Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil Town FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41355 times)
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 22:34:31 »

Well done to everyone that travelled.

All round solid performance and most importantly an excellent defensive one. That last 45 puts to bed the notion we're suffering overly from fitness issues at the moment, although the lack of players to rotate will surely take its toll eventually and an injury to a key player would remain a disaster.

Also, for those who said Kmac had no passion, I hope everyone saw how he was feeling that 5 minutes added time as much as any fan.

Overall, good start to his tenure.

Absolutely, even in terms of points/games it's been a very good start, especially considering the circumstances.  I think before tonight there was a feeling things were on the slide, but it's amazing what a good win can do for the spirits.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Drakes Way

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 22:37:14 »

Game was televised live on Setanta here in Sydney so my first chance to see the team in action this season. Thought the first half was pretty poor and couldn't believe the amount of space in the middle of our defence that was afforded the Yeovil attackers when the ball was crossed in from the left.

Second half was much better with us looking a lot more fluid. Good to see Williams using his pace to try to open the game up but for me Nathan Thompson was MoTM by a country mile. The covering challenge he put on Hayter in the second half was superb and wouldn't have been out of place in the EPL.

The only other thing that worries me just a little is Fods trying to dribble the ball around an oncoming attacker. He got away with it tonight but it is only a matter of time before someone causes him major embarrassment.

Have a major smile on my face this morning and it has nothing to do with me getting lucky with the missus.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 22:40:09 »

Sam made a good point that each time we have faced a game with a mini crisis, the players have responded with a win. Hats off to the players for digging deep and getting a brilliant 3 away points in a crucial game.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
skay

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 22:47:06 »

Top result! Thought Thomo was tops like everyone else but I think Macca shaded it for mom.
Really doubted Kev Mac when he took off Ferry, but fair play it worked! Onwards and upwards and all that, nothing to worry about with this league and still think it's ours to fuck up.

Also agree wit Drakes way...

The only other thing that worries me just a little is Fods trying to dribble the ball around an oncoming attacker. He got away with it tonight but it is only a matter of time before someone causes him major embarrassment.

pewshamrobin

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 22:57:44 »

agreed fods takes too many risks with oncoming forwards he will get found out shortly...... he needs to launch the ball down the pitch stop instead dribbling across his area when being closed down

ewsham Robin
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:03:10 »

I thought Jay had a much better defensive game tonight after a series of dodgy performances, the whole back 4 were great against 2 good strikers.

Macca sent the ball in for Roberts for the pen & then set up Collins at the end, definitely a better CM at this level than defender.

Last word for KMac, it was obvious that the 1st half tactic of high balls into the box wasn't working, had the nouce to change things and we were much better 2nd half, fair play to him

NT worthy of motm, cracking performance!
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:05:54 »

Have been out on a works meal and wasn't 100% sure we'd won until on the way home. Just settling down to flick through the game and watch some of the highlights.  Excellent 3 points, I thought we'd struggle to get a point tonight to be honest especially with the unsettlement off the pitch.

We have to turn round our crap home form and get 3 points on Saturday now.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:09:31 »

Missed the second half. Not happy with a 0-0 draw at all.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:13:20 »

Missed the second half. Not happy with a 0-0 draw at all.
Di Canio out.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:20:54 »

Really enjoyed that!

- Thought Thompson was the best player on the park by far
- McCormack has fantastic vision and is a class above anything else we have in midfield
- Ward and Flint scared me. So little pace and so one footed.
- What a superb penalty by Rooney. As for his general play, he really reminds me of Andy Mutch.
- Williams was anonymous 1st half and excellent (with no final product) 2nd
- Twice they have bigged up Roberts on TV. Twice for me he has been disappointing
- Miller. Game seemed to mostly pass him by.
- Didn't notice L Rooney nor RDV when they came on
- Collins looked strong but a little slow
- McEverley's positioning was mostly good.
- Would be interesting to see Thompson play with Caddis infront of him

Shocked we won it though. Thought we would get dicked before the game. First half I still thought we'd lose. Second half I thought we would huff and puff all night, dominate the game and slip up at the end. How wrong can you be!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:21:02 »

We can't offer NT a contract, we are under embargo.
I don't think this is the case at all. A transfer embargo, as far as I can tell from the FL website, only prevents us from registering new players.

"subject the Club to a registration embargo such that it shall not be permitted to register any Player with that Club without the prior written consent of the Executive until such time as the breach identified by Regulation 16.6 has been rectified in its entirety to the Board's satisfaction."
http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20120702/section-4-clubs_2293633_2125725
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:42:14 »

Back home now, first half non eventful, they missed a couple, one a sitter and 2nd half we took it to them and deserved our goals. Heard plenty of their fans moaning on the way out saying we were jammy but we took our chances and they didn't. That's the only time I've enjoyed a trip down there and after tonight may even go back. Did they say on the radio/tv how many was at the game? Was expecting a few more Town fans but it made the queue for coffee shorter. Big confidence boost that win and after the final whistle the players were really milking it, Good lads  Smiley
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:46:14 »

Just got back. Bed's a-calling, so will A. keep it relatively short and B. I haven't got time to read anything anyone else has put, so apologies if I repeat things.

First half: tentative and nervy. Thompson was absolutely fantastic after being clattered and getting booked in the first 10mins (Never a booking btw). We had 3 central midfielders, but couldn't play more than two or three balls between them. Roberts either dithered or dribbled into Yeovil players every chance he got. Could see why Yeovil had done so well this season- lots of threat, particularly on the counter (a trend for teams against us). Everything was a bit wobbly, and I was happy to see us 0-0 into halftime. Jay mac was surprisingly good.

Second Half: Jay mac started to get rubbish. Roberts' goal should have stood. I have yet to work out why it was disallowed, other than for shoulder/shoulder contact between defender and Roberts, in which case it was a fucking stupid decision as it was entirely a 50/50 situation. Clear penalty for us, taken smartly and cleanly by Rooney. Yeovil's penalty shout I will have to watch back, but from texts from people watching on sky, the Yeovil player dived like a fish. Ferry coming off was understandable as he was obviously having a hammy problem. Thompson continued to piss off the Yeovil support and players by blocking, tackling, and generally running our defence. Flint looked much better second half. De Vita made some decent touches to keep the ball at the right end of the pitch. Luke Rooney ran and ran, as did Collins. Deserved goal at the death.

Generally, I'm happy with what I saw (first Kmac game for me), although the bunching up of our players is a concern. Our wings were defensively poor and in attack not a lot better, primarily because we played surprisingly narrow. With Ward and Flint pushing up to the halfway line at times we were not only lessening the space for our central midfield to play in, but risking long balls over the top. Didn't pay for it today, but that was mostly because of Yeovil's poor shooting, and Nathan Thompson's truly brilliant performance. We spent a lot of the match getting hustled off the ball because there wasn't enough space to pass into, or play around the Yeovil players. We need to stretch opposing teams a little bit more than we are now.

But that's just me nitpicking. As a bonus, Collins' goal knocks Yeovil out of the playoff spots, which goes down very well with me as it pisses off a load of people in my local.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 23:58:19 »

- McCormack has fantastic vision and is a class above anything else we have in midfield

Ferry ferry ferry ferry ferry ferry ferry.

- Ward and Flint scared me. So little pace and so one footed.

Personally I thought they were both excellent, Flint especially who I thought showed a surprisingly good turn of pace on a few occasions. Having said that, I only watched on the box so will defer to the opinion of someone who actually went. And although it generally worked tonight, I must admit to remaining sceptical about the high line of defence we seem to have adopted when those two are at the back.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 00:00:29 by BruceChatwin » Logged
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 00:00:44 »

We didn't make the Arrow pub but they had a marquee just outside the ground selling thatchers so had a couple in there. A big bonus was we didn't get a drop of rain down there and was suprised to see how much surface water was on the roads back this end. Yeovil fans made a right song and dance at just about everything so was nice at the end to shut them up especially whoever was ringing a stupid bell ! Town fans didn't break into song that much but we never do down there but we definitely got the last laughs.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 00:03:17 by Notts red » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: