Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Walsall pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 19534 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 14:25:30 »

It's boring as fuck - no doubt about that.   Even when we play teams that are at the bottom and getting stuffed every week, we scrape a 1 goal win at best.   Yes we beat a shockingly piss poor Rochdale 3-0 but that was with mckirdy.

That five goal at Mansfield does feel like a massive outlier now. Games we've scored more than once this season:

Rochdale H 3-0
Sutton H 3-2
Grimsby A 2-1
Hartlepool H 2-1
Mansfield A 5-2

23 other games with one goal or none - 12 one goal, 11 none. That's including all three cups* for 28 games.

Back of an envelope maths says we score 1.5 goals or more (in the bookies terms) in about 18% of our games.

I'm not much of a football tactics bod, but I think you'd have to say that is fucking dreadful.

* Maybe best not to include the cups, as we played 5 games which we lost on aggregate 1-14.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 15:52:48 »

I can see Lindsey being given until the transfer window closes as it would mess up Sandro's recruitment if there was no head coach.

I'm no fan on Lindsey, but equally I'm not in the sack him now camp, we do seem to be a few players light, certainly a striker (maybe Austin ?) and we can hopefully switch to a 4312, switch Williams to play through the middle in a free role in front of midfield, and partner Jephcott & Austin and we may become more creative, if deep into the transfer window or when it closes we have really dropped in the table with barely any points, then and only then can I see Sandro & Clem reacting.

The other concern I have is can we rely on Sandro to make the right appointment, in the summer there seemed to be a few candidates floating around and he ended up going with Lindsey who seemed set to go to Charlton if compo could be agreed, but instead was given the head coach role as players liked him.
I think it would be time to look for someone who wont be taking their first head coach role, and therein also lies a problem - it is only a head coach role - not a manager role, I understand we want some continuity with recruitment if the head coach leaves but surely there is room for compromise.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #287 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 16:49:15 »

That five goal at Mansfield does feel like a massive outlier now. Games we've scored more than once this season:

Rochdale H 3-0
Sutton H 3-2
Grimsby A 2-1
Hartlepool H 2-1
Mansfield A 5-2

23 other games with one goal or none - 12 one goal, 11 none. That's including all three cups* for 28 games.

Back of an envelope maths says we score 1.5 goals or more (in the bookies terms) in about 18% of our games.

I'm not much of a football tactics bod, but I think you'd have to say that is fucking dreadful.

* Maybe best not to include the cups, as we played 5 games which we lost on aggregate 1-14.
On the subject of stats I found these quite interesting (if you are into stats as I obviously am Smiley )

I know its stats, stats and more stats...but

We are 1st/24 with the highest number of shots in L2 on 312 with Stevenage 2nd/24 with 279.

We have only 33.3% of our shots on target in L2 13th/24, Grimsby and Tranmere are top with 37.4%.

When it comes to goals per shot its only 0.08 leaving us 19th/24.

Goals per shot on target is 0.23% leaving us 22nd/24 with only Sutton and Gills worse than us.

We are bang in the middle of players used in L2 having used 24 players with Stevenage only using 20 players so far but Crawley using a huge 30 players.

We have the 3rd lowest average age of players used on 25.3 with Crewe the youngest on 24.8 and Mansfield the oldest playing squad at 28.9.

We are 21st/24 on fouls committed on 217 fouls, Donny are lowest on 189 but AFC Wimbledon have committed 309 fouls.

Yet we are 2nd/24 for yellow cards with 47 with Wimbledon top with 53 yellows. Also only Stockport (5) and Bradford(3) and Crawley(3) have had more reds than us with 2.

We are 3rd/24 for the number of crosses with 429, Mansfield(1) have 486 and Stockport(2) 442.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 16:58:14 »

so we are fashioning shit quality shooting positions. IMO

other than the very odd scramble I struggle to remember many 'he should have buried that/worked the keeper' chances
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 16:58:47 »

On the subject of stats I found these quite interesting (if you are into stats as I obviously am Smiley )

I know its stats, stats and more stats...but

We are 1st/24 with the highest number of shots in L2 on 312 with Stevenage 2nd/24 with 279.

We have only 33.3% of our shots on target in L2 13th/24, Grimsby and Tranmere are top with 37.4%.

When it comes to goals per shot its only 0.08 leaving us 19th/24.

Goals per shot on target is 0.23% leaving us 22nd/24 with only Sutton and Gills worse than us.

We are bang in the middle of players used in L2 having used 24 players with Stevenage only using 20 players so far but Crawley using a huge 30 players.

We have the 3rd lowest average age of players used on 25.3 with Crewe the youngest on 24.8 and Mansfield the oldest playing squad at 28.9.

We are 21st/24 on fouls committed on 217 fouls, Donny are lowest on 189 but AFC Wimbledon have committed 309 fouls.

Yet we are 2nd/24 for yellow cards with 47 with Wimbledon top with 53 yellows. Also only Stockport (5) and Bradford(3) and Crawley(3) have had more reds than us with 2.

We are 3rd/24 for the number of crosses with 429, Mansfield(1) have 486 and Stockport(2) 442.

Genuinely amazed we are top of having shots.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #290 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:04:30 »

Genuinely amazed we are top of having shots.
Yes it truly surprised me, but shot conversion....welll thats no shock.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #291 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:06:12 »

so we are fashioning shit quality shooting positions. IMO
Or just lashing shots willy nilly.

other than the very odd scramble I struggle to remember many 'he should have buried that/worked the keeper' chances
No we have probably had less than 5 of that type of shot, Jephcott and Wakeling are guilty...oh and Adelyoe last week are 3 that come to mind.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:36:00 »

Lindsey wouldn’t be a first team coach at any other league club yet alone manager. Him and the whole coaching team are so sub standard it’s actually a but embarrassing. Lindsey just constantly hides behind pointless stats and is completely unable to positively influence matches during the 90 minutes. We’re awful to watch and it’s just getting worse by the week. If Clem has anything about him he’d admit the whole Sandro and Lindsey thing is incompatible with league 2 football and make a change to give the whole of January to new people to turn things around.

This. So painfully out of his depth its embarrassing.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:38:11 »

Lindsey is probably great to have around as a coach in the background but not as a manager.

So, give no fucks
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:43:05 »

What’s the point of retaining Lindsey as a coach? It’s his coaching that’s got us in this mess.

It would also mean any new man would have to be of a similar footballing philosophy.

No thanks
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:43:50 »

I can't help but like the guy. I wish he was more like Sheridan.

I hope when this is over, wherever that is, he gets a good coaching job somewhere.

it won't be here.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:45:29 »

I can't help but like the guy. I wish he was more like Sheridan.

I hope when this is over, wherever that is, he gets a good coaching job somewhere.

it won't be here.

Funny isn’t it, because I can’t take to him at all.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:48:51 »

What’s the point of retaining Lindsey as a coach? It’s his coaching that’s got us in this mess.

It would also mean any new man would have to be of a similar footballing philosophy.

No thanks

I didn't specifically mean at Swindon just saying he's more suitable as part of a coaching set up rather than bein a front man as I don't recall anyone complaining when he was in the background under Garner.

So, give no fucks
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:52:47 »

No thanks

…because he might actually be a good coach?
I’d argue it’s not his coaching that’s letting us down but the tactics that he’s choosing to coach.
If someone else was making the decision on what to coach he might still be a good coach at coaching those instructions.

I dunno because I’ve never seen him coach

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 17:54:10 »

Bad manager doesn’t automatically equal bad coach.
Good coach doesn’t automatically equal good manager.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: