Poll
Question: Lindsey:
Give him the season - 19 (16.8%)
Time for a change - 94 (83.2%)
Total Voters: 109

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Current Management  (Read 18730 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, January 3, 2023, 20:09:26 »

So, if I got this correctly, our whole policy, style and transfers is based on 'long shots'? That's very concerning

Depending on your view point we struggle to a) take long shots b) hit the target when we do c) get close enough to take one.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 05:18:34 »

I think if you are gonna do it. You have to do it right now. Like before the end of the week. Maybe I've looked at the fixtures wrong but we don't have a game until the 14th? Nice little break to get a new manager settled.

Tbh, I don't really trust the club to get it sorted after the mess last time. So probs best to stick with what we've got and hope for the best.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 05:23:58 »

A cure for insomniacs Swindon v Salford

derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 07:37:20 »

Well, Lindsey in the adver this morning

For those who cant get it

Scott Lindsey: Signing experience does not guarantee consistency

SWINDON Town head coach Scott Lindsey hit back at suggestions the Robins must try to add more experienced players to their squad during the January transfer window.

Regularly labelled as a young and inexperienced squad by even those inside SN1, Town partially addressed that potential shortcoming by bringing 33-year-old Charlie Austin to the club.

But the Town boss insists he and technical director Sandro Di Michele will not be scouring the over-30 market in the next few weeks in a bid to solve the club’s inconsistencies on the pitch.

Lindsey stated – after a surprise defeat to Colchester United on New Year’s Day – that possessing veteran players does not always guarantee consistent results and the recent downturn in form is not simply down to an absence of know-how in the team.

He said: “Having experienced players can help, but I’ve also known teams who have got experience be inconsistent.

“You only have to look at Colchester – that was only their fifth league win all season. They’re the oldest or second-oldest team in the division. But fair play to them, they did well to beat us.

“They’re an experienced team, but we just didn’t perform on the day. I felt that they were there to be beat, but we let them off the hook.”

Following a decent first 20 minutes at the JobServe Community Stadium, Town eased up and allowed Colchester to take a one-goal lead into the break.

Lindsey revealed his half-time team talk featured some home truths to his players but was reluctant to share much more.

He said: “We spoke about some patterns at half-time, we did talk about being a little bit more efficient with that.

“But that’s probably all I can tell you about what I said at half-time because the rest would not be printable.”

Town’s blank against the U’s was the first time they had failed to score since a 0-0 draw at home to AFC Wimbledon on December 10.

Lindsey believes that while Swindon will not be guaranteed to net in every single game Austin features, they are likely to give themselves a higher chance now that the Hungerford-born goal-getter has signed.

On Austin, Lindsey said: “He’ll bring experience and know-how. He’s a very experienced player, so he’ll know how to make runs and get across people in the box, how to find spaces, how to lean into people, how to use his body.

“I don’t want to be disrespectful to the players I’ve already got, but I’m sure that he will add something with the experience and the way he plays.”

Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 07:58:00 »

That interview spanks vibes of ‘going nowhere’ to me.

Now, ain't that just like me?
DMC

« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 08:16:49 »

That interview spanks vibes of ‘going nowhere’ to me.
Nah that was straight after a defeat he rambled for 10 mins. Interesting to note though that in that one part he managed to say we don't really need experience then saying Charlie will help the team with his............experience
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 08:31:54 »

I did notice that
doomster

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 08:37:58 »

I love the way after Colchester it’s all because it’s a young squad.  Now experience is not the answer.  Unbelievable contradictions.

That said I do agree in that Lindsey seems to have one formation and way of playing and mid game his substitutions are replacement bodies as opposed to a plan b way of playing.  Whether it be formation or style change.  This to me is the crux of the issue as a coach you have to develop alternate strategies for when plan A is failing.

Still waiting to see any evidence of this from Lindsey.

I am sure he will blame not having a target man for this but reality is he could have implemented a get the ball into the box quicker approach with current squad, or get ball upto wingers quicker etc.etc.   He has chosen to go with fannying around sideways and backwards passing as his only method.  I have no sympathy as he is responsible for our setup and strategy he is such a one trick pony.  

Unfortunately I think he will maintain backing through January transfer window and we will drift to mid table mediocrity.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 08:59:02 »

'Lindsey revealed his half-time team talk featured some home truths to his players but was reluctant to share much more.

He said: “We spoke about some patterns at half-time, we did talk about being a little bit more efficient with that.

“But that’s probably all I can tell you about what I said at half-time because the rest would not be printable.”

Seems like SL attempted the hair-dryer treatment at half time but from memory we didn't exactly come out all guns blazing in the second half. As others have said SL's problem is that he's now absolutely determined to stick to one way of playing and hoping that it eeks out enough results to get us into the play-offs somehow. The frustrating thing is that the 4-diamond - 2 formation that worked a treat at Mansfield didn't work so well at Stockport and seems to have now been completely dispelled to history, in fact not even being used as a tactical tweak midway through games to attempt to change anything.

The way SL seems to setup is all very 'safe' or 'rigid'. All very well if it works but results have been patchy at best. I still don't think Clem will fire him until he's given him a shot of the January transfer window and what they can do in the last part of the season. By then it's probably going to be too late to salvage this season, and look to get a manager in towards the end of this season to prepare for a proper tilt at getting up properly next.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:32:33 »

Maybe I've looked at the fixtures wrong but we don't have a game until the 14th? Nice little break to get a new manager settled.

Correct, we were playing someone who ended up in the FA Cup 3rd round and rearranged, I think.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:35:17 »

A cure for insomniacs Swindon v Salford

Still quicker than we are.

Holy shit that really does illustrate it.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:36:15 »

The core problem is the complete lack of urgency when breaking forward. We value possession so highly that we daren't try risky through balls for fast players to run onto. Even when we do break, we turn back - Gladwin is a particular culprit in this respect. Maybe we just don't have players of the calibre of Payne to drive forward or McKirdy to run onto chances, but we are good at close control and have plenty of pace in Hutton, Wakeling and RHM. If Williams was played centrally and Reed allowed to operate in the way that suited him last year breaking forward from our own box and passing, then we would give ourselves far more chances. It's all just so damn slow.

Instead of "Forward!", can we all shout "Faster!" this year?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:38:38 »

Correct, we were playing someone who ended up in the FA Cup 3rd round and rearranged, I think.

Yeah we were supposed to be facing Stevenage this weekend but they are in FA Cup 3rd round action.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:41:10 »

Nah that was straight after a defeat he rambled for 10 mins. Interesting to note though that in that one part he managed to say we don't really need experience then saying Charlie will help the team with his............experience

Clown show at this point.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2023, 09:42:54 »

Seems like SL attempted the hair-dryer treatment at half time but from memory we didn't exactly come out all guns blazing in the second half.

Because the players don't really believe in him.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: