Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28145 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:17:41 »

I disagree he is as good as most of this lot. A squad player maybe, but its more about options. Also i'm not calling a player that injured a colleague so he could play instead a good character.

I'm basing that on what we've seen here and his career history. He's been given the captain's armband here late in games, seems a leader on the pitch, came across well in the OSC interview and is clearly liked by the other players.

I'm not going to hold him up for making one duff decision chasing a lifelong dream as a teenager. He captained Liverpool through the age groups and captained Middlesbrough U23s.  Regardless of what we think of him as a defender enough top coaches who know a lot more about football than you and I have clearly felt he is a good enough character to give him the armband.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:31:33 »

Yeah see people going mad on Twitter that Morris doesn’t know his budget (so he says) and that we haven’t started talking to OOC players.

Firstly, I’d imagine the exact figure of the budget will be linked to season ticket sales, any player sales and our released / retained list. So won’t be set in stone in *checks* April.

Very few if any OOC players are going to sign anything as early as *checks* April. They will all likely wait till at least July when they are officially free agents and have a chance to see what other offers come their way. They will most likely sign for whoever will pay them best. That’s all they care about.

Same fans moaning we haven’t started talking to the OOC players with regards to new contracts are the same people who see no positives in this squad and want a complete rebuild. So even if we did start offering contracts in April and the players actually signed them in April - these same fans would then be moaning that we shouldn’t have kept the players we kept.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Thursday, April 20, 2023, 18:33:49 »

I'd be more than happy for the fax machine to be one of the many items needing repair right now.  Williams is not going to sign right now anyway, Austin may decide time is up.  Who else needs signing up for another year?

Start working on the target list instead.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 11:16:53 »

You would hope they have already identified some targets, the trouble is if it is Sandro that is identifying them from his spreadsheet then we maybe stuffed already.

You would hope there is still a chance Sandro will be binned, and replaced with someone with some football club experience who role isn't to find players but to assist the manager and other footballing depts with football related matters.

I'd like to know how other clubs get on, check out players on Wyscout then I assume they rely on their scouts and then check data and the manager does his homework on the players etc to ensure they are not disruptive, what they are like under pressure etc etc, then make an approach
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 11:24:52 »

You would hope they have already identified some targets, the trouble is if it is Sandro that is identifying them from his spreadsheet then we maybe stuffed already.

You would hope there is still a chance Sandro will be binned, and replaced with someone with some football club experience who role isn't to find players but to assist the manager and other footballing depts with football related matters.

I'd like to know how other clubs get on, check out players on Wyscout then I assume they rely on their scouts and then check data and the manager does his homework on the players etc to ensure they are not disruptive, what they are like under pressure etc etc, then make an approach

I think it varies. Other clubs go down the same data route but do it very well. Luton and Franchise are two good examples, think they have an in-house team (not just one) of analysts to support the recruitment system headed up by experienced people in this field which is used in combination with in person scouting. The data used as more of a way to trim down a list of potential targets more than finding rough diamonds. Luton are a very good example actually of how it can be done right, they’ve picked up a mixture of experienced and younger players and are knocking on the door of the Premier League in doing so. The obvious difference being these clubs have the money to invest in these players to begin with which is the key to it.

They also have the money to invest in a padded out recruitment team of analysts/scouts to get as best as they can in these roles. We seem to be offering peanuts in the analyst role which won’t attract good quality, this seems counter intuitive for a club wanting to go down the data route although I guess they could be outsourcing this from elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Friday, April 21, 2023, 11:27:54 by UTR » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 11:31:18 »

I was having a look around League 2 as a kind of comparison, and it's probably unfair as Bradford are a bigger club than us, but having beaten them on Tuesday I picked them.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/club/whos-who/
https://www.bradfordcityafc.com/club/whos-who/

It's interesting that Bradford appear to have a quite structured recruitment team, with a Loans manager, and 3 regional scouts whereas according to our who's who, we don't have anyone. (why isn't Les Cafferty listed?) I thought I heard Morris alluding to a recruitment team, this can't just be Sandro surely?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 12:18:16 »

Carlisles whos who is pretty comprehensive.

https://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/2023/february/club-staff/
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 12:37:02 »

It really is stark when you dig into it. I'm sure they are all good hardworking people and I'm commenting on the set up not the individuals but:

Our CEO had never worked in a football club before the Clem takeover.
Our Finance Director is triple hatting as Head of Retail and Head of Ticketing. Never worked in football before getting this gig post-Clem takeover.
Our Club Secretary is under 30 and has less than 5 years career experience. He was doing Academy Analysis 3 years ago.
There is no one at the club with the word 'Marketing' in their title.

This is a shoestring operation, achieving shoestring results accordingly.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 12:37:20 »

I was having a look around League 2 as a kind of comparison, and it's probably unfair as Bradford are a bigger club than us, but having beaten them on Tuesday I picked them.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/club/whos-who/
https://www.bradfordcityafc.com/club/whos-who/

It's interesting that Bradford appear to have a quite structured recruitment team, with a Loans manager, and 3 regional scouts whereas according to our who's who, we don't have anyone. (why isn't Les Cafferty listed?) I thought I heard Morris alluding to a recruitment team, this can't just be Sandro surely?

I heard he went ages ago, dont know how true though
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 12:43:15 »

I heard he went ages ago, dont know how true though

He actually seemed OK, but I guess we don't know who does what and has a say on what. Think he scouted Lavinier.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 12:44:29 »

Ed Brand is a big name.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 13:02:21 »

He actually seemed OK, but I guess we don't know who does what and has a say on what. Think he scouted Lavinier.

Yeah he’s a really nice bloke. Was really good to me when i was having my issues last year
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #297 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 14:29:18 »

Ed Brand is a big name.

Is it fuck, it's only 7 letters for fuck sake. Even I've got more letters than that
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 14:48:57 »

Is it fuck, it's only 7 letters for fuck sake. Even I've got more letters than that

Yeah, but in 114pt font
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Friday, April 21, 2023, 19:52:58 »

Williams posts a load of Wrexham merch on Instagram....
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: