Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043410 times)
Levi lapper

« Reply #1500 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 05:45:24 »

Skinner's competence and effectiveness as an MP is not linked to what he has claimed in expenses!

It should be entirely linked to the living standards of his constituents during his tenure- they are obviously still poor as they still vote for him!

You really should not publicly comment on politics as your ignorance is such I am embarrassed for you.

It is Government that sets economic and social policy and therefore influences the living standards of communities, not their constituency MP.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 08:27:20 »

You really should not publicly comment on politics as your ignorance is such I am embarrassed for you.

It is Government that sets economic and social policy and therefore influences the living standards of communities, not their constituency MP.

To be fair it also also somewhat ignorant to suggest that the constituency MP doesn't influence the living standards of communities (although many opposition MP's like to peddle this line as its a good excuse to cover up their own inadequacies or lack of activity). Having worked in two local authorities over the years, one with a very active MP who wanted to achieve change and one who didn't seem bothered the difference was marked in the degree of regeneration and change being achieved, equally its where being a reasonable MP comes into play working with the party in government even if you disagree on many matters to achieve change.

Sadly I think this is one area where Skinner will fall down with his posturing for his acolytes as he seems to piss off those in all parties to a certain degree and thus is not high on their list to work with.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 13:53:18 »

Sadly I think this is one area where Skinner will fall down with his posturing for his acolytes as he seems to piss off those in all parties to a certain degree and thus is not high on their list to work with.
Spot on. 

Always speaking your mind and never compromising your principles sounds so much nobler than swallowing hard and horse-trading but that nobility comes at a cost, usually borne by other people  i.e. your family, your co-workers, your constituents.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 18:54:09 »

and yet his constituents repeatedly and inconveniently elect the obdurate old sod. 
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 10:00:29 »

In fairness, Bolsover has never returned anything other than a labour MP and Skinner recently gets around 50% of the vote against his predecessor's 80%

Skinner for me is the Labour version of Jacob Rees-Mogg, amusing character to have around but wouldn't want him as my local mp.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 10:30:43 »

In fairness, Bolsover has never returned anything other than a labour MP and Skinner recently gets around 50% of the vote against his predecessor's 80%

Skinner for me is the Labour version of Jacob Rees-Mogg, amusing character to have around but wouldn't want him as my local mp.

Skinner and his bro, David, were involved in local politics, well before he went into Parliament.

Clay Cross near Chesterfield was his patch.  Clay Cross became symbolic of the struggle of the idea of localism v central government. 

It's very difficult in these times for us to know just how difficult and poverty ridden life was for most of the working classes through the 19th Century most of the 20th Century....but improvement was affected by collective action.

I was lucky to be a recipient of the benefits of the struggles of those many individuals, unheralded men amd women, and for me Skinner represents that struggle still.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 22:47:21 »

I would classify myself as generally "pro-Europe" - given a compete lack of Nationalism.  However, despite most of the people arguing for getting out generally being complete nut jobs, it really is beginning to grate on me just how obnoxious the Remain campaign seems to be.  Economists can barely manage accurate forecasts for existing economic conditions for much more than 12 months as it is, so how on earth can people publically go so over the top about claims of life in 2030 for example?  For fucks sake, argue the principles, the regulatory framework, the concepts of trade etc.  It's like the pro campaign have gone all Daily Mail in reverse.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 05:26:58 »

George Osborne:

"The conclusions could not be clearer. Britain would be permanently poorer if we left the EU to the tune of £4,300 for every household in the country. That's a fact everyone should think about"

FACT!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 08:40:42 »

It's very difficult in these times for us to know just how difficult and poverty ridden life was for most of the working classes through the 19th Century most of the 20th Century....but improvement was affected by collective action.

To be fair to most of us, unlike you Reg we didn't live through it.....  Wink Cheesy
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 08:47:19 »

I would classify myself as generally "pro-Europe" - given a compete lack of Nationalism.  However, despite most of the people arguing for getting out generally being complete nut jobs, it really is beginning to grate on me just how obnoxious the Remain campaign seems to be.  Economists can barely manage accurate forecasts for existing economic conditions for much more than 12 months as it is, so how on earth can people publically go so over the top about claims of life in 2030 for example?  For fucks sake, argue the principles, the regulatory framework, the concepts of trade etc.  It's like the pro campaign have gone all Daily Mail in reverse.

Both sides deserve each other, I just wish we could have the thing now and get it over with, even if some manner of silver bullet appears most are so entrenched that they are not going to change their mind and instead just spend the next few months having ever more hypothetical and petty bickers about things.

I cannot deny I don't relish the irony of the out side pushing for the referendum and now falling out and possibly delaying the whole thing as certain groups have not been chosen as being 'official'.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 08:57:20 »

Both sides deserve each other, I just wish we could have the thing now and get it over with, even if some manner of silver bullet appears most are so entrenched that they are not going to change their mind and instead just spend the next few months having ever more hypothetical and petty bickers about things.

I cannot deny I don't relish the irony of the out side pushing for the referendum and now falling out and possibly delaying the whole thing as certain groups have not been chosen as being 'official'.

I think this referendum, so far has been brilliant, a chance for detailed arguments both for and against, and then voters can make up their own minds.

The personal issues are what happens in politics...it's often been said your real enemies are in your own party not the opposition.
Barry Scott

« Reply #1511 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 09:16:41 »

The biggest problem I see, as an apolitical layman, is that all they seem to be doing is throwing around scare tactics.

It'd be nice if they actually acted in our interests for once and gave us some proper information, beyond fear and hyperbole, that we can use to decide.

Then there's also the problem that when such hateful cunts as politicians are telling us something's good for us (namely the blue lot), I'm left thinking that if they're recommending something, then it must surely be good for them and their mates, because they certainly give no fucks about the general populace.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 09:36:45 »

The biggest problem I see, as an apolitical layman, is that all they seem to be doing is throwing around scare tactics.

Nah get it right, its only the remain side who are throwing around scare tactics, Farage,Gove and Johnson keep telling us that so it must be true...

It does seem that the campaign is being driven and led (on both sides) by the most obnoxious slimy bastards and thus I suspect much of the population are struggling to engage.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 09:45:00 »

Most people don't give too much thought to politics, so vote for what they perceive rightly or wrongly as self interest. If you can find a catchy slogan, or a decent ad, just like in retail, then you can pick up their votes.

Research has shown that ask people how they voted at the last election a couple of years down the line, and you get a different result, showing that people often forget or think they went a different way.

The issues in this referendum, are massivly complex....so the perception is it needs to be reduced to a couple of defining issues....remain, they'll be an economic hit from Brexit.....leave, a million Muslims will be waved in Merkel style, unless borders are taken back under control.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1514 on: Tuesday, April 19, 2016, 09:48:09 »

Research has shown that ask people how they voted at the last election a couple of years down the line, and you get a different result, showing that people often forget or think they went a different way.

Hence why apparently both in terms of exit polls, but also due to the fuss after the event no one voted Tory in the last election, yet they obtaining a working majority!
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: