Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Walsall pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 19350 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:57:36 »

John Gorman, decent coach, nice guy and a people person who behind the scenes gelled things together but didn't make a very good manager.

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:57:41 »

Or just lashing shots willy nilly.
No we have probably had less than 5 of that type of shot, Jephcott and Wakeling are guilty...oh and Adelyoe last week are 3 that come to mind.

Don't think Adoloye's even counts a shot!

It is strange that we've had very few one on ones all season with such decent passers in the team.   We have no pace of course but you'd have thought playing as a striker with Gladwin, Williams and Reed behind you all you would have to do is make some runs and they will find you.

To miss those options out and focus on crosses from the right to nobody just seems wrong.   Perhaps the strikers really are just shit but I'm not sure they are and Jephcott's record at Plymouth is half decent..
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 18:27:12 »

We essentially have a very shite version of Luke Williams.

Luke Williams has Notts County top btw with a whopping 63 goals scored in 24 games.

I'll get hammered for this but I'd actually take him back. If Clem and Sandro are adamant that this is the style we are going to play, may as well get somebody in who knows how to coach it.

The thing is, we can't just completely abandon our philosophy because we don't have the personnel to do so. We don't have an enforcer, a target man. Natural wingers. We just need to do the same thing but better. And faster. With a tad more tactical nous.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 18:35:07 »

Where does all this Lindsey is a good coach stuff actually come from?

He's in his his 50's and has only been a first team coach at 3 league clubs:

At Lincoln he was a first team coach during their relegation from the football league.
At Forest Green he got the job because of Cooper.
As for his return to STFC I'd be interested to know who chose to bring him back. Was it Garner or someone like Angus?

Based on his career there's no evidence he's rated outside of STFC and dare I say people at the club may be a bit bias and have an inflated view of him?

I'm genuinely not sure what redeeming features he has? We kept getting the 'plays the game the right way' line trotted out when he was appointed. That phrase is one of my pet hates as what does it even mean? The 'right way' is a way of playing that is successful surely, this total football endless passing stuff isn't the 'right way' if it doesn't get results is it?!

Lindsey may be an above average youth coach but there is absolutely no evidence of him being capable at this level and the same can be said for his entire coaching team based on the evidence available.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 18:53:44 »

Where does all this Lindsey is a good coach stuff actually come from?

He's in his his 50's and has only been a first team coach at 3 league clubs:

At Lincoln he was a first team coach during their relegation from the football league.
At Forest Green he got the job because of Cooper.
As for his return to STFC I'd be interested to know who chose to bring him back. Was it Garner or someone like Angus?

Based on his career there's no evidence he's rated outside of STFC and dare I say people at the club may be a bit bias and have an inflated view of him?

I'm genuinely not sure what redeeming features he has? We kept getting the 'plays the game the right way' line trotted out when he was appointed. That phrase is one of my pet hates as what does it even mean? The 'right way' is a way of playing that is successful surely, this total football endless passing stuff isn't the 'right way' if it doesn't get results is it?!

Lindsey may be an above average youth coach but there is absolutely no evidence of him being capable at this level and the same can be said for his entire coaching team based on the evidence available.

The Lindsey is a good coach talk comes from exactly the same place as the Lindsey is bad coach talk comes from.

Uninformed opinions based on speculation.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 19:23:42 »

Hardly speculation. It’s there for all to see clearly.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 19:38:19 »

Hardly speculation. It’s there for all to see clearly.

What is?
His coaching credentials aren’t are they?
His management, his tactical nous, his decision making - yes.

Being manager and being a coach aren’t the same thing. Even with the recent name change of manager to head coach. Still not the same thing.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 19:43:38 »

But we don’t have a manager as such. We have Lindsey as head coach. Presume his coaching and tactics are combined to present us fans with the tremendous spectacle we see on match days.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 19:51:39 »

But we don’t have a manager as such. We have Lindsey as head coach. Presume his coaching and tactics are combined to present us fans with the tremendous spectacle we see on match days.

He’s the Manager, he picks the team, formation and tactics. Don’t give a fuck what title we give him. He’s the manager - so he is the one making the decision as to what he / his team coach. In that regards he’s not going a good job. We all know that, that part is very obvious for all to see…

However, what I’m saying is as devils advocate is that - if he wasn’t the one making the decisions he might be a very capable coach at coaching other peoples ideas / tactics / style of play / whatever you want to call it.

That’s the point I’m trying to get across.

He could very well be a capable coach - when being giving specific instructions as to what to coach…
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 20:24:53 »

Fair points you make.

So, give no fucks
I JBZelieve We Will Win
JBZ reborn

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 20:44:32 »

Uninformed opinions based on speculation.

Hence the 80% bollocks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 09:14:04 »

Funny isn’t it, because I can’t take to him at all.
I feel the same.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 14:45:02 »

He’s the Manager, he picks the team, formation and tactics. Don’t give a fuck what title we give him. He’s the manager - so he is the one making the decision as to what he / his team coach. In that regards he’s not going a good job. We all know that, that part is very obvious for all to see…

However, what I’m saying is as devils advocate is that - if he wasn’t the one making the decisions he might be a very capable coach at coaching other peoples ideas / tactics / style of play / whatever you want to call it.

That’s the point I’m trying to get across.

He could very well be a capable coach - when being giving specific instructions as to what to coach…

I guess you could extract the obvious management things and still find some evidence on coaching.  Do the players look to be improving at doing the same things they have been asked to do all season?  I'd argue there is zero evidence of that, we look much like we did at the start of the season quality wise.  I do not see something we have worked on for months looking any much better than it did back then.  Are our corner routines getting better?  Does someone like Shade look to be making better decisions? making more runs in the right locations? and so on.

I know some will argue that we are a bit better, but I only remember one game all season where we looked good, against Mansfield.  Everything else has been within the margins of each performance.  A couple of teams have looked much better than us, or more competent, many have looked the same as us (even if with different styles) and a couple were rank poor.  No win has been a gallup and no loss has been without moments of possibility on our side in those majority games.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 16:52:46 »

Might be a bit controversial but Alex Ferguson wasn’t the best coach, what he did was employ great coaches to work with/under him.

He was however probably the best man manager
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2022, 17:30:26 »

Might be a bit controversial but Alex Ferguson wasn’t the best coach, what he did was employ great coaches to work with/under him.

He was however probably the best man manager

That is absolutely true. Sir Alex wasn't taking training, he employed top coaches to do that for him.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: