Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Retained List  (Read 22286 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 21:01:27 »

I think we should keep Hutton.

If he goes our fans will be happy but we will replace him with a steady Rob Hunt type and in 6 months time people who were glad to see the back of Hutton will be complaining the replacement offers nothing going forward.

Never happy.
It's what many Town fans do. Retrospective reassessment

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 22:06:31 »

If he goes our fans will be happy but we will replace him with a steady Rob Hunt type and in 6 months time people who were glad to see the back of Hutton will be complaining the replacement offers nothing going forward.

Never happy.

Only if he wants to stay, otherwise we end up with Louis Reed mark 2
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 22:54:57 »

Never happy.

Fans moaning like fuck after getting exactly what they wanted?
Never happen.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 23:13:56 »

Only if he wants to stay, otherwise we end up with Louis Reed mark 2

Hardly.

Reed was crap.
Reed looked even worse second season because he didn’t have McKirdy & Payne to come and get the ball off of him and stop his monotonous passing back and forth with Conroy. He just showed us how limited and one dimensional he was - nothing to do with his attitude or commitment or wanting to be here - just a massively overrated player.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, May 18, 2023, 23:37:13 »

Never happy.

Depends, if we're playing 3 at the back then both are pretty useless to us as one can't defend and the other can't attack. If we're going 4 at the back then a Rob Hunt is miles better than Hutton and Hutton would have to play in midfield or not at all.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 08:04:04 »

I like Hutton, but I'm a bit of a sucker for a wingback that can deliver a great cross. (Nicky Summerbee anyone?) I think in league 2 you can probably just about get away with him not being that great at defending. Hopefully we have enough ammunition at the other end of the pitch to be able to counter it.

That said, if it's true he's wanted to leave since January then it makes sense to cash in now as he's on a few clubs' shoppings lists.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DMC

« Reply #141 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 08:40:49 »

Keeping Austin will be just as important. A 20 goal striker in this league really does help.

Him staying and a half decent defender at right back will be enough for me. His assists were great i get all that but let's try and get that from midfield and not leave us drawing 4-4 with rochdale but iy's ok because our RB got asists.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 08:46:41 »

Most teams that do well are primarily solid at the back. We aren't doing that well and are far from solid at the back! So, an obvious area to address.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 08:51:01 »

I like Hutton, but I'm a bit of a sucker for a wingback that can deliver a great cross. (Nicky Summerbee anyone?) I think in league 2 you can probably just about get away with him not being that great at defending.

Ours GA tally this year would suggest not, albeit might be assisted with a more settled and composed back 3.

Keeping Austin will be just as important. A 20 goal striker in this league really does help.

Indeed, but will, I suspect, entirely depend on his fitness, he is likley to hoover up a fair chuck of the wage budget and do we want to be spending that on a player who cannot last 90 mins* nor manage 2 games in a week meaning he would likely miss a fair few immediately?

No idea whether the issues related to a poor preseason in Oz or age catching up, albeit he ain't that old (Shearer managed 22 goals in 37 games in the PL at the same age and he had his own fare share of pretty shitty injuries over his career) and pace was never his thing, but I suspect these are all issues the staff will be looking at.

* This might be offset a bit if they set the team up to play to his strengths and he stops trying to play centre midfield.  
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #144 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:00:07 »

Not according to old Reg it didn't matter Smiley the number of times I said exactly what you said and Reg would counter that argument with we need more goals all over the team.

In reality almost every team that has a 20+ goal a season striker wins promotion or gets at least into the play offs, get 2 on 20+ and you win the title.

Look at this season in league 2.

3 strikers scored 20+ Cook - Bradford, Hoskins - Northampton, Dennis - Carlisle.

But to counter that, champions Orient only had 1 player score double figures and Stevenage only had 2 in double figures.

I would like Austn to stay and we play to his strengths, if we get balls to him and crosses in hes easily a 30 goal a season striker in L2 with the poor standard of keeping at this level.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DMC

« Reply #145 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:30:21 »

Ours GA tally this year would suggest not, albeit might be assisted with a more settled and composed back 3.
Indeed, but will, I suspect, entirely depend on his fitness, he is likley to hoover up a fair chuck of the wage budget and do we want to be spending that on a player who cannot last 90 mins* nor manage 2 games in a week meaning he would likely miss a fair few immediately?

No idea whether the issues related to a poor preseason in Oz or age catching up, albeit he ain't that old (Shearer managed 22 goals in 37 games in the PL at the same age and he had his own fare share of pretty shitty injuries over his career) and pace was never his thing, but I suspect these are all issues the staff will be looking at.

* This might be offset a bit if they set the team up to play to his strengths and he stops trying to play centre midfield.  
He will not be on that big a salry believe it or not so that is good. I know the year fucked him over last year with no pre season and also moving twice. I think him staying is massive as it's the experience in the squad and if we can use him properly and manage the game time i think he showed that even half fit he added goals.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:46:43 »

List today apparently
adje

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:54:41 »

Hardly.

Reed was crap.
Reed looked even worse second season because he didn’t have McKirdy & Payne to come and get the ball off of him and stop his monotonous passing back and forth with Conroy. He just showed us how limited and one dimensional he was - nothing to do with his attitude or commitment or wanting to be here - just a massively overrated player.

Which,I think proves my point about retrospective reassessment. I agree with what you say and the departures of Reed and Gladwin in Jan
were the reasons given by many fans for our ultimate failure
« Last Edit: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:57:21 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 10:56:39 »

List today apparently

Don’t expect too many surprises and expect “contract offered.”
DMC

« Reply #149 on: Friday, May 19, 2023, 11:08:42 »

Don’t expect too many surprises and expect “contract offered.”