Pages: 1 ... 1317 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 1323 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4511066 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19785 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 13:05:23 »

Thamesdown Drive and North and West Swindon on the other hand, they can suck my balls on that. It is a massive clusterfuck.

Can't work out if you're saying they should build the road (that was shown on plans for North Swindon 25+ yrs ago) or that they shouldn't.  It's long overdue, in my view.

There's a lot of press at the moment about the UK's productivity gap - and how per hour worked, we generate far less income than other economies such as France, Germany and the US.  I'm fairly sure that one of he contributing factors is the lack of capacity in our transport network - particularly on the roads.  Population is rising relentlessly, while the road network is basically the same as it was when most of us were kids.  I'm not advocating that we concrete over everything without a second thought, but some expansion is overdue, surely.

It feels to me that successive governments have used environmental concerns as a fig leaf for doing f##k all.  In most other European countries, roads such as the A303 & A34 would be built to motorway standard.  And junctions like the Air Balloon, at which routine congestion is the norm, would not have been left as they are for as long.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19786 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 13:31:11 »

It feels to me that successive governments have used environmental concerns as a fig leaf for doing f##k all.  In most other European countries, roads such as the A303 & A34 would be built to motorway standard.  And junctions like the Air Balloon, at which routine congestion is the norm, would not have been left as they are for as long.

Its more the truth that governments do fuck all about infrastructure as all those in the vicinity of it moan like hell about it, whilst in the next breath demanding that something be done, its the same with the housing shortage, everyone moans that not enough houses are being built, until someone applies to build houses near them and then they moan every time that its the wrong place.

Look at HS2 (which incidentally I think is entirely the wrong way of addressing the issue), how long has that dragged on, likewise Heathrow T5 longest planning inquiry ever and took 8 years from submission to granting of PP and we will have exactly the same with the 2nd runway.

Ultimately infrastructure upsets people and upset people don't vote for governments QED.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19787 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 14:22:53 »

Can't work out if you're saying they should build the road (that was shown on plans for North Swindon 25+ yrs ago) or that they shouldn't.  It's long overdue, in my view.

I'm saying the link to the great western way should have been built before saying yes to building on every bit of land between the 419 and the bottom of TD.

To have Akers way/Mead way as a main route into/out of town is just asking for trouble.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19788 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 14:31:29 »

I'm saying the link to the great western way should have been built before saying yes to building on every bit of land between the 419 and the bottom of TD.

To have Akers way/Mead way as a main route into/out of town is just asking for trouble.

...in which case I agree with you completely.

That piece of road should have gone in at the same time as the first houses.  The Council let the developers off the hook at the time (mid-1990s) and everyone in the locality has been paying the price since.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #19789 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 14:48:33 »

I'm pretty sure the Council had a grant to build an extension of Thamesdown Drive to Barnfield to stop that from happening. Never happened. They talked about it a few years ago again.. But since then they've built more houses in the way!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19790 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 15:01:24 »

I'm fairly sure that the route still exists.  The main difference between the original 1990s plans and the more recent plans is that the original road would have terminated at Bruce Street Bridges; while the more recent, revised plans have it ducking under the Swindon-Gloucester railway and terminating a little further up the Great Western Way at Barnfield.  No houses on the route that I know of.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #19791 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 15:15:48 »

I'm sure the big plan is to have a national speed limit of 20mph on all roads. It's getting there  Smiley
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #19792 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 15:25:00 »

Coming back to the UK in April, two things that related to roads really struck me.  The driving is far more aggressive than I remembered when being part of it! and the roads are small and show the net result of not being planned.  It always seemed odd to me when living in the UK, but the grid system really does work quite well, but it also works well because of the size of the roads and the supporting main roads in the burbs.  You still get winding roads in the subdivisions here, but they are fed by large dual carriageways everywhere.  Also, much like here, I think the UK could do worse than enabling cars to turn left on red lights.  The turning right on red lark is a godsend here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19793 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 16:58:04 »

Coming back to the UK in April, two things that related to roads really struck me.  The driving is far more aggressive than I remembered when being part of it! and the roads are small and show the net result of not being planned. 

Many of our roads were planned.... so for example today I went to Marlborough on the A345, a nice 2000 year old road planned  to link Cunetio to Durocornovium. It still works perfectly well.  Despite this some years back there was a proposal to dual it through Savernake Forest, which caused a bit of a stink, and was swiftly shelved.   Really good idea, hack down a medieval wood, in order to possibly get 5 minutes on a car journey.

Essentially, our island is small and increasingly overcrowded, especially in the south, where there are way too many cars. 

The good people of Marlborough will be able to enjoy a car free afternoon and evening tomorrow in the High Street as the second of the 2 Mop fairs is happening.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #19794 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:32:00 »

Feel sorry for Chile mind.

As long as Colombia beat Peru, Chile would take the play off space. 15 minutes to go and Peru have a INDIRECT free kick. Neither team seemed to be sure of the rules so Peru took a shot on goal. Colombia's keeper (Ospina) dives and gets a finger to the ball but not enough to stop it going into the net.
Had Ospina not touched the ball the goal would not have stood.
I remember this happening to us in 03/04 at Plymouth. Mickey Evans' in-direct free kick was going in. Rhys Evans got the slightest touch on it so it counted. Would have been disallowed if he'd left it.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #19795 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 17:59:43 »

Coming back to the UK in April, two things that related to roads really struck me.  The driving is far more aggressive than I remembered when being part of it! and the roads are small and show the net result of not being planned.  It always seemed odd to me when living in the UK, but the grid system really does work quite well, but it also works well because of the size of the roads and the supporting main roads in the burbs.  You still get winding roads in the subdivisions here, but they are fed by large dual carriageways everywhere.  Also, much like here, I think the UK could do worse than enabling cars to turn left on red lights.  The turning right on red lark is a godsend here.
MK is in the UK, you know.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #19796 on: Friday, October 13, 2017, 22:41:33 »

Its more the truth that governments do fuck all about infrastructure as all those in the vicinity of it moan like hell about it, whilst in the next breath demanding that something be done, its the same with the housing shortage, everyone moans that not enough houses are being built, until someone applies to build houses near them and then they moan every time that its the wrong place.

Look at HS2 (which incidentally I think is entirely the wrong way of addressing the issue), how long has that dragged on, likewise Heathrow T5 longest planning inquiry ever and took 8 years from submission to granting of PP and we will have exactly the same with the 2nd runway.

Ultimately infrastructure upsets people and upset people don't vote for governments QED.

Yup, well put
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #19797 on: Monday, October 16, 2017, 13:08:41 »

Got a new tax code through the post and noticed i'm still being taxed for a company car i havent had for 3 years.
Quick call to HMRC, they admit their cock up and Merry Christmas to me :-)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19798 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:24:50 »

With his dual professions he must really get off on people calling him a cunt!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Ross_(Scottish_politician)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19799 on: Thursday, October 19, 2017, 09:40:10 »

With his dual professions he must really get off on people calling him a cunt!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Ross_(Scottish_politician)

And in his spare time he's a amateur estate agent, presumably.
Pages: 1 ... 1317 1318 1319 [1320] 1321 1322 1323 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: