Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 1378 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4511069 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20610 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:14:11 »

That SBC have passed the planning application for a new Science Museum facility up at Wroughton. Should be up and running by 2020, and in theory the public will get more access to the artefacts. There's some proper amazing stuff in the collection.

Is that Tory run Swindon Council who only ever do corrupt things?  Hmmm
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #20611 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:17:02 »

That SBC have passed the planning application for a new Science Museum facility up at Wroughton. Should be up and running by 2020, and in theory the public will get more access to the artefacts. There's some proper amazing stuff in the collection.
This is excellent news, I have never yet visited the Science Museum overflow site and would love to see whats actually inside those massive storage facilites.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #20612 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:20:52 »

Karma is a wonderful thing. Caught a bit of Who Wants to be a Millionnaire last night.

Young fella on who lost a leg in an accident. The question for £125,000 came up.

'Which Scottish loch has a ruin of a castle on its shoreline'

The fella smiled as he said that was where he had the accident that cost him his leg

Loch Ness
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #20613 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:35:58 »

Iirc the Science Museum applied for Lottery Money to extend/update the buildings but were turned down. The artists impression of the new building looks impressive but I wonder where the money is now coming from?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20614 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 10:39:27 »

This is excellent news, I have never yet visited the Science Museum overflow site and would love to see whats actually inside those massive storage facilites.

There used to be a couple of annual open days, when local groups would join in, you know the sort of thing steam engine enthusiasts, Morris Minor devotees.

It was rather wonderful... it seemed to stop a few years back because of H and S fears about the hangars.

My favourites.... the Comet.  What a plane, world's first commercial jet, but in classic Brit style, a dodgy safety record, so enabling the Yanks to take the market.

The first hovercraft.... an Antarctic sno cat.  Bits of our nuclear missile delivery system Blue Steel, alog with a Polaris missile.  A fine collection of vintage bikes.... my particular fave being a folding bike, which paratroops used.

No mistake, this is a world class collection.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #20615 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 11:05:58 »

Yes I saw in the past adverts for open days often on Bank Holidays but they never coincided with when I was in Swindon for a visit unfortunately, they hardly ever opened them 20 years ago or so when I lived in Swindon so have no managed to see inside...so far, although I have read a few articles about some things they have stored there and its a shame to keep them away from the public.

On another point I see that Swindon Museum has failed to get itself a heritage lottery fund payment of near £13m unfortunately. Swindon museum itself is a poor example for such a large town and deserves a better venue.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20616 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 11:27:54 »

Yes I saw in the past adverts for open days often on Bank Holidays but they never coincided with when I was in Swindon for a visit unfortunately, they hardly ever opened them 20 years ago or so when I lived in Swindon so have no managed to see inside...so far, although I have read a few articles about some things they have stored there and its a shame to keep them away from the public.

On another point I see that Swindon Museum has failed to get itself a heritage lottery fund payment of near £13m unfortunately. Swindon museum itself is a poor example for such a large town and deserves a better venue.

I posted about this t'other day, but I was happy with that decision. The present museum and art gallery, is small but it does a good job. 

Particularly the Art gallery... I know people hope that the new thing might have had a similar impact on Swindon as the Guggenheim in Bilbao, but I'm far from convinced the majority of Swindonians want greater exposure to essentially 20th Century art.

It's rather like Jimmy Bomford included some Francis Bacon in his gift to the town, but later withdrew them, due to the criticism he received.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #20617 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 11:29:04 »

Went to an open day there years ago when my girls were very young. Had a great day. Would be great if they can get this up and running.
The Swindon Museum is an embarrassment and would be better off in the Mechanics spilling over into the old Railway Museum if needed
As for the Art Collection, not sure what the point is if the public can't see it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20618 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 11:43:57 »

Is Swindon Museum the place in old town, if so we used to go there when I was a kid 30 years ago and it was even dated then.....

I always preferred the Railway Museum then, but as we only tended to be in Swindon to go to the dentist on Bath Road my old man could rarely be arsed to move the car!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20619 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 12:00:19 »

Went to an open day there years ago when my girls were very young. Had a great day. Would be great if they can get this up and running.
The Swindon Museum is an embarrassment and would be better off in the Mechanics spilling over into the old Railway Museum if needed
As for the Art Collection, not sure what the point is if the public can't see it.

The public can see it. Admittedly not all at once, but showing different bits onn a rolling programme, does get a chance to show everything over a time period. Further it's free.

Personally, after about 20 mins I've had enough in a decent gallery, I can't take it all in.  So for me it's much better to dip in regularly.

Back in the halcyon days of Labour run SBC, it was generally considered the best way to get art to the masses wasn't by galleries, but rather public art.  So SBC commissioned works around the town.  It's particularly noticeable in 80's West Swindon, where there are still some every fine pieces.  However, people moan, a classic example being the Great Blondini's statue in the town centre... for many art is a waste of money, books are for burning etc. The dear old Blondinis now relegated to a Gorse Hill park.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #20620 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 17:03:58 »

and they put stuff up in the Beehive, I was interviewed by points West at a late lunch appointment and when the missus asked me had I been to the pub at lunchtime, I , of course denied it, she replied that she'd recorded my interview and I was welcome to watch it ---- derrrrrrrr!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20621 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 17:12:57 »

and they put stuff up in the Beehive, I was interviewed by points West at a late lunch appointment and when the missus asked me had I been to the pub at lunchtime, I , of course denied it, she replied that she'd recorded my interview and I was welcome to watch it ---- derrrrrrrr!!!

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #20622 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 20:34:53 »

Karma is a wonderful thing. Caught a bit of Who Wants to be a Millionnaire last night.

Young fella on who lost a leg in an accident. The question for £125,000 came up.

'Which Scottish loch has a ruin of a castle on its shoreline'

The fella smiled as he said that was where he had the accident that cost him his leg

Loch Ness

There’s a video on YouTube of a dude absolutely killing it on WWTBAM in America . He goes to the $1,000,000 question and asks to use his final lifeline. He uses phone a friend to phone his dad. His dad answers and the guys jus casually says. “Hey dad, I don’t really need your help, I just wanted to let you know that I’m about to win a million dollars” and proceeds give the correct answer. What a guy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20623 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 20:38:42 »

There’s a video on YouTube of a dude absolutely killing it on WWTBAM in America . He goes to the $1,000,000 question and asks to use his final lifeline. He uses phone a friend to phone his dad. His dad answers and the guys jus casually says. “Hey dad, I don’t really need your help, I just wanted to let you know that I’m about to win a million dollars” and proceeds give the correct answer. What a guy.

That is indeed the stuff of quizzing legend....
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #20624 on: Friday, May 11, 2018, 21:13:23 »

That is indeed the stuff of quizzing legend....

...and then you have Major Charles Ingram. Remember him? *Cough*

Pages: 1 ... 1372 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 1378 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: