Poll
Question: Lindsey:
Give him the season - 19 (16.8%)
Time for a change - 94 (83.2%)
Total Voters: 109

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Current Management  (Read 18900 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:09:21 »

What’s the point of signing Austin for 6 months if, as likely, we spend that 6 months floundering around mid table in L2?

I realise that that’s not the intention but with Lindsey in charge it seems inevitable.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:12:43 »

As for replacements for SL, we could just dip into the obvious myriad of managerial super talent that exists on the Swindon Town Facebook page. I'm sure most would command only a nominal salary so we'd be saving money in the process!

TBF a situation that seems pretty reflected on here ATM  Wink Wink

I remain somewhat bemused how many of our fan base managed to survive the Diamandis years, McMahon or in fact any of the 21st Century without doing themselves quite the mischief.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:21:01 »

Another thing that passed me by at the time was a comment from Lindsey about fielding the biggest players available v Cobblers.

He said it wasn’t premeditated as he prefers small, technical players. That’s why we’re getting battered in midfield by the cloggers. There’s no way he’s going to sign a Grant type.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:23:58 »

TBF a situation that seems pretty reflected on here ATM  Wink Wink

I remain somewhat bemused how many of our fan base managed to survive the Diamandis years, McMahon or in fact any of the 21st Century without doing themselves quite the mischief.

For all the shit off the pitch in those years, the football was not boring as it is now. That’s the clincher for me. We’re predictably boring, and I don’t look forward to seeing this team play. It will drive away a sizeable chunk of fans that returned last year.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:26:21 »

TBF a situation that seems pretty reflected on here ATM  Wink Wink

There would have been far less methods to put points across that there are these days. I imagine the very basic and early football forums would have been pretty much the only way and these were not massively popular? Now you've got multiple forums, podcasts and a plethora of social media platforms for everyone to have their say.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:29:42 »

Before forums the only way to make your displeasure known were the time honoured ‘what a load of rubbish’ and ‘insert manager’s name out’.

‘Get that scouser out, get that scouser out’ was my fav.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:30:59 »

TBF a situation that seems pretty reflected on here ATM  Wink Wink

Mcmahon may have been hated etc but winning div3 and battling to stay in division 2 is a dreamworld, compared to where we are now making up the numbers in div 4.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:37:10 »

you go to the football, yeah to support your team, but surely, you want to be entertained also.

This is not entertaining football. You want excitement, adrenaline, something thats going to get you off your seat, scream, shout, sing. You want a chance that the team might do something, win, score, at the mo9ment, we not even fucking shooting!!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:43:37 »

you go to the football, yeah to support your team, but surely, you want to be entertained also.

This is not entertaining football. You want excitement, adrenaline, something thats going to get you off your seat, scream, shout, sing. You want a chance that the team might do something, win, score, at the mo9ment, we not even fucking shooting!!
I agree, I am not win at all costs like the Cowley/Evans/Flitcroft style sides, I know many want wins at ALL costs but I want to be entertained too, Northampton was a tough watch and it was a great win but fucking hell if we played like that week in and week out I would lose interest in watching us totally.

Its close to that now with the dullest football I have seen in years at Swindon, since Williams regime, innefective sideways/backward passing and boring without many chances being created, its still a surprise when we do actually win a game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 12:48:16 »

There would have been far less methods to put points across that there are these days. I imagine the very basic and early football forums would have been pretty much the only way and these were not massively popular? Now you've got multiple forums, podcasts and a plethora of social media platforms for everyone to have their say.

Before forums the only way to make your displeasure known were the time honoured ‘what a load of rubbish’ and ‘insert manager’s name out’.

‘Get that scouser out, get that scouser out’ was my fav.

There were definitely fora (is that the word) in the McMahon era, I first joined some sort of STFC forum when I was living in Newcastle at Uni so pre 1996, I think this place existed (or a version thereof) in the darkest days of Diamandis, plus there was the unofficial one...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 13:51:15 »

We were going bust 2 years ago and Clem saved us. A couple of bad results shouldn’t deflect from the bigger picture.

For the love of christ, I really thought we were past using our previous financial position to exonerate on the pitch dross. "At least we have a club" a happy clapping meme at this point.

Let it die.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 13:53:11 »

I’m sure Power had a 5 year plan. So you another 5 year plan? Sorry but STFC should not be content with bobbling around L2 with the odd year in L1. 5 year plans won’t renew season tickets in a couple of months that’s for sure.

The type of 'wait and see' to death attitude that almost helped allow Lee Power to kill the football club.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 14:05:49 »

You can have a 5 year plan for the business aspects and the structural side to the game - like Academy development, stadium purchase and development etc.  These are all ultimately to deliver the best possible platform for delivering results on the field.  That bit requires a combination - a long term plan delivering talent as needed, a short term one to deliver the best results possible now.  In Div 4 I simply fail to believe we cannot be doing both.  I get it, if we were much higher up the pyramid, we'd have to become more selective on using financial resources.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 14:19:55 »

Million Dollar Man made a pertinent point on the Advisory Board thread regarding the lack of presented 1,3,5 and 10 year plans that Clem made in his statement;

My commitments to supporters and the wider community of Swindon and surrounding areas:
I will always be open and transparent on all matters in regard to STFC.
I will provide regular engagement and communication with the supporters and the wider community of Swindon and surrounding areas.
I will build a sustainable future for STFC, investing in the infrastructure of the Club with the aim to take it forwards to being a stable Championship Club.
I will build a sensible structure and present a 1, 3, 5 and 10 year plan that will aim to carry and develop STFC into the future.
Further to all of the above, I will not take a salary or any personal fee payments from the Club for the time I own a controlling interest in the club

I suspect it would be something like.

1 - reduce historic debt
3 - further reduce historic debt, complete CG Purchase
5 - something something about league 1/championship
10 - sell the club.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 14:35:49 by Bob's Orange » Logged

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 14:28:21 »

Million Dollar Man made a pertinent point on the Advisory Board thread regarding the lack of presented 1,3,5 and 10 year plans that Clem made in his statement;

My commitments to supporters and the wider community of Swindon and surrounding areas:
I will always be open and transparent on all matters in regard to STFC.
I will provide regular engagement and communication with the supporters and the wider community of Swindon and surrounding areas.
I will build a sustainable future for STFC, investing in the infrastructure of the Club with the aim to take it forwards to being a stable Championship Club.
I will build a sensible structure and present a 1, 3, 5 and 10 year plan that will aim to carry and develop STFC into the future.
Further to all of the above, I will not take a salary or any personal fee payments from the Club for the time I own a controlling interest in the club

I suspect it would be something like.

1 - reduce historic debt
3 - further reduce historic debt, complete CG sale
5 - something something about league 1/championship
10 - sell the club.

I would change 3 to complete CG purchase or you may cause mayhem with the tin hatted brigade suggesting that he plans to flog the ground.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: