Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 1557 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5088847 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #23295 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 21:03:00 »

Does Ells work in a prison?

It was pertinent to the discussion and I have a terrible memory, sorry.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #23296 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:00:49 »

Beginning to feel some real hate for Windows 10
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #23297 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:26:23 »

I like it, wassup with yours mate?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #23298 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 17:28:27 »

I'm liking it more and more. Seems faster than Windows 7 did.

What are your gripes?
Flashheart

« Reply #23299 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:03:09 »

Sometimes the start menu button and task bar buttons just don't work and it needs restarting. Sometimes video and audio just stops and it needs restarting. Sometimes it does not turn off, I'll come back to it in the morning and it's still 'shutting down' from the night before. Sometimes it gets real fucking slow and the task manager shows the disk is running at 99%-100% for no apparent reason (I've scanned for viruses etc) It's great when it works, but not when it doesn't.

Today I've spent hours faffing about with what appears to be a driver conflict (still not solved). This may be as much to do with AMD as Windows, but I'll choose to blame windows because of the other problems that have been bothering me.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23300 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:20:12 »

I have to admit I have had none of those problems you have mentioned, I would suggest a fresh install at some point as I have not heard of those problems except the driver conflict.

The conflict is (I am guessing) that the AMD graphics card sound driver is conflicting with the actual AC97 sound driver. This can be solved either by reinstalling the AC97 sound driver after the AMD one has installed or by double clicking the sound icon and letting Win 10 do the updating itself...or disabling the AMD sound driver in the device settings.

Flashheart

« Reply #23301 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:33:32 »

I get a blue screen of death with an video_something_something atikmpag.sys error. The only way I can use my PC at all is by disabling the card (HD7850) in safety mode and then restarting. I've uninstalled and deleted the old driver and tried installing a new version but I just get the same problem. I need to keep it disabled even with the driver uninstalled because otherwise windows wants to install the driver again and then I crash again. The AMD auto detection tool couldn't even detect the card at all, which has me worried that it might be fucked, although another AMD program did detect it and went ahead with installing a driver for it, only for it to crash again.

I think a fresh install might be in order, it's been a while since I've done one. Of course I've followed guides on fixing the problem but did they work? Evidently not!

And there was me thinking I could just put my feet up and have a night tanking. At least youtube still seems to work reasonably well.
Flashheart

« Reply #23302 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:35:32 »

I even found the original installation disk that came with the card. That had to work, right?

Nope. A windows 10 driver is not on the disk.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23303 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:46:37 »

Did it happen after a recent driver update?

Boot into safe mode.

Download the clean tool and run it.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Reboot the pc in normal, download a previous driver, say 14.1 and install then test it.

I have also had that program if I have changed the pagefile.sys to too small, if you have changed the size of the pagefile then let windows choose it in "let system manage size".

Give that a go before you get too frustrated, but it could also be a corrupt windows system file that is causing it.

Flashheart

« Reply #23304 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 18:52:15 »

I've not updated anything recently. I was just in the middle of a game and zap, it all went Pete Tong.

I'll give that thingamy a go, cheers JJ
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #23305 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 21:04:24 »

Sometimes the start menu button and task bar buttons just don't work and it needs restarting.

This has been quite a regular occurrence on a work computer, basically tried everything and "wait for Microsoft to fix it" seems to be the only remaining option. It's a huge pain.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Flashheart

« Reply #23306 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 21:12:54 »

I googled it and google told me that microsoft were 'on the job' of fixing it. i used to have to restart a lot because 'Cortana' wasn't working and was informed that that would be fixed. To their credit Cortana hasn't given me grief lately so maybe they've managed to sort her out.

Another one that I still get sometimes is that a program can close just by me minimizing it or alt-shift to elsewhere. Even with a browser.... if I minimise it to do something else then it's closed and I have to restart it again to use it. If the problem happened with one app, it would happen for all. NOTHING could be minimised without being closed, although turning it off an on again would usually fix that..... for a while.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #23307 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 21:15:41 »

Disable Cortana, your life will improve.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #23308 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 21:16:50 »

Didn't realise you could disable Cortana. That's improved my evening.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #23309 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 21:21:39 »

There were a few other things that are better off disabled, e.g. wifi sense, P2P Windows updates etc but I think most of them have been ditched now
Pages: 1 ... 1551 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 1557 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: