Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cobblers v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 21940 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:02:58 »

The thing is, last seasons team wasn't good enough either.  They were great for where we started the season as a club, but they get a lot of good grace because of it.  Not going up is a failure in this division for our club.  That's not being too big for our boots, that's just based on historical records - I accept we are currently what we are, a mid to top table also ran.

The defence is better at defending but much worse on the ball.  You may argue that is good, but it does become a problem if the team still wants to pass it about.  All in all it's marginally better than last season I think, but it wasn't our strength then.

Midfield is worse - Payne is a miss at this level and Reed is not being used the same way he was last season.

Upfront is a shadow of last seasons and we were not the full package then as most fans agreed we were a forward light and Davison was probably shy of what we really needed to be top 3.  If you insist on possession then you need movement and a direct running threat, a something out of nothing player as well.  We have neither.

If we don't improve the squad then you have to move Williams into the 10 role with two other midfielders behind him.  He has to get into the pay and dictate more.  Whe Clayton returns, or any other CH, I'd move FBT back to left back and Lavinier to right back.  Push Hutton to the attacking role and see if he can really shine when released of defensive dutes.  It has to be Wakeling on the left with Austin/Jephcott through the middle.  Should be enough to keep us in the hun for play offs.  The season will then rest on a bit of a lottery to be a success.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:05:59 by RobertT » Logged
DMC

« Reply #361 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:12:33 »

That's what we are saying i think, this defence with last seasons midfield/attack and we have a top 3 team. This defence shits over last seasons imo
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:22:51 »

That's what we are saying i think, this defence with last seasons midfield/attack and we have a top 3 team. This defence shits over last seasons imo

McDonald makes more errors in a game than what the centre halves last season did all together 😭😂.

FBT is the one I wish we had last season though.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:28:28 »

Solid win. Brynn brilliant, FBT the POTS so far carrying on his form. Have to keep him. Lavenier best game in a town shirt and what a fucking rocket for the goal. McDonald dreadful first half, better in second. Shade took goal well, less shit than usual still gotta do more. Midfield lacked bite, need someone to come in and smash into people and win ball, bringing Darcy on was bizarre, he can’t tackle and is really lightweight. Iandolo solid in midfield, could tell when he went off imo. Jephcott didn’t stop running, pressed well.

Brilliant turnout from the fans. 1450 and however many in the home end. Fucking disgusting from Lindsey, Day, Gunning and Mildenhall who couldn’t be fucked to come over. 1450 fans, Christmas time, money tight for a lot, and you can’t even come over , jumped up fucks. Lots Players went out of way to applaud fans on social media, which I find interesting when they don’t always do it, and they’ve done it when the guy in charge walked straight down the tunnel, again.

this manager doesn’t get us promoted, I’m pretty confident with that, but 5 or so new faces Inc Austin, let’s see what happens….
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:30:06 »

McDonald makes more errors in a game than what the centre halves last season did all together 😭😂.

Also, it’s gotta be FBT or Austin as captain, McDonald is a mute. Conroy got blasted for being quiet, Macdonald is even quieter.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:31:44 »

Dion Conroy likes this 👍
DMC

« Reply #366 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:38:14 »

He does i am not denying that. He also makes more tackles and blocks than any of the others last season. If he had their passing ability he wouldn't be here. Tackling, heading clearing he is twice the defender any of last seasons are
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:45:43 »

Quote from: Boeta
One positive from the coaches this year though, is we aren't a soft touch from set pieces as we used to be. (Walsall game can be given a bit of a pass as first was unlucky and second FBT was off)

don't know why I'm mentioning it now, but even the Walsall second we were exactly where we were supposed to be.

unfortunately an individual mistake that did it, they happen. I'm glad he was immense second half last night, shows there's no underlying problem
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:50:04 »

To beat a top 3 side away is an excellent result. Most of us would have been happy with a draw beforehand.
I am disappointed with the negativity - I suspect it’s the Lindsey out brigade who were hoping for a defeat to increase pressure on him. We are now 5 points off top 3 - if results go in our favour on Sunday that could be down to 2. Add the right players in January and we can challenge for autos.
I watched on iFollow- well done those who attended in person.
We struggled in the first 25 mins - good work by Brynn kept us level. We gave the ball away in dangerous areas several times in that period - Khan and McDonald particularly culpable.
First goal was our first fluent attack - good finish by Shade. After that we did ok until half time - they had a lot of set pieces (we do give away soft free kicks at times) which were generally defended well. Early second half we were on the front foot a bit more - the Lavinier goal came after a period of pressure. After that Northampton basically threw high balls forward and our defence dealt with them ok - inevitably there were some near things but no clear cut chances.
I think substitutions were inevitable second half with this being the second of 3 games in 6 days. What was clear is that when Darcy and Reed replaced Khan and Iandolo we lacked some physicality in midfield. However, a more negative manager would have brought on Minturn to add a defender - and this may have led us to drop even deeper so I’m glad we didn’t.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:51:42 »

Brilliant turnout from the fans. 1450 and however many in the home end. Fucking disgusting from Lindsey, Day, Gunning and Mildenhall who couldn’t be fucked to come over. 1450 fans, Christmas time, money tight for a lot, and you can’t even come over , jumped up fucks. Lots Players went out of way to applaud fans on social media, which I find interesting when they don’t always do it, and they’ve done it when the guy in charge walked straight down the tunnel, again.

this manager doesn’t get us promoted, I’m pretty confident with that, but 5 or so new faces Inc Austin, let’s see what happens….

Nah fair play to him, if I’d been getting abused for weeks I wouldn’t give a fuck about going over to the fans either.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 14:58:27 »

He's very well spoken😀

So, give no fucks
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 15:02:53 »

Dion Conroy likes this 👍

Give me Conroy over this version of Macdonald any day.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 15:03:50 »

He does i am not denying that. He also makes more tackles and blocks than any of the others last season. If he had their passing ability he wouldn't be here. Tackling, heading clearing he is twice the defender any of last seasons are

He’s here because his legs are gone imo.

He did much better second half yesterday, but I’m not at all convinced by him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 15:06:23 »

Give me Conroy over this version of Macdonald any day.

Fair enough.
Not sure many would share that opinion but if that’s how you see it…

I always thought he was liability.
I JBZelieve We Will Win
JBZ reborn

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Friday, December 30, 2022, 15:06:45 »

Conroy  Girl Giggle
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: