Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Message for Mr. Fitton  (Read 19109 times)
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:37:28 »

I hear you Lucien. Especially working in football, I find myself becoming increasingly disllusioned with it all. I think it's money, well for me it is anyway. I often feel disillusioned with the amount of money football costs, how much players earn, how much money is need to earn success these days... it's so far removed from reality it's a joke. Eveything's commercial; read an interview and it's because a player has been launching a boot or something. That, and so many players just seem like dreadful, hateful people. Jermain Defoe, Craig Bellamy, John Terry, the list is endless... arrogant, spineless cnuts with no loyalty and little semblance of intelligence.

At least with Swindon, even if we are cack at the moment, we're living to our means and keeping it slightly real. If only the lads would put in the effort we did every weekend, we'd be alright! But I don't think it's cos they don't to, I just think it's years of playing for an average team, often with off-field drama, the pressures of making a living at the lower end - knowing it could end any day - and the constant change we've had at the club.

I bitch and moan but I'll go most home games and some aways because it's what me and my dad have always done. We don't know any different. We could be in the conference like Oxford and I'd hate it, but probably still go. The day you don't travel to a game wondering 'what if, this could be the day we play really well and win 3-0' is the day I'll knock it on the head.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:39:31 »

"If you have read the Lou Macari autobiography you would understand why some of us older folk are dissolusioned with the present day team.
Even though most of his players lacked talent they all made up for it by working and training hard. In a word passion.
There is none of that to be found in this team."

That's still not enough reason to not go. I started watching town in the late 80s so I had it pretty good for a few years, but we won't be this shit forever. You have to endure the bad to appreciate the good. If you go away and come back when it's good then that makes us as plastic as Reading and everyone else we slag off on here.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:40:52 »

I get all that... i still go, and will go next year, i just don't like it feeling like a chore. I think that's why i enjoy the away days still, as it's largely a great way to spend the day/weekend, with usually just a 90 minute poor spell somewhere in the middle.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
overthehill

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:41:33 »

"If you have read the Lou Macari autobiography you would understand why some of us older folk are dissolusioned with the present day team.
Even though most of his players lacked talent they all made up for it by working and training hard. In a word passion.

That's still not enough reason to not go. I started watching town in the late 80s so I had it pretty good for a few years, but we won't be this shit forever. You have to endure the bad to appreciate the good. If you go away and come back when it's good then that makes us as plastic as Reading and everyone else we slag off on here.

Maybe we wont come back at all

When you're smiling.........
Rich Pullen

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:45:59 »

People who have enough interest to go on Swindon Town related internet forums will go back.

My old man still makes a couple of games a season (if Chippenham aren't playing), he stopped like many others during the Rikki Hunt era.

Until we are a in the Championship or even until we are a Wigan or a Reading, we'll always have people having an excuse to not go. Success = Higher gates.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:51:05 »

Juddie,

I don't think anyone is asking the board to go out and spend masses of money,but to take the club
forward,we need some sustained investment into the squad.

Samdy in a post yesterday, said that the board won't spend except on "exceptional players" a la Coxy,
but we'll be relying on loans and freebies.We don't even offer competitive wages to attract players.
Anyone decent who's available on a free, will have other clubs interested.I don't want the club paying
silly wages,but i do expect them to be competitive,when trying to sign anyone decent.The board
can't have it both ways - not paying fees or decent wages to attract any quality players.How is
DW supposed to attract players,now or in the summer?

Last summer, the board to their credit were willing to pay 150K for Mulgrew.When he didn't sign,MM was
left with looking at a guy from Belgium and John Hills.We were so desperate for a left back we ended
up with Yinka! We were also crying out for a right winger.Surely the board could have loosened the purse
strings a bit?

I know quite a few people within the game and have asked on numerous occasions what their perception
of STFC is.Some are unaware of our new owners,whilst others who are more aware of the lower leagues,
say that we come accross as a club which isn't ambitious or progressive in any way, shape or form.

The board have worked very hard off the pitch, to make us a much more professional and well run club,
but you have to be 2 steps ahead of the game.I hope that they've learnt a lot over the last the 12 months.
The last few years have really worn us down.We as fans need a sense of optimism about STFC,but we
aren't getting that both on or off the pitch.Nick Watkins at the Trust AGM, said that they wouldn't allow us
to go down.I hope that he and Fitton are true to his word and that they give DW every help this month
and in the summer.

Come on you Reds!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 15:56:38 by alanmayes » Logged

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:17:20 »

One of the best aspects of watching lower league football, even down to the occasional non league
games,is the honest endeavour.It's something that we as fans can appreciate.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:20:27 »

I'll be getting a season ticket...subject to still having a job !!!

I can certainly feel for Mex and co. and in some respects I feel slightly similar. The adrenalin fix of getting the old board out has gone, and bar the on field performances, everything is running smoothly off the field. Anyway, I'd rather be having a go at the ref at the CG, then watching plastic football on the tele.

One thing I look forward to every home game now, the football special at the Frying Fish...top value !!!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:34:04 »

I agree with you AM, all I'm saying is that we might have to wait until the end of jan before we sign players, for the simple reason that clubs are unwilling to release players until they've sorted themselves out. As a league one club we have to wait until bigger clubs make their moves, that's just the way it works.

Everyone wants new players now, but they might have to wait a week or 10 days.

And while we do want to become a better prospect, teh facts are we're at the wrong end of league one. If it's a choice between us and someone in mid-table, then who do you think a player will join?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:35:47 »

Ive lost interest,I now consider my self a casual fan that goes when he can be arsed.Once you get over the guilt of missing a home match for no real reason it then turns to two and before you know it you've not been for a few months.Its really quite liberating.

/
W56196272
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:36:42 »

Incidently ive only scanned this thread,has anyone said "we must get behind the lads" ?

/
W56196272
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:43:42 »

I agree with you AM, all I'm saying is that we might have to wait until the end of jan before we sign players, for the simple reason that clubs are unwilling to release players until they've sorted themselves out. As a league one club we have to wait until bigger clubs make their moves, that's just the way it works.

Everyone wants new players now, but they might have to wait a week or 10 days.

And while we do want to become a better prospect, teh facts are we're at the wrong end of league one. If it's a choice between us and someone in mid-table, then who do you think a player will join?

I appreciate that most of the deals are done in the last week of the january window.However,
i do feel that it's the "perception" of the club that needs to be addressed.To attract players
Fitton and Danny Wilson need to sell the club to players and yes agents,that we're a go ahead
and progressive club and wanting to improve.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:44:46 »

we must get behind the lads
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:45:45 »

Ive lost interest,I now consider my self a casual fan that goes when he can be arsed.Once you get over the guilt of missing a home match for no real reason it then turns to two and before you know it you've not been for a few months.Its really quite liberating.

I miss the odd home match, it's nothing to feel guilty about, but I do then find myself looking forward to the next one because I haven't been "for ages".

Reading some of the posts here you'd think Swindon had never had a shit team before.
flammableBen

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 16:49:45 »

I've been not going for ages. Fucking bandwagon jumpers.

The problem with the "Saturday isn't the same without football" thing, is that actually it can be better. I like the afternoon out, meeting people in the pub. But you can do that and not go to the game, have your cake and eat it too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: