Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clem'll Fix It  (Read 26406 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:18:19 »

I do wonder if Clem is actually the man with the money, or if he is just the public face and that’s why we see so much of him.
and if he is, then the question becomes about a lack of money!

he's come in, stopped us going under and converted a lot of external debt

but he's not minted AFAIK. I have no desire to see him put more money in than he should and risk his own status.

does he think he can make the club sustainable and successful alone, or is he ultimately going to need outside help?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:21:29 »

Quote from: 4D
Not sure where this Clem doubting is coming from  Huh?

personal opinion - there's s always been a bit of a question as to the people in the background that are of dubious previous nature or a bit unknown as to how they are involved.

Just over time Swindon hasn't really given us much warm and fuzzy stuff, suspicion is the default setting.

It's always going to bubble to the surface even the team aren't performing, and sink when it is
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:24:40 »

I do wonder if Whelan's potential revelation will be along the lines of a minority stake being sold for bit of an investment boost, which is quite common in the bottom two tiers now. The latest memorandum changes to the parent company focus heavily on share transferring and some shares were recently created too, so there is a bit of noise despite it previously being alluded to as standard business practices etc. Wonder whether we may see something in the news in the coming weeks, especially as the CG purchase is completed this Friday, as anything beforehand may have complicated the sale.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:40:07 »

Why does Clem need to step back and Rob moved roles, what have they done wrong, do you know what they do an a day to day basis ?

I don't get this either, not sure what either have done that could not be addressed with some internal tweaking rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water, the general marketing and PR needs tidying up rather than the cost of paying another senior executive. Commercially the club seems better run than it has done for years. The main problem is with the football side, which assuming its being run as its suggested Clem and RA have at best a peripheral involvement with, why employ a DoF and bark yourself. 
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 14:00:15 »

commercially in terms of getting companies as partners, etc, great

commercially as in fan (customer) facing, not so good. examples
  - ST on sale when the finance options aren't in place
 - not answering about mascot packages
 - not making it easy to change a wrong sized shirt over the phone
- 3 mile queues for half time food/drink

this type of thing.

I think it's fair to say behind the scenes is somewhat stretched. I'm sure everyone works damn hard and they only have a limited time
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 15:16:57 »

At times i thought I was the only one having concerns with something not right behind the scenes.
That said I have a South African mate here in Auckland who's golf partner works for Axis NZ.
In conversation the golfing mate openly states Clem is the man. The real deal and mad on football.
A picture tells a thousand words and seeing his face in stands dejected at Vale Park last year told me that either he knew the major rebuild that was coming due to the loss of promotion or I am now out of money to get success on the pitch as well as getting further involved in buying the County Ground.
My thoughts for what they are worth.
Well healed yes rich no.
Does Clen want need to get investment in yes. Will he No.
Lack of trust. is a most likely  the issue here.
He is Clem Morfunni and he will do it his way
What other choice is there...??
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 15:17:42 »

I don't think the moneyball model should be completely disgarded either, i believe it is the right model to follow just in a completley different way to the way we approached it.

Bring in the right people to implement it, gradually over the next 5 years.  Brighton/Brentford didn't try to do it all in the first season, which is pretty much what we tried to do.  Just throwing it out now after 8-10 months of trying is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  If you implement say 20% of your player recruitment with that model in mind in year 1 and slowly increase over time, whilst still having the flexibility to bend the model when required, i believe the end result will be much more successful.

Key to this though is having the right people to implement it, backed up with some "football people" as part of the operating model.

I get that everyone seems to have been burnt by this experience and would prefer to bin it off and go back to the ways of before, but let's face it, we didn't do a brilliant job at that either, otherwise we would be in the Championship now.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 15:24:48 »

commercially in terms of getting companies as partners, etc, great

commercially as in fan (customer) facing, not so good. examples
  - ST on sale when the finance options aren't in place
 - not answering about mascot packages
 - not making it easy to change a wrong sized shirt over the phone
- 3 mile queues for half time food/drink

this type of thing.

I think it's fair to say behind the scenes is somewhat stretched. I'm sure everyone works damn hard and they only have a limited time

I don't disagree but again in the main they are things that the CEO/owner should have fuck all involvement in and thus getting shot of them will make no difference.

Looking at this they do seem stretched, https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/club/whos-who/ (behind the scenes tab) and possibly having a bloke who is already very tied up in LIV Golf managing many of the things you note above is not helping!  Wink Cheesy
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 15:27:58 »

I don't think the moneyball model should be completely disgarded either, i believe it is the right model to follow just in a completley different way to the way we approached it.

Bring in the right people to implement it, gradually over the next 5 years.  Brighton/Brentford didn't try to do it all in the first season, which is pretty much what we tried to do.  Just throwing it out now after 8-10 months of trying is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  If you implement say 20% of your player recruitment with that model in mind in year 1 and slowly increase over time, whilst still having the flexibility to bend the model when required, i believe the end result will be much more successful.

Key to this though is having the right people to implement it, backed up with some "football people" as part of the operating model.

I get that everyone seems to have been burnt by this experience and would prefer to bin it off and go back to the ways of before, but let's face it, we didn't do a brilliant job at that either, otherwise we would be in the Championship now.
I'm keen we retain the model as well. Logic isn't flawed at all, just needs to be executed better.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 15:38:30 »

You need the backbone of the team there already
Then introduce young prospects.
This scheme has been introduced to quickly
That said if Macdonald had worked out Frenchy not been injured Charlie Austin not required and Gladwin stayed and his wages needed to p⅝ay Austin's...many other possible reasons why this season just has not worked.
And the cheap and poor decision of appointing Lindsay.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 17:56:18 »

Pre Season friendlies announced early and preferably abroad (inc Scotland and Ireland) so we can have our own version of international football.

Clems Army!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 18:13:29 »

Wales? Merthyr away  Grin
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 18:59:25 »

Why does Clem need to step back and Rob moved roles, what have they done wrong, do you know what they do an a day to day basis ?

It is unusual for an owner to be so front and centre. Case in point: who knows the Spurs owner Joe Lewis? No one. Daniel Levy is the day to day face of the club. Clem being so involved makes him a lightning rod for criticism, and as a result disgruntled fans could end up agitating for 'regime change' rather than just pushing for a manager/CEO to be sacked. Basically, it is wise to have a bullet proof vest between an owner and the fans.

On Rob, I think most fans would agree that we are woefully underpowered in the 'football administration' department. The club is a shambles, as anyone with even a vaguely critical eye can see. We need someone with experience of running a football club in charge. Rob isn't that guy but he has some great skills and experience and he's absolutely worth retaining for the reasons I gave. CFO is a much better fit for him IMO.

As I said, this thread is for solutions not problems!

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 19:14:02 »

I’m sorry, but the age old chant by disgruntled fans ‘Sack the board, sack the board, sack the board’ is as ridiculous now as it has always been. No owner worth his salt would take any notice. Fans never forced Power out - in fact,even though plenty recognised him as an out and out rogue from the start I don’t remember fans protesting against him. The only reason Power legged it was financial - his past was catching up with him.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, March 25, 2023, 17:38:02 »

If Clem is reviewing our season, how can he see recruitment/squad construction as anything other than a s***show? Likely to be one our lowest ever league finishes, and that's in front of 9,000 per game. Maddening. Getting out of this league, or at least making a tilt at promotion, really shouldn't be hard for a club like ours. I can see season tickets dropping to 4,000.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: