Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil Town FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 41044 times)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:12:51 »

P.S. Having said that, I would like to see us using him to far, far greater effect at set pieces. The bloke's a human totem pole and we should be looking at getting 10+ goals out of him per season.

Agreed. Seemed under Di Canio he was often stationed beyond the back post at corners/free kicks to nod it back across goal. As you rightly say he should be a credible goal threat if attacking the box from set pieces.
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:15:16 »

Fantastic win all things considered.

Nathan was excellent, composed on the ball and hard in the tackle with excellent positional sense. Love the fact he's come through our youth teams as well.

Flint had a good game, always a bit nervous when he has the ball at his feet though. Williams had a good second half and its always refreshing to see someone take a player on. Roberts has quality on the ball but just lacked a final product tonight which is a shame as he definitely has talent.

McCormack had a good game but I'd take ferry over him in the middle all day. Ferry would slot in to a champ side no problem IMO, his passing and awareness is way above the rest of our squad that coupled with his energy makes him a big asset. Pretty sure he's out of contract soon..

Next two games are huge for us...

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:24:16 »

Still buzzing today after that result and performance (particularly 2nd half), as everyone has said Nathan Thompson was an absolute rock and we should be looking to renew his contract asap.  I must say both Flint and JMac have been our weak links in recent games but both were massively better last night. 

Think Tommy Miller was our only poor performer and would still love to see Ferry and McCormack together in centre mid, think there styles of play would compliment each other well.

I feel Roberts form has really picked up since Ritchie left, he must of set up at least 3 goals in the last 4 games, it seems to me that some fans have an irrational hatred for him though particularly at home games. 

Really hoping we sort out the home form because if we do then we will win this league!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #378 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:35:42 »

Haven't celebrated that much for ages when we scored a goal Smiley

Loved it, first half was crap, Flint looked off the mark as did JMac in the first half, pumped too much long and didn't threaten them at all and how Hayter (I think) missed 2 almost sitters kept us in the game.

Myself, Pumbaa, Herthab, Flash and Victor Meldrew were all saying at half time we will be happy with a draw, it was cold and the pitch was like a slashed bus seat (Mr Flash) and that Yeovil seemed they wanted it more.......well turns out we were very wrong!

2nd half what a turn around, we played the ball on the floor and passed it around so much better than them all over the pitch. Flint and JMac were back at the races and in the 2nd half we didn't look like conceding, even with Foders insisting on dribbling with the ball before kicking it, despite this I havent felt that confident in a Swindon keeper for years....possibly ever.

The Penalty was right in front of us and I personally, and all around me, thought Roberts certainly looked for the penalty and there was practically zero contact at all, but the ref gave it and Rooney cooly slotted it in, brilliant!

Collins came on and really made a difference up front with his running and strength and deserved his goal at the end.

The passion shown by the players was evident at the end, I was very proud to be part of it even though I have a bruised jaw and hand from the celebrations (thanks to Pumbaa!).

Hopefully we can kick on a bit now....again!

Last word goes to Nathan Thompson....who other than 1 misstimed tackle which earned him a booking (a tackle which looked like he was getting revenge for an earlier bad tackle on him) he did not put a foot wrong all game, this lad is a star in the making, the hardest tackling fullback since Rambo!

Well done to the 550 ish Town fans that bothered to turn up, it was a great night in the end.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:38:02 »

Well that was excellent after a dogshit first half.

Pitch was shit and didnt help but we were by far better in the second half.

If we had drawn at Brentford and drawn last night we would probably be happy but as it is we have three points and not two.....saying that....it is our home form that fucks us.

Nice to see Herthab and JJ and pumba last night......

Three home points...pretty fucking please...

Clems Army!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:48:39 »

A lot of the criticism about how we look shaky at the back is because of the very high line we play. So much space behind the back four will always make us vulnerable to balls knocked over the top. I presume our plan is to press and win the ball higher up and attack quickly but Miller was anonymous in the deeper role leaving McCormack to cover two roles.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 08:52:40 »

I would agree with that, for me the only poor performer all game was Miller.

ChinaWhitenRed

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:21:57 »

My first match for 6 weeks due to working away and hopefully my presence will bring back the good form!! First half shiiiite but thoroughly deserved the win on the second half performance. Had a perfect view of the penalty and thought we were very fortunate to get it but that cancels out the disallowed goal. Onwards and upwards.

Change must come through the barrel of a gun
Flashheart

« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:39:25 »

Unfortunately Notts County, have a very decent away record, in terms of being hard to beat...only lost 3, so not an easy game to turn around poor form.

There hasn't been many seasons where we've reached 10 away wins...I can think of 2 without checking.

That's the spirit Reg. Knew we could count on you.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:41:00 »

I think someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that his legs have gone. Certainly looked to me that the game passed him by until late in the second half, when Yeovil may have tired.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:42:14 »

Unfortunately Miller's poor performances appear to be consistent. To me he looks a bit 'weighty'.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:50:11 »

I think someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that his legs have gone. Certainly looked to me that the game passed him by until late in the second half, when Yeovil may have tired.
That's a Good point, I noticed towards the end That Yeovil looked shattered and we were really stretching them for the last half hour or so.  was also good to see we didn't seem to sit back to much and panic after our 1st goal. Apart from a quiet first half I really enjoyed the night.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 09:54:01 »

Noticed a few comments on here about Wes dribbling the ball out - I havent seen them much this season but that was probably the first time I've seen him try to do that. Wonder if it was due to the pitch - a nasty bobble could see him doing a Hammond, whereas if he takes a touch hes got more chance of a clean connection. Or has he been doing this a lot this year ?
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 10:04:18 »

Noticed a few comments on here about Wes dribbling the ball out - I havent seen them much this season but that was probably the first time I've seen him try to do that. Wonder if it was due to the pitch - a nasty bobble could see him doing a Hammond, whereas if he takes a touch hes got more chance of a clean connection. Or has he been doing this a lot this year ?

Think Paolo would have strung him up if Wes had tried it when he was here. Done it a couple of times since though, last night and very smoothly against Walsall(?)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #389 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 10:07:05 »

I do remember Digby doing similar at times when he was our keeper, maybe its his influence in training.

BTW nice to see Diggers back on the pitch before the game with Wes.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: