that the term is anti-semitic when used a certain way. My comment was referring to a Spurs Fans page, talking about all the Spurs players we had been signing at the time and my comment, (amongst many with similar replies and comments) replying to a Spurs Fan was along the line of "...wow, we're fast becoming Yid Reserves." Essentially, Tottenham Reserves is the correct term I should have said in hindsight. Even the replies were the usual "Yeah, hope they do well for you" and so on.

It was naive and although my comment was genuinely meant with zero malice or hatred towards a name that many Spurs fans call themselves, I certainly recognise that even without malice, the term of course is a very sensitive one.

It does open up discussion about certain words and accepted usage. In this case we could say, why is the word "Yiddish" more or less globally acceptable but the other Y word not? Which makes some interesting reading if you look at the history and global use of the term "Negro". This version of the N word was deemed less offensive to black people than the word Black for some time and today some older generation of black people still prefer to have this term used. The term is also considered one of affection with zero derogatory connotation or any reference to ones colour of skin, in various countries; particularly some South American and South East Asian countries.

It's certainly important we learn context and educate ourselves surrounding not only historical and modern uses but also the global uses too. It might make us understand a circumstance a little better however this is increasingly difficult on Social Media platforms, where detection of the tone used is not so easy for the average user. For the most part though, we can pretty much all identify when someone is being clearly racist and this is definitely not acceptable. To be racist is one thing but to also not recognise it once called out is another. Many can be guilty of "generational" and unfortunately "closeted" uses of certain derogatory terms and we must all be bloody better at removing these former "socially accepted terms" from our own vocabulary but when it isn't even recognised as such that is part of a much larger and deep rooted problem.

*****It's always difficult to ensure that when using a word (for purposes of discussion) that is deemed derogatory or racist in our society, that people understand that I am purely talking about the words or terms and their uses. I am in no way advocating the use of the words casually or as part of any of my vocabulary on a day to day basis. This could never be further from the truth and I'm certain that most on the TEF can distinguish the difference here*****

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23748 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 10:00:03 »

Put more eloquently than I ever could.

https://twitter.com/bbc5live/status/1275474171053707264?s=20
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #23749 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 10:10:36 »

I didn't notice all the drama beforehand and all I'd seen recently in the thread was the goat ramming the cameraman in the balls.

If you're going to go down that road, the following should all be banned...

Afro ...racist

Part of the "anti-PC" brigade, are we?

Let's take your first example. How do believe it is racist?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23750 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 10:46:44 »

I see the Telegraph has gone full Fox News today.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #23751 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 10:50:46 »

Absolutely bang on. The 'what-about-ism' from some corners on this and similar subjects has been ridiculous of late. I've seen multiple posts and comments asking where the minutes silence or protests for 'insert terror attack victim or similar here', when those people were killed/harmed by people who *weren't* Police or people in a position of power. Very sad, of course it is, but it's deliberately misunderstanding the cause of the ongoing protests to try and lessen their impact, or worse, it's just plain ignorance.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23752 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 11:10:50 »

I see the Telegraph has gone full Fox News today.
Today? They've been there for the past 4 years. What have they done specifically today? (CBA to look)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23753 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 12:21:57 »

Today? They've been there for the past 4 years. What have they done specifically today? (CBA to look)

Tebbit running with the old Hitler was far left argument and Allison Pearson writing a piece attempting to debunk the suggestion that there is racism in the UK,  in which she seems genuinely amazed that black people are, wait for it, actually human beings.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23754 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 13:04:09 »

Tebbit running with the old Hitler was far left argument and Allison Pearson writing a piece attempting to debunk the suggestion that there is racism in the UK,  in which she seems genuinely amazed that black people are, wait for it, actually human beings.
Jesus. Said it before and I'll say it again, the decline of the Telegraph under the Barclay brothers is extremely sad. It used to be an decent newspaper, always committed to actual journalism. These days it's essentially posh Breitbart
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23755 on: Thursday, June 25, 2020, 13:53:21 »

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #23756 on: Thursday, June 25, 2020, 14:26:35 »

https://twitter.com/theandydurrant/status/1275887398543593472?s=20
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #23757 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 07:46:57 »

Just done our good deed for the day.

Found our Greek neighbour collapsed outside the house after inhaling fumes from God knows what she was cleaning the bathroom with. Struggling to breathe and barely conscious. Whipped her off to hospital. Hope she’s OK.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23758 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 07:57:22 »

Just done our good deed for the day.

Found our Greek neighbour collapsed outside the house after inhaling fumes from God knows what she was cleaning the bathroom with. Struggling to breathe and barely conscious. Whipped her off to hospital. Hope she’s OK.

Well done.  Reminds me of an old mate, who lived on his own, same sort of thing happened and he was out for a long time before he came back round. Apparently some bathroom cleaning fluids conmtain micro particles of metal, these had punctured his lung.  Moral of story be careful when cleaning te bathroom to ventilate, or better still get the missus or a cleaner to do it.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #23759 on: Sunday, June 28, 2020, 08:03:06 »

Dont mix the chemicals either!
Pages: 1 ... 1581 1582 1583 [1584] 1585 1586 1587 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: