Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 1452 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4518007 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21720 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 09:55:55 »

The Burton keeper wasting time once they went 8 down.
Pride I guess, not wanting double figures.

I rememember when we beat Bury 8-0.... it was 7 after 70 mins, so they started time wasting, the method best employed by Liverpool at the time, was to keep passing it back to the keeper who would pick it up, roll it to the full back who'd knock it to the centre half who'd pass it back to the keeper... repeat...etc. It eventually got the law change.

Still managed 1 more though before the end. That side had a demolitioin job in them... we put 6 on Lincoln season before, can't see it happening on Saturday.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21721 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 10:03:39 »

I rememember when we beat Bury 8-0.... it was 7 after 70 mins, so they started time wasting, the method best employed by Liverpool at the time, was to keep passing it back to the keeper who would pick it up, roll it to the full back who'd knock it to the centre half who'd pass it back to the keeper... repeat...etc. It eventually got the law change.

Still managed 1 more though before the end. That side had a demolitioin job in them... we put 6 on Lincoln season before, can't see it happening on Saturday.
John Forrest in goal for Bury had always had a great record against us until that game, he had an off day but we were on fire.

The Lincoln game was my first Town match where we scored more than 4, my first ever Swindon rout of an opposition.

They had Peter Grotier on goal who played in the top division for West Ham who looked like Dave Lee Travis.

It was a day of awful weather, windy and rain all game with puddles all over the pitch including one in the goalmouth at the Stratton Bank and we scored 6 but had several shots stop right on the goal line in the puddle so that could easily have been 8 or 9 if the pitch had better drainage.

Mind you Lincoln were an awful team and rock bottom at the time.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 10:06:44 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21722 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 10:15:04 »

John Forrest in goal for Bury had always had a great record against us until that game, he had an off day but we were on fire.

The Lincoln game was my first Town match where we scored more than 4, my first ever Swindon rout of an opposition.

They had Peter Grotier on goal who played in the top division for West Ham who looked like Dave Lee Travis.

It was a day of awful weather, windy and rain all game with puddles all over the pitch including one in the goalmouth at the Stratton Bank and we scored 6 but had several shots stop right on the goal line in the puddle so that could easily have been 8 or 9 if the pitch had better drainage.

Mind you Lincoln were an awful team and rock bottom at the time.

Great recall  Smiley  the days when the goalmouth would get a decent puddle, to stop the ball going over the line.

On BT, they've got some old Big Match and MotD's from that sort of era or even before, which I occasionally watch. The most striking difference to now is the quality of the pitches, which were terrible not just at the CG, but even the top flight.  I'm not altogether sure why that should have been the case?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21723 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 10:35:31 »

The pitches were the great leveller back then, bigger teams couldn't pressure side with passing so the lower league sides in the cup etc would often have an advantage with their more "direct" style of play, often in the FA cup 3rd or 4th round as after then the pitches got better so the better sides could play more football.

Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford shows that up well.

The pitch probably has cost Swindon a few goals at the exposed Stratton Bank when it rains over the years, the old Shirvenham Road stand used to get us a fair few postponements where it wouldn't protect the pitch when it started freezing.

I do miss the old football days often but I certainly don't miss the pitches!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21724 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 10:45:54 »

The pitches were the great leveller back then, bigger teams couldn't pressure side with passing so the lower league sides in the cup etc would often have an advantage with their more "direct" style of play, often in the FA cup 3rd or 4th round as after then the pitches got better so the better sides could play more football.

Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford shows that up well.

The pitch probably has cost Swindon a few goals at the exposed Stratton Bank when it rains over the years, the old Shirvenham Road stand used to get us a fair few postponements where it wouldn't protect the pitch when it started freezing.

I do miss the old football days often but I certainly don't miss the pitches!

Certainly if a lower league side got a higher up side, it was often said the pitch woulld be a leveller, but that doesn't explain why the top sides often also had bad pitches. The CG was simply because it was built on thick clay, the presence of Marsh Farm just over the road, gave it away, when it rained the water went nowhere. The CG was still terrible in the Carson era, when at some point and it may have been the Fitton era some sort of proper drainage was built in.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21725 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 18:18:04 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17349491.man-wanted-for-indecent-exposure-on-bus-in-swindon/

Bus Wanker!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #21726 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 19:17:29 »

I know it’s the Adver, but do you think they actually worded this on purpose

‘A 17-year-old girl reported that a man sitting in the upstairs rear of the bus was masturbating before he got off at the Tesco in Ocotal Way.’
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #21727 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 19:28:15 »

I know it’s the Adver, but do you think they actually worded this on purpose

‘A 17-year-old girl reported that a man sitting in the upstairs rear of the bus was masturbating before he got off at the Tesco in Ocotal Way.’

You missed this gem in the excitement of it too!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #21728 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 19:42:01 »

Might be my imagination, but the bloke in the mugshot photo looks a bit like Richie Wellens to me.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #21729 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 12:03:34 »

Might be my imagination, but the bloke in the mugshot photo looks a bit like Richie Wellens to me.

Was just thinking this..........
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21730 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:00:09 »

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2019/01/club-statement-3?__twitter_impression=true

soapy tit wank. Dirty Leeds.

But surely not illegal (assuming he was on public property)
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #21731 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:20:01 »

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/amp/news/2019/01/club-statement-3?__twitter_impression=true

soapy tit wank. Dirty Leeds.

But surely not illegal (assuming he was on public property)

Haven't read but if it was up at Moor Farm (Derby's Training Fac.), while there are many "hidden" pitches. There are plenty of locations all around the site that you can see the teams training on. Only if the "spy" was on the site without access granted, would he be trespassing. Anywhere else is fair game. There's not a lot Derby can do except...

"Build the wall!"  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #21732 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 16:35:14 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17351982.swindon-police-hunt-man-suspected-of-masturbating-in-brunel-shopping-centre-toilets/

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #21733 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 16:56:54 »

Shaggy: Yoiks Scoobs, he's at it again! It's the Wanking Phantom - run!!

Scooby Doo: Shaggyy!!

*Run on spot for 30 seconds then bump into the mysterious masturbater, pinning to the floor*

Wanking Phantom: Grr! and I would have (panting) gotten away with it too (still panting) if it weren't for those meddling kids!!

0.34 seconds.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #21734 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 17:22:30 »

The way beer tastes so much better when it's hard-earned.
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 1452 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: