Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043363 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #8490 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 10:58:41 »

Future historians could do worse than look at this thread as an example of the problem.  If you deleted the last few hundred pages and replaced them with

“Fuck the Tory cunts and all the millions of people who don’t agree with me are either gullible or evil”

then you wouldn’t really be missing much

But isn’t that because the Tory voters on here consistently fail to engage when asked why they think what they think. Apart from Chalkie who wrote well on Brexit but who now seems to have disappeared, the likes of Legends Lounge, Hobodan and Chang etc prefer trolling to actually trying to educate, persuade or inform (or that’s what it comes across like).

I’ve said several times that it baffles me how an ordinary working class person identifies more with Eton-educated millionaires than Corbyn’s Labour. As yet, none who fit that criteria can explain why. So I remain baffled. I’d like to know as maybe that would help Labour win over people who should really be their core vote.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8491 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:16:52 »

Personally, I'm not going to go in to how I'm going to vote, nor am I going to try to 'educate, persuade or inform' anyone - Especially on a Football forum that has a strap line of 25% Football and 80% Bollocks!

What I will say is that I've heard candidates, parties and media spout their bile. I am left intrigued that the recent US election offered up probably the two worst candidates in history and that the UK election seems to be following the same pattern. Should we really be choosing who (and which party) would be the least disastrous for the country? Ideally not!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8492 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:22:04 »

But isn’t that because the Tory voters on here consistently fail to engage when asked why they think what they think. Apart from Chalkie who wrote well on Brexit but who now seems to have disappeared, the likes of Legends Lounge, Hobodan and Chang etc prefer trolling to actually trying to educate, persuade or inform (or that’s what it comes across like).

I’ve said several times that it baffles me how an ordinary working class person identifies more with Eton-educated millionaires than Corbyn’s Labour. As yet, none who fit that criteria can explain why. So I remain baffled. I’d like to know as maybe that would help Labour win over people who should really be their core vote.

Historically Chalkies was a Labour man.

The point needs to be made to Bambi, that despite how it seems there is a massive concensus in current UK politics. You can discern this when studying the history of how our system came about. It has always been adversorial, but Parliament came to be seen as away of bringing people together and avoiding the worst excesses of say our Civil War and the French Revolution.

In say the 18th into the 19th Century, there had always been factions who regarded the direct overthrow of the state as the way forward, alongside groups who felt change could be affected by Parliamentary reform, democratic methods etc.

The democrats largely prevailed, but accepted there had to be an element of confrontation in the House, whcih reflected feelings without them spilling out into extra Parliamentary action.

This is where the danger now lies ahead of us... our democracy is in need of another reform to bring it into line with the age of the internet. The contempt that the Tories have shown for Parliament and a massive chunk of the electorate, may very well spill out into more direct action besides ER.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #8493 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:41:26 »

Anyone know how I can stop receiving Lib Dem guff through my letterbox? I've only been at this address for 6 months, have removed my name from the open roll and registered with the mysterious anti (are they?) marketing bodies/councils/associations. Also got a sticker about junk mail on my letterbox but the fuckers must have bought my details so all the post is addressed to me.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #8494 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:42:46 »

As always I am in a quandry about voting.

I am and always have been a labour voter, not ashamed of that, thats how I was brought up, dad being a shop steward for many many years he passed that down to myself and my sister, who herself is a shop steward at the Council in Swindon.

But the problem is I live in the Yeovil parliamentary seat a staunch Liberal seat right up until the last election when the Conservatives got in with a massive 54% of the vote. People locally took it on themselves to vote away from their traditional Liberal vote after many years of Paddy Ashdown and then David Laws, labour has always been 3rd or even 4th in the polls.

Last election the labour candidate got only 12% of the vote, Liberals got 30%.

I despise Jo Swinson but I absolutely hate Marcus Fysh and the Conservatives and want rid of him and them from the seat.

Usually I vote for the Liberals just to stop the Tories getting another seat, that didn't work last time out, so should I vote with my conscience for Labour or vote for a leader I dislike hugely just to stop (possibly or even probable) another Tory seat?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8495 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:46:12 »

Anyone know how I can stop receiving Lib Dem guff through my letterbox? I've only been at this address for 6 months, have removed my name from the open roll and registered with the mysterious anti (are they?) marketing bodies/councils/associations. Also got a sticker about junk mail on my letterbox but the fuckers must have bought my details so all the post is addressed to me.
Get some of that Novichok stuff.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8496 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:46:26 »

Complain to the MPS Mailing Preference Service if its addressed junk mail from them with a name on, if its to the occupier thats more difficult as the MPS deals on a name and address matching. If its unsolicited unamed mail then you have to approach the poster directly and stress you want no more mail from them.

I worked for 15 years in junk mail and we had requests like this on a daily basis so we always ran a duplicates database match against the MPS database and removed the ones not wanted, most junk mail companies do the same.

Hope this helps.

Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #8497 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:55:15 »

As always I am in a quandry about voting.

I am and always have been a labour voter, not ashamed of that, thats how I was brought up, dad being a shop steward for many many years he passed that down to myself and my sister, who herself is a shop steward at the Council in Swindon.

But the problem is I live in the Yeovil parliamentary seat a staunch Liberal seat right up until the last election when the Conservatives got in with a massive 54% of the vote. People locally took it on themselves to vote away from their traditional Liberal vote after many years of Paddy Ashdown and then David Laws, labour has always been 3rd or even 4th in the polls.

Last election the labour candidate got only 12% of the vote, Liberals got 30%.

I despise Jo Swinson but I absolutely hate Marcus Fysh and the Conservatives and want rid of him and them from the seat.

Usually I vote for the Liberals just to stop the Tories getting another seat, that didn't work last time out, so should I vote with my conscience for Labour or vote for a leader I dislike hugely just to stop (possibly or even probable) another Tory seat?

This is exactly the position I'm in. I voted Lib Dem last time as they were/are the only party with a chance of unseating the Tories. I regretted it then and I'm even more put off by the Lib Dems this time, so I'll vote Labour.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8498 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 11:58:38 »

This is exactly the position I'm in. I voted Lib Dem last time as they were/are the only party with a chance of unseating the Tories. I regretted it then and I'm even more put off by the Lib Dems this time, so I'll vote Labour.
I am erring towards an actual vote too rather than tactical.

I have always, since I have lived down here, voted Liveral precisely to stop the Tories getting the seat, I cannot in all honesty vote for Swinson and it didnt work last time anyway.

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #8499 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 12:17:45 »

Think I've decided today on a tactical vote. Thinking local has helped, I like what I've seen/heard from Helen Belcher, won't ever vote Tory and Labour have no chance round here.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8500 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 15:34:13 »

Three Tory parliamentary candidates being investigated for anti-semitism, including one who retweeted a Nazi slogan in response to a post critical of George Soros, Johnson has taken no action against any of them. I'm sure Mr Lorenzo will be on shortly to denounce the Tories and their appalling racist leader as unfit for office.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8501 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 15:39:31 »

And the UK's diplomat in charge of explaining Brexit in the US has resigned saying she's fed up of "peddling half-truths and lies" on Brexit. The same half truths and lies being told to the British public. Her words

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50693537
Flashheart

« Reply #8502 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 15:43:27 »

Three Tory parliamentary candidates being investigated for anti-semitism, including one who retweeted a Nazi slogan in response to a post critical of George Soros, Johnson has taken no action against any of them. I'm sure Mr Lorenzo will be on shortly to denounce the Tories and their appalling racist leader as unfit for office.

But there's only 1 racist party. You just don't want to accept balance.
Flashheart

« Reply #8503 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 16:23:50 »

Just sayin'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8504 on: Saturday, December 7, 2019, 16:25:39 »

But there's only 1 racist party. You just don't want to accept balance.
"One racist party, there's only one racist party, one racist paaaartyyyyyy, there's only one racist party". Theme tune for next incarnation of Farage Ltd?
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 566 [567] 568 569 570 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: