Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next seasons rebuild 23/24  (Read 28147 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:09:02 »

I’d actually like to see Adeloye get some game time between now and the end of the season.
Most have written him off but he’s hardly been given a chance. I’d rather see him on the pitch than Jephcott who almost certainly won’t be here next season.

It's not a bad point at all, at the very least gets him in the shop window for a summer move.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:22:02 »

The fact that Jody Morris and Ed Brand have agreed to the job suggests things are not a complete disaster,

I think its obviously the case that something has been aid to them to agree to come here, but its worth bearing in mind that as it stands Morris's win % here is way worse than SL's was (despite it being broadly agreed that he has bought in a few players better than we had before), plus rather frighteningly considering all the gloating about it, SL's win rate at Crawley is better than Morris's is here.

Morris undoubtedly needs time, but bizarrely he ain't doing as well with the same tools SL had.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #77 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:24:20 »

I’d actually like to see Adeloye get some game time between now and the end of the season.
Most have written him off but he’s hardly been given a chance. I’d rather see him on the pitch than Jephcott who almost certainly won’t be here next season.
If we play with Charlie as a (eefectivly) lone striker in a 433/451 formation then I would like to see Adeloye come off the bench for Charlie after the usual 70th minute to get him at least some game time, there may be a player in there (I remain unconvinced myself) but at bare minimum he will be in the shop window.

Of the OOC players and borderline ones, ignoring FBT, Clayton, Wakeling, Cain and hopefully extending Austin for another year.

I would offload Aguiar as he really hasn't kicked on this season and had poor loan at Torquay.

We have much dead wood in this squad, I would almost start afresh barring a few players. There will be a large turnover of players this Summer.

I would try and sign McEachran, Lavinier, Brewitt and Tomlinson as priority.

I also still think there is a player in Shade somewhere but it will take a good manager to get the best out of him. Similar with RHM shows some great touches and pace but needs to work on his final ball, very similarl to Shade. Both would be handy impact subs.

Personally I would like to see us extend Williams contract but fear he will leave us for higher wages, probably to Wrexham I would think.

Hutton has had some great games but way more poor and if a team in L1 want to sign him for a fee then I would let him go, hes not consistant enough and since deadline day he has been pretty poor in 90% of games. Lavinier is a ready made replacement.

Keep Khan as despite his hot headedness at times hes a decent player certainly for league 2.

Release Iandolo, Harries, Baudry, Darcy, Aguiar, Adeloye, Parsons, Massey and Dabre.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:41:24 »

If we play with Charlie as a (eefectivly) lone striker in a 433/451 formation then I would like to see Adeloye come off the bench for Charlie after the usual 70th minute to get him at least some game time, there may be a player in there (I remain unconvinced myself) but at bare minimum he will be in the shop window.

Of the OOC players and borderline ones, ignoring FBT, Clayton, Wakeling, Cain and hopefully extending Austin for another year.

I would offload Aguiar as he really hasn't kicked on this season and had poor loan at Torquay.

We have much dead wood in this squad, I would almost start afresh barring a few players. There will be a large turnover of players this Summer.

I would try and sign McEachran, Lavinier, Brewitt and Tomlinson as priority.

I also still think there is a player in Shade somewhere but it will take a good manager to get the best out of him. Similar with RHM shows some great touches and pace but needs to work on his final ball, very similarl to Shade. Both would be handy impact subs.

Personally I would like to see us extend Williams contract but fear he will leave us for higher wages, probably to Wrexham I would think.

Hutton has had some great games but way more poor and if a team in L1 want to sign him for a fee then I would let him go, hes not consistant enough and since deadline day he has been pretty poor in 90% of games. Lavinier is a ready made replacement.

Keep Khan as despite his hot headedness at times hes a decent player certainly for league 2.

Release Iandolo, Harries, Baudry, Darcy, Aguiar, Adeloye, Parsons, Massey and Dabre.

Agree with pretty much all of this, the one glaring thing when you consider the 'model' is that have any of the young players (either at the club before last summer or brought in to develop) actually improved or kicked on over the last 9-12 months, if anything they show promise but then seem to get shitter. Now that may be down to some of them being pushed into 1st team and lots of games too soon, but if not how are they going to improve anyway, we don't have stiffs any more so its a rare behind closed doors friendly at best and we don't appear to have any sort of structured arrangements with local non league clubs, so the loans always seem incredibly haphazard and has a player had a decent loan spell anywhere, and come back better or more ready for 1st team, since Twine at Newport?

Add into the equation we seem to be extremely susceptible to injuries. I am not really sure what is going on behind the scenes?

I'd rather Clem put his head above the parapet, lead a press conference like an actual owner and lay down what changes he's going to implement.

Do owners lead press conferences? I can't think of any owners who are particularly vocal bar the ones who spout self promoting shite and love the sound of their own voice (So that guy from Peterborough and perhaps Vince?)
« Last Edit: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:43:34 by horlock07 » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #79 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:51:22 »

Add into the equation we seem to be extremely susceptible to injuries. I am not really sure what is going on behind the scenes?
This part does concern me a lot.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:58:00 »

Do owners lead press conferences? I can't think of any owners who are particularly vocal bar the ones who spout self promoting shite and love the sound of their own voice (So that guy from Peterborough and perhaps Vince?)

Clem is painfully shy, he ain't going to be leading press conferences.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 11:58:51 »

From what I’ve heard Clem wants to model us on what Brentford have done, the problem we have is that works if you can sell players for high(ish) fees, and that doesn’t seem to work in L2.

What we need to do is build a team/squad to get us out of this league first and then get established in league 1 first
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 12:39:43 »

The attractions are obvious. Brentford fans, in the beginning, were very critical as any decent player was sold if there was a profit to be made. Slowly but surely, better quality players were bought to replace those departing - although the punts started costing money as they weren’t off the radar. No doubt they recruited some players that didn’t work out.

We’re at the stage now where, after one season of it, the fans are getting restless. This approach isn’t going to work overnight but fans are notoriously impatient.

I’d like to know what others think the approach should be.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #83 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 12:45:38 »

The attractions are obvious. Brentford fans, in the beginning, were very critical as any decent player was sold if there was a profit to be made. Slowly but surely, better quality players were bought to replace those departing - although the punts started costing money as they weren’t off the radar. No doubt they recruited some players that didn’t work out.

We’re at the stage now where, after one season of it, the fans are getting restless. This approach isn’t going to work overnight but fans are notoriously impatient.

We, currently, would accept that, buy a player for cheap and sell him on for a nice profit, we have ALWAYS done this.

But these decent players can only really perform consistantly in a decent performing team that brings the best out of them which often comes with a few more experienced heads to guide them.

The failing point of the format though is that when you have an entire team of youngsters that are underperforming so you end with the worst of both worlds.

No quality on the pitch and a team full of unsaleable players who will just be released for free from a team in the lower reaches of the football league and near the bottom of the table, no club would want to buy them for money.

Pretty much where we are now.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 12:54:13 »

I look at it like a sliding scale.

You don’t 100% go for punts to develop. Similarly you go the other way and sign 100% experienced pros.

Like this season feels a bit 80/20 when maybe it should have been closer to 60/40.
Then as the older more experienced 40% move on. The 60% with some games under their belt move up  (and get trimmed down) to be the 40% and you intake 60% again.

Or even split it squad wise in 3. So you have 33% experienced pros at or close to their peak with no resale value. 33% early 20s with 50-100 games under their belt who we are trying to improve and 33% teenagers with no experience we are looking to develop and slowly phase in.

For example, unlike most - I still think there is a player in Darcy but feel he’s ended up being over used in what is pretty much his first full season. We’ve also chopped and changed formation so much he’s played in a variety of different positions which probably hasn’t helped.

If for example him and Williams had played their role similar to Williams and Gladwin did last season maybe he’d look a bit better for the slow build.

Flip side is, Wakeling has looked decent for the most part. Would he have looked as good playing bit parts.

Some players need blooding slowly and some don’t I guess. However, for a few reasons I don’t think we’ve been in a position or chosen to look how to blood each younger player specifically
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 12:59:55 »

FBT, Clayton, Austin, Tomlinson, McEachran, Brynn do everything we can to keep.

Would also like to keep Brewitt, think Cain potentially could be a good player in there but not shown it yet. Wakeling is here anyway and definitely shown he can perform.

Most of the rest are either obvious release/let gos or there are issues there (Khan discipline. Lavinier injuries, etc.)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:00:09 »

From what I’ve heard Clem wants to model us on what Brentford have done, the problem we have is that works if you can sell players for high(ish) fees, and that doesn’t seem to work in L2.

What we need to do is build a team/squad to get us out of this league first and then get established in league 1 first

Brentford is the model, or the latest successful example of it.

The model is not the problem. Sure you can make bigger margins on players in higher leagues, thats obvious.

The model can work in league 2 as well. Too many of our fans blame the model and not its implementation. Its possible to build a squad to get of of this league and stick to the model. The model doesn't mean every player has to be under 25, it just means if you are going to invest in players (non loans) then you need to treat that as an asset that can gain value and not depreciate. Experienced players can meet that criteria, Gladwin signed on a free and was sold for something right?

This seasons failure is down to two things. 1) Appointing Lindsey when he clearly wasn't the best choice. 2) The recruitment which sits largely with Sandro but also with Lindsey has hard far too many misses to be considered good enough. Chorley/Garner did a much better job at the same thing the year before, in much tougher circumstances, and that just shows how shit Sandro/Lindsey were. The connections of Chorley/Garner and their knowledge did us very with a small squad.

Running a sustainable club that looks to sell players and reinvest is the way forward. Sure we would all love the investment to come first, and then hope you can make money from the players afterward but that's not the way this works.

In this model the two most important people are director of football and head coach. I think Morris has something, though i would have picked Artell. Sandro has shown fuck all though, and had Clem not signed Austin ( a worrying precedent to overrule your head football guy) we would be proper fucked at the moment.

Replace Sandro asap and lets start moving forward.

DMC

« Reply #87 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:00:46 »

This part does concern me a lot.
I think it's more the style of how Morris wants them to press
Peter Venkman

« Reply #88 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:08:58 »

The thing is mate we have had a metric shit ton of injuries all season its not just since Morris has been with us.

I would think we have had more players out injured this season than ever in my 50 years of following Swindon, almost every player at some point barring Hutton, Brynn and possibly Wakeling have suffered injuries of over several weeks out.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, March 20, 2023, 13:44:49 »

But again, if they are not capable of playing that way and its just going to cause injury and squad chaos, then stop playing that way. Much as with the formation, Morris needs to play to what he has, not what he desires to do, this season at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: