Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yeovil Town FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40796 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:01:39 »

The Opponent: Yeovil Town

I must admit, my mind has been somewhat occupied with just about everything apart from STFC over the last few weeks, all in a positive sense though.  A few weeks back, my long time mate who has stood next to me in The Town End for the last 13 years and I decided to have a crack at putting our own business together and it seems to have taken off at a rate of knots that we didn’t quite expect, so for the last few weeks we have been clearing sheds, gardens, garages, collecting and delivering just about anything and pretty much anything that needs the use of a man with a van. Plug over. By hook or by crook I have ended up with the very green beanie that Di Canio wore, complete with STFC pin badge affixed to the front by Di Canio himself. Its yours for £600 Matchworn Shirts.

My own memories of Yeovil away are rather bland. The last time I made my way down to Somerset was one of those loud and proud days, big long bits of blue and white tissue paper if I remember correctly. I think I may well have had a few local beverages before the match though, and the rest as they say, is history. For me, Yeovil have really been one of the shock promotion candidates for this season, though I guess you could have said that quite a few times over the last few years as they often seem to be there or thereabouts, and fail at the last hurdle. I was planning to do this one this evening but instead I shall be delivering a marble fireplace to someone on the middle of nowhere then settling down to watch it on the box.

Not far down the road from Yeovil is Sturminster Newton, now what has that got to do with anything I hear you ask? Well, make a note of it in the diary, 14th September, The Sturminster Newton Cheese Festival 2013.  The Cheese Festival has 60+ traditional food stalls, 60+ craft stalls, real ale and real cider tents. Live music, Punch and Judy, Morris dancing, children's entertainment and of course plenty of cheese making, cheese tasting, cookery demonstrations and cheese related events. What a fantastic day out, and with tickets going at a fiver, why wouldn’t you? Interestingly, Archaeological surveys have indicated signs of activity from the Palaeolithic period, with burial and occupation sites located principally to the south of the modern town, particularly in Hendford where a Bronze Age golden torc (twisted collar) was found. 

2 of the most notable Yeovilians both hail from the sporting world. Moustached Olympic Rowing Champ, Heather Stanning being one of them and Ian Botham, legendary cricketer and former Scunthorpe FC player. 

What have they been saying about us? –

“We are in a rich vein of form at home as of late, marked this down as one of our banker draws, taking into account the quality of the opposition. Nil Nil”

Yeovil last 6 –  WDLWDD  (Currently 6th, also on 63 points)

The irrelevant stats –  Yeovil Town are unbeaten in their last six home games, winning five of them, and drawing the other one. These high-scoring games have yielded a total of 14 goals for the Glovers, with 4 goals against. Might be worth pointing out that our away form ain't too shabby!

The Threat –  Paddy Madden has scored 19 goals so far this season, and James Bloody Hater has managed 12.

A  Not Very Warm Welcome To – Our very own Andy Williams. The 26-year-old, who left Huish Park last summer, insists he will not take it personally if some Yeovil fans give him a less than warm reception.
"Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've no idea what response I'll get, I went there at a bit of a low in my career and Terry Skiverton and the gang there helped me out and put me back on track.  But I think they've moved on from that and they've got a number of good strikers and it doesn't look like they are particularly missing me”

Head to Head –   Of the 11 previous encounters between us, we have lost 4, won 5 and drawn 2, averaging 2.8 goals a game!

The Odds –  Yeovil 7/4    Draw 23/10   Swindon 6/4 (Ladbrokes.com) Although Paddy Madden has managed his 19 goals from just 27 appearances, lump everything on Andy Williams to make the back of the net ripple first, 11/2. Also at Ladbrokes.

The Son Says – He is buzzing just because we are on the box, he has gone for a 2-1 away win.

The Prediction -  I am sticking with my eternal optimism and following my lad on this one. 2-1 Swindon, a Williams double, one with his head and a 30 yard screamer, in front of 5’980 (999 from Wiltshire and beyond)

And Finally – Even centuries ago they were a rowdy bunch.  Like all other medieval towns, Yeovil suffered from the Black Death in 1348-49. It may have killed half the population. Then in 1349 a riot occurred in St Johns Church when the Bishop of Wells was visiting. For some time there had been arguments between the townspeople and the clergy over the markets and these boiled over into violence. When the bishop was in the church some people attacked the priests who were with him! Did they not have Scrumpy back then?

COYR COYR COYR
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:19:50 »

I'm going, again  Wink not holding my breath for any points down there but never say never. Hope it stays dry at least that would be something. 3-1 loss.
Good stuff SR, I'm glad you haven't been sacked as Match day starter  Smiley
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:23:30 by Notts red » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:22:18 »

Can't make this one, so no chance of any national TV coverage/front page of the adver this time...on to the more important thing...I have to say we need to win this one really looking below us now, not too bad of a record down there so I'll follow the optimism and say 2-1 Swindon with Roberts and an 89th minute Williams winner either side of a Yeovil equaliser. I think crowd of around 3900, with 820 Town fans making the journey! C.O.Y.R!!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:29:07 »

Anyone got any good parking spots for a quick get away? I got  stuck in the away car park for ages a few years ago so the last time I parked at the bottom of the hill in the supermarket car park but I've heard they've got strict on that now so any advice would be welcomed.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:29:42 »

Park at The Arrow.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:34:07 »

Park at The Arrow.
Cheers Si, is that a pub?
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:44:47 »

I'm going, again  Wink not holding my breath for any points down there but never say never. Hope it stays dry at least that would be something. 3-1 loss.
Good stuff SR, I'm glad you haven't been sacked as Match day starter  Smiley

Sacked? It was I that led us through those dark early season jitters, although this is likely to be down to the fact that nobody else really wanted the poisoned chalice.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:50:51 »

Sacked? It was I that led us through those dark early season jitters, although this is likely to be down to the fact that nobody else really wanted the poisoned chalice.
Just a little joke from earlier, I asked where the match day thread was this morning and whether you had been sacked !  Doh
Bukkake Regiment

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:52:21 »

I'll be amazed if more than 500 of us are in attendance. 1-1.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:56:37 »

You got Paolo's beanie SR? Well Jel. How'd you come by that?

Hard fought 2-1 I reckon, Williams with a pair and one of their cunts with the other one. Probably Gary fucking madine.

Shall be there, along with about 800 other Towners. Total attendance 3,500 as most of the webbed-feet crowd in Yeovil will stay inside and watch it on the sky they've bought with their benefits from their 50 kids.

Learnt to drive in Yeovil, some of the roundabouts can be a laugh, not that I'm worried about anyone from Swindon having problems, just something to be aware of if it's your first visit...
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 00:57:15 »

Just a little joke from earlier, I asked where the match day thread was this morning and whether you had been sacked !  Doh

I see Smiley they can sack me every week, we will win this league anyway
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 01:02:32 »

You got Paolo's beanie SR? Well Jel. How'd you come by

He gave it to a friend of a friend on that final Saturday, the bloke he gave it to passed it on to a close mate who passed it on to my son. Going by the fit, he had a very wide head Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 01:05:59 »

Cheers Si, is that a pub?

Yeah, you'll have to get there early to get a space though. Also you'll still have to queue in traffic towards the bottom of the main road but at least you skip a lot of it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 06:20:36 »

Can't see anything but defeat - Maybe but as much as 3-1 or 4-1.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 08:12:13 »

Looking forward to it being my local game, lovely sunny day here in Zummerzet.

See all those going at The Arrow later.

Going to be very tough game with about 800 Town fans there.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: