Pages: 1 ... 2137 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 2143 ... 2653   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5036065 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #32085 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 14:24:01 »

We didn't make a big deal out of sleep times when our kids were very young(toddlers) and just let them nod off when they got tired. As they got older(pre school/school age) then it became more structured. Never had a problem with either of them. Not sure if that is helpful to you but it worked fine for us.

We are not very routine like either to be honest. General rule of thumb is if he hasn’t napped by lunch time then try and get him down after lunch and don’t let him sleep any later than 3pm. Anything else is fine

The other Sunday we got up at 08:30am and went out and he fell asleep in the car 09:30-10:10. Early for a nap but ultimately fine.

It’s less the time he has the nap, more so my parents reluctance to *try* and put him down instead relying on taking him out for walk. That option will not *always* be viable and plus if they ever were to have him over night (which selfishly would be nice) then walking him off to sleep at bed time is a complete non starter
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32086 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 14:24:23 »

Having spent a lot of time on the internet, I think it's a good thing that certain people disagree with you. It means you're doing something right.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm all for disagreements. It's healthy and show a difference of character, thought and mindset to others. Even when you may share a lot of similar traits. Would never stop someone from having an opinion, especially if it has some basis to question or counter another opinion.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #32087 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 14:32:48 »

It’s less the time he has the nap, more so my parents reluctance to *try* and put him down instead relying on taking him out for walk. That option will not *always* be viable and plus if they ever were to have him over night (which selfishly would be nice) then walking him off to sleep at bed time is a complete non starter

I know a fair few people who instead of using the "walk to sleep" routine will opt for taking the little one out in the car at night and driving until they fall asleep. Could be bollocks but apparently the darker environment and low hum of an engine psychologically puts a child (even adults too) into a safety/comfort zone akin to the womb. Don't quote me though.

Think Aud is pretty good in terms of approaching the parents with a "to do" list.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #32088 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 14:36:19 »

I know a fair few people who instead of using the "walk to sleep" routine will opt for taking the little one out in the car at night and driving until they fall asleep. Could be bollocks but apparently the darker environment and low hum of an engine psychologically puts a child (even adults too) into a safety/comfort zone akin to the womb. Don't quote me though.

Think Aud is pretty good in terms of approaching the parents with a "to do" list.

Our carbon footprint for doing this with master LL is enormous. Often fall asleep and the moment the car pulled up outside the house the fucker would wake up.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32089 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 14:38:49 »

We did that with our eldest, worked a charm. With our youngest, even the shortest car journey was like re-enacting the scene from The Omen where they try to take little Damien to be christened. Unsuprisingly it wasn't an effective method of getting him to nod off for a nap. Kids are all very different, it's what works for each one.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #32090 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 15:06:10 »

Bit long winded this so apologies in advance for those who take (waste?) the time to read it.

So, my parent have Dalton (just shy of 18 months) every Wednesday and have been since the Wife’s year of maternity finished in August. On the occasion he hasn’t been able to go to nursery for whatever reason, they have had him. When the Wife And I have conflicting plans, they have him. If we just want a day to ourselves they will have him.

We’ve relied on them a fair bit and they’ve always been there, can’t fault them.

However, they only have him during the day and never over night (in theory fine) as no one else has had him over night either.

My parents however, rely on taking him out for a walk in order to get him to nap, which most of the time is absolutely fine...but...for example they very kindly had him yesterday so the wife and I could have a day to ourselves to celebrate Valentine’s Day, due to the weather they couldn’t take him out for a walk till 3pm. So he napped at 3pm which is waaay too late, made bed time really difficult and his sleep over night bloody poor.

Now he’s a bit older and less reliant on my wife. I can cuddle / rock him off to sleep, nursery can do it on a Monday & Tuesday when he is there. My Mother-in-Law can do it. If she comes round ours in the evening she can / will either help put him to bed or put him to bed.

For purely selfish reasons it would be nice, eventually if we could leave him with my parents or mother in law over night, that’s what we are hoping to work towards.

How can I politely, respectfully but firmly tell my parents they need to start trying to put him down in his travel cot for his naps. They tried once and literally just put him in it - which surprisingly didn’t make him go to sleep.

Naturally I don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth or piss my parents off but feel it’s something they should be trying to do...wife is nagging me about it too

Advice from anyone who managed to read it all?

Could they not just give him this post to read, that will set him off to sleep. Wink

Seriously though is it possibly a generational thing, we were pretty sleep pattern strict when our lass was little which worked really well. As we were not that local to any family we tended to have to do it all ourselves, and whilst my missus family seemed to think we were odd and too regimented its been noted that her sister used a very similar system with her second. However, when they do have her these days now we are more local (which is great) its often the case that things are done like they alwasy did them, so she is much later to bed etc. Think its just generations do things differently.

From our experience total bollocks, our lass would never sleep in the car nor her pushchair, even now its bed or nothing, little (adorable) sod that she is!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #32091 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 15:31:42 »

Bit long winded this so apologies in advance for those who take (waste?) the time to read it.

So, my parent have Dalton (just shy of 18 months) every Wednesday and have been since the Wife’s year of maternity finished in August. On the occasion he hasn’t been able to go to nursery for whatever reason, they have had him. When the Wife And I have conflicting plans, they have him. If we just want a day to ourselves they will have him.

We’ve relied on them a fair bit and they’ve always been there, can’t fault them.

However, they only have him during the day and never over night (in theory fine) as no one else has had him over night either.

My parents however, rely on taking him out for a walk in order to get him to nap, which most of the time is absolutely fine...but...for example they very kindly had him yesterday so the wife and I could have a day to ourselves to celebrate Valentine’s Day, due to the weather they couldn’t take him out for a walk till 3pm. So he napped at 3pm which is waaay too late, made bed time really difficult and his sleep over night bloody poor.

Now he’s a bit older and less reliant on my wife. I can cuddle / rock him off to sleep, nursery can do it on a Monday & Tuesday when he is there. My Mother-in-Law can do it. If she comes round ours in the evening she can / will either help put him to bed or put him to bed.

For purely selfish reasons it would be nice, eventually if we could leave him with my parents or mother in law over night, that’s what we are hoping to work towards.

How can I politely, respectfully but firmly tell my parents they need to start trying to put him down in his travel cot for his naps. They tried once and literally just put him in it - which surprisingly didn’t make him go to sleep.

Naturally I don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth or piss my parents off but feel it’s something they should be trying to do...wife is nagging me about it too

They have Dalton weekly, then?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #32092 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 15:40:14 »

Cheesy
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #32093 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 16:08:15 »

Clap

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #32094 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 16:49:16 »

We have a winner!
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #32095 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 19:49:52 »

I assume you put him for naps in his cot when you have him at home, just say to your parents that you're trying to get him into a routine of only sleeping in a cot, or you're sleep training him and ideally he needs to nap in a cot. As great and as helpful as Grandparents can be, they need to follow your lead.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #32096 on: Monday, February 17, 2020, 22:00:09 »

I assume you put him for naps in his cot when you have him at home, just say to your parents that you're trying to get him into a routine of only sleeping in a cot, or you're sleep training him and ideally he needs to nap in a cot. As great and as helpful as Grandparents can be, they need to follow your lead.

If we are at home he goes in the cot or sometimes he will just fall asleep on the wife and she will leave him there.

If we are out and about, then it’s highly likely he will fall asleep on route be it in the car or on foot.

The difference is, we *know* we *can* get him down in the cot if we need to. Where as my parents won’t deviate from ‘walk him to sleep’ therefore can’t get him down in a cot if they ever needed to...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #32097 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:08:21 »

I had a dream about Swindon Town last night and the TEF popped up in as well.

I need to get out more!
Flashheart

« Reply #32098 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:16:22 »

I wish TEFers would keep out of my dreams as well.

Earlier this week I was on a log flume with Jayo and his family.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32099 on: Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:31:03 »

I wish TEFers would keep out of my dreams as well.

Earlier this week I was on a log flume with Jayo and his family.

Wet and Wild?  Smiley

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/disgusted-mum-finds-human-poo-6363247
Pages: 1 ... 2137 2138 2139 [2140] 2141 2142 2143 ... 2653   Go Up
Print
Jump to: