Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Walsall pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 19976 times)
DMC

« Reply #270 on: Monday, December 26, 2022, 20:42:36 »

Charlie Austin would improve us it's not just about goals. Players like Williams will thrive off him. In no way a pop at Wakeling but he just isn't the right kind of striker to bring others in to play. We get it into him he can't hold it up and the lads who are trying to link up are fucked. We need better up front and behind them
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, December 26, 2022, 21:10:37 »

Watched about 10 mins of the first half and 5 mins of the second.

Glad I didn't bother with the rest.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Monday, December 26, 2022, 22:11:32 »

Watched about 10 mins of the first half and 5 mins of the second.

Glad I didn't bother with the rest.
You didn’t miss much at all. Feels like a few steps backwards after the decent performance at Barrow. Very much lacking anything of note in the final 3rd today.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, December 26, 2022, 22:14:36 »

2 things i noticed today:

1) do we ever get better after taking Wakeling off?

2) the players we sub on/off are like for like every time, never any change in tactic really, just slightly worse players coming on for their replacements
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Monday, December 26, 2022, 23:36:17 »

I read but haven't posted in ages on here. Apologies for the rant. I haven't read back and probably won't bother tonight.

Today was dire. Start to finish.

Non-existent atmosphere, 10200odd and it was genuinely silent. There is absolutely nothing to get excited at in the way we play at home. Last season and this season it is just so dull to watch regardless of the result. I turned up today knowing it would be dull. 3 shots on target and I think the goal was 2 of those.
Even when we scored, there was no real excitement. No buzz from the fans. 40% win record at home over two seasons is pretty shit for a team around the play offs and I'll be amazed if attendances stay as they are.

Everything we do is so slow, there is no tempo and no drive. We piss around the back with the ball between Reed and the two CB. To be fair to them, the amount of times they look up and see no movement is painful. FBT was clearly getting annoyed in the 2nd half, all our players static.
On the rare occasion we do drive forward, the final ball was shit or we just ran into a Walsall defender who easily defended it.

Trying to play how we did last season with players that in my opinion are worse was never going to go great. I can't think of any position we have strengthened. Bar the GK who is solid I think we are worse in every area and there is zero strength on the bench!

I can't see how Austin would improve this side. What chance would he have put away today?
We seem scared to cross it half the time and just fanny around with it. An Austin/Wakeling front two would interest me but I can't see it happening. Where was plan B today? Why not change the formation that was clearly not working, stick two up front and give it a go.

The only players today I thought did ok were FBT (my MoM for us), Reed and Iandolo. Other than that, Meh.

The fact we are 5th just highlights how shit this division is apart from a few teams who are pulling away. I'll still be at Northampton but the thought of driving up for the home game against Grimsby for what is likely to be another shit home performance doesn't interest me. 9 goals scored in our last 8 home games. I can't think of the last home game I walked away from thinking "wow, I enjoyed that. Definitely worth it".
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 00:20:25 »

It's boring as fuck - no doubt about that.   Even when we play teams that are at the bottom and getting stuffed every week, we scrape a 1 goal win at best.   Yes we beat a shockingly piss poor Rochdale 3-0 but that was with mckirdy.

Last week we pressed high up the pitch and won the game because of it.  This week the complete opposite and back to how we have been for months.

The squad is light but there's no way SL is maximising what we have.   Walsall are shit but play for set pieces and are fucking good at them.   We just don't seem to have a plan and are toothless as a result.

At the start of the season we looked like a lower mid table team, then had some decent results, but I think these flattered us and we really are just making up the numbers, which isn't good enough in div 4.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 10:55:51 »

Agree. We’ve seen really poor Swindon sides before, but few this boring. A manager’s job is to make the team better than the sum of its parts. To make these players look better than they otherwise would be. I’m almost certain that this management team has the opposite effect. The whole is weaker than the potential of the individuals on the pitch. And that’s why a change is needed.

And as an aside, it also bugs me and that Lindsey comes on the pitch and takes plaudits following a win, but if we lose, the players do a lap whilst he hides away.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 10:58:05 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 11:20:03 »

It’s almost getting to Paul Hart’s “we aren’t playing one up front” levels of mediocrity & dullness
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 11:27:03 »

It’s almost getting to Paul Hart’s “we aren’t playing one up front” levels of mediocrity & dullness
Harsh....but.....fair.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2022, 11:43:43 »

interesting comment.

in some games you'd say that was very harsh.

but after the last 6 I think it's fair enough. First half at Barrow was very good and yet we only scored 1, a penalty.

McKirdy is joint 4th highest scorer ffs!

J.Williams 6
L.Jephcott 5
J.Wakeling 5
H.McKirdy 2
T.Shade 2
R.Darcy 2
F.Blake-Tracy 1
R.Hepburn-Murphy 1
B.Gladwin 1
L.Reed 1
E.Iandolo 1
Jimmy HaveHave