Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 1376 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4519201 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20580 on: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 11:09:27 »

I see bids are in for redeveloping The Cricketers
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #20581 on: Saturday, May 5, 2018, 14:43:27 »

Surely it doesn't take too much actual critical thought to realise it's not the shadow of the Earth that causes the half moon line.

I know. I did explain to him it was to do with light and the distance the moon had travelled around the Earth. Told him to turn the lights off and use a tennis ball and a torch for a visual representation. I have no idea where he put the torch though?!  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #20582 on: Sunday, May 6, 2018, 20:24:00 »

Graham Mac. yeah, he went when they merged BBC Wilts and BBC Swindon breakfast shows.

gave up on BBC Wilts totally after that, commentary aside

He currently resides on the breakfast show on Bob FM here in North Hertfordshire.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #20583 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 07:30:00 »

I know. I did explain to him it was to do with light and the distance the moon had travelled around the Earth. Told him to turn the lights off and use a tennis ball and a torch for a visual representation. I have no idea where he put the torch though?!  Hmmm

The night/day line on the Moon has nothing to do with the Earth.
Flashheart

« Reply #20584 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 07:51:24 »

It only depends on how the moon is located relative to the sun. If the sun is on one side, then only that side would get lit leaving the rest in relative darkness. Simples.

Flerfers are ace. One of their latest 'arguments' is that Australia doesn't exist. Apparently, it's been completely fabricated by NASA and/or Satan to make us believe the world isn't flat.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20585 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 09:14:03 »

but, but, where did I go on honeymoon then?
Flashheart

« Reply #20586 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 09:56:56 »

Europe. The plane really just flew around in big circles.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20587 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 10:31:47 »

It only depends on how the moon is located relative to the sun. If the sun is on one side, then only that side would get lit leaving the rest in relative darkness. Simples.

Flerfers are ace. One of their latest 'arguments' is that Australia doesn't exist. Apparently, it's been completely fabricated by NASA and/or Satan to make us believe the world isn't flat.

There was an interesting debate about the death of democracy on the radio this morning. Social media are responsible for bringing so many lonely conspiracy theorists out of the woodwork, and giving these new-found communities the confidence to speak up for themselves. This is what true democracy looks like, when public discourse is no longer moderated by the "liberal elite": just so much noise. Healthy questioning of established viewpoints has been replaced by the unfiltered equivalency of whichever truths fit your mindset.

Extreme minorities like flerfers (thx FH) are probably only a bit more numerous than they ever were, but they're much more visible. More concerning is how the internet has given confidence to climate change deniers, mysogynists and racists. This is what Stephen Hawking meant when he said:  "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20588 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 10:39:54 »

Quote from: Flashheart
Europe. The plane really just flew around in big circles.

bastards.
Flashheart

« Reply #20589 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:08:14 »

There was an interesting debate about the death of democracy on the radio this morning. Social media are responsible for bringing so many lonely conspiracy theorists out of the woodwork, and giving these new-found communities the confidence to speak up for themselves. This is what true democracy looks like, when public discourse is no longer moderated by the "liberal elite": just so much noise. Healthy questioning of established viewpoints has been replaced by the unfiltered equivalency of whichever truths fit your mindset.

Extreme minorities like flerfers (thx FH) are probably only a bit more numerous than they ever were, but they're much more visible. More concerning is how the internet has given confidence to climate change deniers, mysogynists and racists. This is what Stephen Hawking meant when he said:  "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

It can be dangerous. Climate change deniers impede our ability to deal with the matter, as evidenced by some fat orange cunt in the White House. You also have the anti-vax movement. That shit's very dangerous indeed. Kids have literally suffered, even died, as a result.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #20590 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:22:52 »

It can be dangerous. Climate change deniers impede our ability to deal with the matter, as evidenced by some fat orange cunt in the White House. You also have the anti-vax movement. That shit's very dangerous indeed. Kids have literally suffered, even died, as a result.

Yep. Trump's enablers worked out that in the social media age, you don't need a majority to control the discourse. This isn't the death of democracy, it's its logical conclusion.

Maybe anti-vaxers are just a new form of natural selection.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #20591 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:26:04 »

Unfortunately, though, the anti-vax movement also affects the kids of pro-vaxers.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #20592 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:55:10 »

I'm not convinced about climate change. I know this makes me a very bad man and moreso by being pro Brexit. A double call me a cunt whammy.
Flashheart

« Reply #20593 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 12:00:03 »

It's a simple, objective fact that the world is warming. Regardless of whether or not people accept it. The scientific community (people that actually know their onions), agree overwhelmingly that it is caused by man's influence on the planet. Regardless of the cause, it is happening. Again, that is a fact. Not opinion, but fact.

The effects of it are debatable to a degree but few, if any, forecasts are good.
Flashheart

« Reply #20594 on: Monday, May 7, 2018, 13:18:43 »

Back to shadows from sun:

Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 1376 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: