Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morris gone  (Read 27909 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:02:36 »

From the wording of the club statement - ‘the hunt for his replacement is well underway’ - sounds as if the cull has been in the offing for a while. Hope this means the new man is in situ soon.

Have you learned absolutely nothing from our previous managerial appointments?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:04:51 »

Agree completely. The trust claim to be the 'critical friend' but the membership just arent seeing it, no doubt we will be told the points are being raised in private  Zzz

This is how it should be done -

https://lufctrust.com/article/trust-statement-on-the-2023-24-season-ticket-price-increase

At this point I genuinely think we need a new fan body. The Trust are absolutely compromised and the OSC seems to be a quasi-official wing of the club. The latter would be fine if it wasn't for the former.

The Trust should be reconstituted as a body that only deals with their part ownership of the County Ground. "The County Ground Trust" for example!

That then leaves a lane open for a group to actually start holding this shit blizzard of a club to account.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:18:20 »

At this point I genuinely think we need a new fan body. The Trust are absolutely compromised and the OSC seems to be a quasi-official wing of the club. The latter would be fine if it wasn't for the former.

The Trust should be reconstituted as a body that only deals with their part ownership of the County Ground. "The County Ground Trust" for example!

That then leaves a lane open for a group to actually start holding this shit blizzard of a club to account.

I feel the same- but hesitant to suggest as i cant put my money where my mouth is as i dont have enough time to give to it!

If anyone is thinking of setting up, this is a good place to start

https://thefsa.org.uk/fan-resources/resource-training/supporters-trusts-training-resource/setting-up-a-new-supporters-trust/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:49:03 »

Fuck me, I leave you lot alone for a long weekend and come back to this!

FWIW I wasn't in the Morris out camp, but I equally was far from his biggest fan, however one looks at it his record here was shite and he was lucky in getting a lot of rope from much of the fan base which I suspect would not have been afforded to someone who wasn't a 'name', frankly, setting aside his basic football managing abilities, I want a manager who seems to want to be here and has the benefit of the club as his sole objective (or is at least bright enough to appear that way), Morris always seemed to give the impression that we should be grateful that he was here and that he was doing us some sort of massive favour. No doubt we will have a friendly interview in the next few days where its all blamed on the club, the fans, the players etc and Morris paints himself as some sort of foiled and frustrated Guardiola.

His lack of basic self awareness really being brought home by moaning that his players were too inexperienced and that's why we were shite (not noticing that exactly the same charge could be lodged at him), likewise all the bleating about facilities (either in interviews or briefings to ITK's) just points to someone who seemed to not do any even basic due diligence before he took the job, so again just rank naivety or a life where things have always been done for you.

We seem to one again have rumours sploshing about that we don't have a pot to piss in, whilst simultaneously rumours that we have paid Morris and Brand, off, so one of those can't be true, its getting like a choose your own adventure book with people choosing the rumour they want to believe as fact to suit their ingrained impression of the club. FWIW if they have got Morris and Brand off the books without paying out a fortune it looks like pretty astute business, much as with getting compo for Lindsey, yet they took a kicking for that as well!

Turning to the Sandro situation (The Meghan Markle of Swindon Town FC) and the whole 'why is he still here narrative', I don't imagine that anyone knows the specific terms of his contract, I assume its not like a managers one which seem to be very easy to break so my suspicion is that they can't easily get rid until the season is over, at which stage I assume that like most employees he will have KPI's or similar in which if he hasn't met can be used to lever him out.

As for yet another fan group (possibly the Swindon Town Popular Peoples Front), people are free to set up what they want, Hanners gets a lot of (understandable) stick but he got the profile and access because he got off his arse and did something, that route is open for all who want to hold the club to account. 
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:53:28 by horlock07 » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 08:50:54 »

Don’t get your hopes up, this was at the bottom of the statement announcing Garner had joined Charlton.

‘ We also want to reassure fans that the search for a new Head Coach is well underway and we hope to make an appointment soon. ’
Ah. I withdraw my optimistic outlook.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 09:21:01 »

Agree, and think that its better if trust now just focus on ground and getting fans direct debits in etc and make sure its all going smooth with refurbishments etc.

Its an interesting topic as was watching Fools Rush In podcast last night, question was asked' if you can still Trust the Trust', the usual happy clapper on the panel became extremely defensive at this (bang In his rights to do so, this trust done an incredible job in 2021 summer) but I'm starting to agree that we can't.

Not sure a new supporters group/trust would get enough attention/repsect/backing but not opposed to it, and think it would be beneficial, to have a separate 'unofficial' group to ask necessary questions when needed
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 09:39:34 »

Agree, and think that its better if trust now just focus on ground and getting fans direct debits in etc and make sure its all going smooth with refurbishments etc.

Its an interesting topic as was watching Fools Rush In podcast last night, question was asked' if you can still Trust the Trust', the usual happy clapper on the panel became extremely defensive at this (bang In his rights to do so, this trust done an incredible job in 2021 summer) but I'm starting to agree that we can't.

Not sure a new supporters group/trust would get enough attention/repsect/backing but not opposed to it, and think it would be beneficial, to have a separate 'unofficial' group to ask necessary questions when needed

Not looking to stir shit but did they? Was it their job to get into bed with Clem?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 09:42:11 »

I think we were all desperate to get out of bed with Power.

Good knows what "Able" (Andy Curran?) would have done..
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:08:04 »

Not a happy clapper but I'm going to balance up some of the criticism made of Clem.

1.  Power may have been a football person but left to his own devices would, imo, have bankrupted the club and seen points deductions/ relegations and so on.

2.  The transparency claim of Clem's may have been naive and left him a hostage to fortune but he IS transparent compared to his predecessor.  

3.  Those who would hold Clem a hostage to fortune about areas where there has been no transparency - or a suspension of it - are right, understandably let down but also a tad fairytale imo. You don't put or loan the kind of dosh Clem has put into the club without wanting to be the boss of your own train set.  

4.  If you're digging holes (as has happened) don't give well wishers (and rivals) a running commentary on your thinking.  What do people expect "I'm planning getting rid of Sandro but these are the contract terms and costs and I think the best way to do it is leave it till season end because xyz"?  I find Zav's involvement very discomfiting but can anyone point out any specific harm he has caused?

5.  Whatever the ins and outs of Morris' departure, we are surely in a far better position than having kept him and then had to sack him 5-15 games in.  Either STFC (or Morris) has been decisive.  Who cares which now.

6.  Write offs may have been required but the eradication of club creditors (local trade) looks to me to have been a good priority as we look to improve our image with local businesses.

7.  Clem has honoured his part of owning the ground - and the co-ownership is a kind of golden share for the Trust.  Actually well done Trust (and of course Eady).

[  Trust are too cosy?  I happen to agree but you're not going to get a Fan's Shadow Board demanding AND getting answers to why is Sandro still here mid term etc?  Critical yes but also friend - that is the way.  Can we not vote the personnel out with the Trust?  We hardly need some charismatic, visionary supporter who can run the club better but unfortunately doesn't have much money or football experience.  Another "organisation" would be like a Tower of Babel and wouldn't get any better answers.  I am happy with the combo of OSC and the Trust.  I think LSPOD performs a useful, critical role outside the official set up.  As do we  Cheesy  ]

We may have to fill gaps with rumour but I endorse nearly all of the criticisms made.  The footballing errors have translated into financial cost - most recently manifested by poor season ticket sales, let alone another season of struggle to exit the EFLs basement.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:13:08 by RedRag » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 10:24:18 »

I was not a fan of Morris but thought we would let him sign the players he wanted in the Summer and make an attempt next season to get out of this shit league. I was willing to give him time to sort the shambles out.

The bad stuff....he liked 3 at the back, it didnt work with us and result only improved when we went back to a traditional 4, yet he still persisted in playing 3, sometimes from the start, sometimes midway through games.

The players often didnt seem to know what formation they were playing or what positions they should be playing in.

He tried to shoehorn players into positions that did not suit them at all, there are several examples of that, its like he never watched games or training and just randomly stuck a pin in to pick players.

Apparently he fell out with almost every player, only ever criticising them and never praising them.

His substitutions seem to be so difficult to understand, if you were a conspiracy theorist then you could make a valid point that Morris almost deliberatly threw awaygames from winning positions with silly substitutions, Saturday being a prime example, looking fully in control until the first sub.

He was also one of the most boring and dull communicators we have had, who only every blames everyone else, the only other being comparable was Mark Chuckles Cooper.

Still at least we have time to get the right man in now without any rush, make sure we do due dilligence on any applicant and get the right man for the job.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:11:20 »

With both Morris and Sandra going, it looks as if the ‘project’ will be dumped as well - good riddance.

If this is the case, I presume the new man is destined to be of a more pragmatic nature. Not sure Artell fits that particular bill.

Makes me think Flynn could be next for the poisoned chalice.
Lambo75

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:44:52 »

Seems to me that the club are fed up of the negativity and are looking for a positive news story in order to shift season tickets, which are absolutely needed to be sold to keep the club sustainable.

I've not renewed my 4, and I'm not going to yet ( I will do by end of May ) as we've all been here before and seen nothing to excite. This time though it does feel different, it started with the program notes from Rob Angus which in hindsight gave a hint that they would wield the axe.

I hate all this talk of washed up managers, currently jobless. Most are jobless because they aren't good enough.
I don't have enough knowledge to think too far left of field, but as a young lad, the Glen Hoddle days were the most magical. It feels like Burnley took this approach with Vincent Kompany. I'd like to think there is enough out there that would also give us the success we crave from pro's that have done their coaching badges whilst playing and are ready made to cut their teeth at this level.

I kinda think Morris had the majority of this, but he was such a miserable tosser that no-one took to him, and the players started to revolt against him.

So who is recently retired? Or about to retire....James Milner perhaps? Not the most interesting, but renown for being super fit. Jack Wilshere, Fabian Delph, Jermain Defoe. Would take a heck of wage shift, but we didn't pay Morris & Brand peanuts.
Something along those lines would get me more excited than a cautious welcome to the likes of Artell, Appleton etc.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 11:47:24 »

Mark Delany’s name got a lot of traction in the summer - not seen him turn up anywhere else afaik
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 12:10:17 »

I know not many will agree with me but this is my thought on the new manager situation.

Not Appleton, doubt he would be accepted by Town fans from his previous connections.
Not Robinson, see above.
Not Cowleys, hoof (ask Huddersfield and Pompey fans) had 2 good seasons at Lincoln.
Not Flynn, hoof (ask Walsall fans) had 1 good season at Newport.
Not Clarke, mentally unstable but with the right DoF may work.
Artell would be my prefered choice of those linked so far as he has had nearly 5 seasons and played some good football but is also intelligent.

Piccareta is always linked and was guest of the club only a couple of weeks back, has been coaching in Italy with SPAL in Serie B in Italy.

For me we need "some" managerial experience and not just coaching or academy, we need someone who can mix formations but who is capable of looking at what we have got and playing them in their best positions rather than shoehorning them into their own favourite formation. Morris and Lindsey both very guilty of that (as was Garner sometimes).

Someone with more than just assistant jobs and not previously only employed as an academy coach.

We need someone who will engage with the fans and not only moan or hide away all the time.

Someone who understand what this division and the one above is all about, and, how to get out of it but without resorting to only a hoofball style but can mix it when needed and utilise set pieces far better and make us defend again.

Whoever we choose must have been successful in this league and maybe the league above for me, but will probably have failed previously in their last job despite previously being successful at the same club.

The bar is not set too high currently so lets see what the next few weeks bring.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2023, 12:23:28 »

Mark Delany’s name got a lot of traction in the summer - not seen him turn up anywhere else afaik

Surely Duncan Ferguson is going to be available soon?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: