Pages: 1 ... 2456 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 2462 ... 4018   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9231320 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #36870 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 07:35:25 »

The self-preserving revisionism on here in the last couple of weeks has been fun. Woolery is far from perfect, but he just had his best season, was our leading provider of assists, and was high on the divisional table.

I could cope with him moving on, but that's no reason to belittle the achievements of him or the rest of last season's brilliant squad.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Panda Paws

« Reply #36871 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 07:44:36 »

KW was excellent for us last season but I'd hope if he does stay, he'd be further down the pecking order this year.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #36872 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 07:45:48 »

The self-preserving revisionism on here in the last couple of weeks has been fun. Woolery is far from perfect, but he just had his best season, was our leading provider of assists, and was high on the divisional table.

I could cope with him moving on, but that's no reason to belittle the achievements of him or the rest of last season's brilliant squad.

Yeah, I agree. Pretty common within the detatchment process when a player looks to be leaving.

Woolery went about his business quietly but made an meaningful impact in 19/20.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #36873 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 07:55:10 »

Agreed. Do we turn on Wellens when he goes and say he was a bit dour? I’ll put my neck on the line and say, I think Yates will score 20, Anderson (if he stays fit) will be one of the brightest sparks in League 1, and Doyle will score 15+.

But there’s nothing wrong with summer departures if we think the Covid situation will bring a quality of player into our price range that wouldn’t have been in it before, and regardless of how good those leaving are, we may be able to improve. How the club can afford to offer any contracts when there’s a possibility of hugely reduced gate receipts (and no season ticket income) next year though, is beyond me. Isn’t this imaginary money?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #36874 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:14:43 »

I hope Woolery stays as I think hes a consistant performer when he does play, got better in the air, is strong and fast just needs to keep improving his final ball.

I know that Wellens sometimes missleads his interviewer, often deliberately, and I don't mind that if it keeps other managers guessing.

I have heard that for instance Rose agreed to his new deal 2 weeks ago yet thats not what we hear from Wellens.

I think theres much more to come from Woolery but if he has to move on then he does, its his career and hes not getting any younger and will be 26 at the end of this coming season. For me if it came down to Isgrove or Woolery I would choose to keep Woolery. He has most assists in L2 last season and his pace is amazing and he scares defenders when he runs at them.

Of those that we are (allegedly) waiting to sign new contracts I would like them in this order Grant, Woolery, Isgrove, Rose, in that order but would be happy if they all decided to stay.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #36875 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:15:37 »

Agreed. Do we turn on Wellens when he goes and say he was a bit dour? I’ll put my neck on the line and say, I think Yates will score 20, Anderson (if he stays fit) will be one of the brightest sparks in League 1, and Doyle will score 15+.
I think Yates will score 8, Anderson 5 and Doyle 12 next season.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #36876 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:28:21 »

Woolery is an odd one. His pace and aerial ability were very important to us. His pace to compliment Anderson/Isgrove in that early season team that broke on the opposition rapidly. His aerial ability as an outlet when we needed it given Yates/Doyle were not great in the air.

Having said that his footwork is bad, and his footballing intelligence is awful. The guy has no positional awareness and is nowhere near the threat he should be with this other attributes.

Is there much more to come from him? Not so sure myself. I think his pace/physicality works in league 2. Though i'm pretty sure if others had played as many games as him they would have had more assists.

Given the profile of most wide players is to have pace, i think if we can get a forward or 2 with better aerial ability and presence then we can get a much better wide player than Woolery and i would not be remotely concerned if he left.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36877 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:34:06 »

He is a bit of a jigsaw as a striker
Peter Venkman

« Reply #36878 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:34:42 »

I think Woolery can improve, not sure by how much, but last summer he improved his strength and fitness levels noticably as well as his aerial ability, which is not an attribute normally associated with speedy wingers.

His head down approach frustrates as much as it excites and his final ball is at times woeful, but no more so that Yates and Anderson for me, they can all at times do the hard stuff then fuck up the seemingly more simple final ball.

I would like him to stay but not overly bothered if he does leave really, I feel the same about Isgrove, at times he was brilliant and at times massively frustrating and lazy. Thats one thing you can't accuse Woolery of....being lazy, yes his head drops when he loses the ball but he always tracks back unlike Izzy.

Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #36879 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:38:55 »

Wouldn't cost a transfer fee, hes 1 year older now than he was then so would command less in wages and is out of contract so is currently on £0 pw Wink

Hope we do not sign players like Maynard, plenty better options available on £0 pw
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #36880 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:40:57 »

But is the cat dead or alive; or both?

Best ask Schroedinger.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #36881 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 08:49:38 »

Hope we do not sign players like Maynard, plenty better options available on £0 pw
I am not a massive fan of Maynard but we know that Wellens is a fan after trying to sign him last season.

He is very similar to the outgoing Doyle as in a both have 1 goal every 3 game career spread over 400+ games, both a similar age and both have had barren spells lasting 7+ years before scoring double figures for the last couple of seasons, so it would be a like for like in many ways.

I feel Doyle is a better finisher though but Maynard is faster and stronger.

I am sure we will soon find out if he is even a genuine target for us.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #36882 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:07:02 »

I’ll put my neck on the line and say, I think Yates will score 20, Anderson (if he stays fit) will be one of the brightest sparks in League 1, and Doyle will score 15+.

All depends on whether Blackpool/Bolton play to their strengths, Doyle proved that last year.

No idea how the Blackpool manager sets up, Evatts likes nice attacking football so if Bolton have the creative players to make the chances for Doyle you may be correct.

Blackpool could be interesting, as the manager will need to hit  the ground sprinting to kep the fans happy with their aspirations that they are the Real Madrid of the Fylde coast, couple of losees can see them getting restless.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #36883 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:12:10 »

My mind works in a way that I think Anderson and Yates will either be spectacular successes or relentless failures and nothing in-between.

Apart from in the build-up to the Blackpool games, I won't be looking at/obessing over their form like I was when Doyle was back at Bradford.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #36884 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 09:13:00 »

I am not a massive fan of Maynard but we know that Wellens is a fan after trying to sign him last season.

He is very similar to the outgoing Doyle as in a both have 1 goal every 3 game career spread over 400+ games, both a similar age and both have had barren spells lasting 7+ years before scoring double figures for the last couple of seasons, so it would be a like for like in many ways.

I feel Doyle is a better finisher though but Maynard is faster and stronger.

I am sure we will soon find out if he is even a genuine target for us.

It's a shame Luton aren't off loading James Collins as I would have him back and at 29 a perfect replacement for Doyle

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
Pages: 1 ... 2456 2457 2458 [2459] 2460 2461 2462 ... 4018   Go Up
Print
Jump to: